Letham (Garth Avenue) Shops

saint-johns-toun

who, like me can remember when letham shops was worth going to? the papershop with the old wrinklies in their 100's working there, the hairdressers (which was also an electrics shop and as far back as I can remember a butchers) the grocers shop (I remember it best when it was owned by jim and angela stewart - they became like my 2nd parents when I was a kid) and of course Louis chippy, food was shit but Louis banter and service was awesome!!! his dad was a miserable sod tho.... used to avois the chippy if kids were hanging about outside for fear of being battered LAUGH OUT LOUD

ahhhh the good ol' days!

who, like me can remember when letham shops was worth going to? the papershop with the old wrinklies in their 100's working there, the hairdressers (which was also an electrics shop and as far back as I can remember a butchers) the grocers shop (I remember it best when it was owned by jim and angela stewart - they became like my 2nd parents when I was a kid) and of course Louis chippy, food was shit but Louis banter and service was awesome!!! his dad was a miserable sod tho.... used to avois the chippy if kids were hanging about outside for fear of being battered LAUGH OUT LOUD

ahhhh the good ol' days!

God used to hang about there before you were even born, who was your maw  :wink:

As a boy living at the Cluny end of Brahan terrace in the early 60s, I remember these shops being built, we called them the new shops. When they opened it was six or half a dozen whether I went there or Rannoch road when my dad sent me for the papers on a Sunday. A good thing was there was a post office, previously the nearest one was Taskers at the Letham road roundabout.

As a boy living at the Cluny end of Brahan terrace in the early 60s, I remember these shops being built, we called them the new shops. When they opened it was six or half a dozen whether I went there or Rannoch road when my dad sent me for the papers on a Sunday. A good thing was there was a post office, previously the nearest one was Taskers at the Letham road roundabout.

Our paths must have crossed

Used to be you could pay your rent up York Place IIRC? I used to go and get my old man 10 No. 6 from the ice cream van when I was wee. And the woman up the street used to ask the van man for two black men. :shock: Changed days.

I remember the rent office too, sometimes my mum would pay it at the main office downtown though i cant remember exactly where that was. I was sometimes sent by my mum to collect the family allowance from Taskers and never asked for any ID or letter of authority.

I remember the rent office too, sometimes my mum would pay it at the main office downtown though i cant remember exactly where that was. I was sometimes sent by my mum to collect the family allowance from Taskers and never asked for any ID or letter of authority.

The rent office downtown wis up that wee street between the Royal George and the Middle Church on Tay St, or you could go down that wee lane off George St beside thr Royal George

I used to live in Strathtay Rd in the step houses at the top off the path from the Tulloch so I used the Garth Ave. shops. When I wis back for the cup final I visited a good mate off mine who lives across the street fie the shops. Memories!!

i grew up in langside road but we didnt move their until 1976 - lived in struan road afore then

I moved out of Struan road in 1977 aged 12 used to frequent the chippy the spar and the paper shop daily, remember me and Steven Angus about 11 year old going in to the paper shop and I asked for a "men only" for my dad :) can still see the old wife's shocked face yet . Happy days.

I stayed in Firbank Road in the late 70s so it was Rannoch Road shops for me. If I was feeling adventurous I went to Tainsh. Garth Ave was in a different world for me then.

I remember when I was about 10 I helped with a milk round on Strathtay road. My god those feckin flats were a right pain in the arse. flat 1 flat 2 etc. how many flats are there on Strathtay road anyway?

Worked on the Rannoch Rd shops when they were built and when I wis home for the momentous occasion I noticed there wis scaffolding up at the shops. Thought to myself !!self you didnea do a bad job if they are just fixing them now,56 years ago I worked there

Worked on the Rannoch Rd shops when they were built and when I wis home for the momentous occasion I noticed there wis scaffolding up at the shops. Thought to myself !!self you didnea do a bad job if they are just fixing them now,56 years ago I worked there

They forgot to take it down when ye built them.been there since

John , did you work on the houses at the junction of Rannoch Road and Campsie Road ?

I remember taking cover behind one of the partially built ones , while the ground diagonally opposite was dynamited in preparation for the foundations being laid.

Somewhere hidden away I have a Photo taken from my upstairs bedroom in Strathtay Road looking towards Inveralmond before it became an Industrial estate and before the Flats were built in Strathtay Road .

Na you can't blame me for the houses, the other houses I worked on wis up Campsie Rd then turn right Cant remember the street name was 1956. Where about in Strathtay did you live, I left in 1966 no flats there then

I also left that year, 1st of May to be exact.

Think it was / is no. 73.