The I suppose we should have a Euros thread thread

Abernethy Saint

The gradual decline of proper hooligan culture has led to kids that are little more than jumped up little yobs (like some former posters here) to consider themselves proper hooligans in the absence of the real deal to compare themselves against. So they go to France act the big men, throw chairs at police, think they're hard. Then Russian proper hooligans turn up and literally murder them. 

What's the difference? Didn't "proper hooligan culture" also essentially involve going abroad, chucking patio furniture around and acting like a tit?

What's the difference? Didn't "proper hooligan culture" also essentially involve going abroad, chucking patio furniture around and acting like a tit?

I hope you didn't construe my comment as in any way longing for the old days or considering them in any way admirable. 

I dont even just mean the UK last was 'proper', but the difference is pretty clear if you look at any footage of the Russians last night. Maybe I'm confusing hooligans and ultras in a pedant's eyes, but the point is still valid, plenty of English youths will be waking up in marseille this morning with a revised notion of how hard they are

I can't really be arsed with the PC arguments, but what bothers me is fans of any nation going to a country reeling from heinous terror attacks on their streets and instigating what, for bystanders, families, kids, locals, must feel like terror attacks. For no reason whatsoever. It's pathetic and inhumane. 

There are 24 nations at the final, all of whom have fans who will be drinking and singing and having a good time. Only a small number of country's fans see the need to act like Neanderthals though. 

Easy to say England were provoked by the Russians, but I doubt we'll see the Russian fans provoking other groups like that. There's a good reason why English fans are always involved, because there are a good number of them who go there because they WANT to be involved. 

Edited by montrosesaintee

I hope you didn't construe my comment as in any way longing for the old days or considering them in any way admirable. 

I dont even just mean the UK last was 'proper', but the difference is pretty clear if you look at any footage of the Russians last night. Maybe I'm confusing hooligans and ultras in a pedant's eyes, but the point is still valid, plenty of English youths will be waking up in marseille this morning with a revised notion of how hard they are

No, not at all - I just genuinely don't see what the difference is between the hooligans of old and this lot doing it today. Unless there's some important nuance I'm completely missing, it all boils down to the same thing: a bunch of dickheads out looking for trouble and spoiling football for everyone else. These are the morons we need to be looking towards every time we complain about being treated as criminals just because we're football fans.

Really sad that this has started happening again, as a summer football tournament is a wonderful thing when you don't have this stuff. I've been to a couple of these things in the past and I've never seen any trouble, but can't deny that whenever the England fans turn up there's a hostile, aggressive atmosphere that seems to just follow them around (very comparable to Rangers fans, come to think of it).

UEFA needs to start chucking countries out of tournaments when stuff like this happens. Starting with England and Russia. (And then moving on to Hibs.)

I can't really be arsed with the PC arguments, but what bothers me is fans of any nation going to a country reeling from heinous terror attacks on their streets and instigating what, for bystanders, families, kids, locals, must feel like terror attacks. For no reason whatsoever. It's pathetic and inhumane.

Would be very interesting to see the venn diagram showing how many of these guys going to France and causing trouble are the same ones who back the EDL, Britain First etc, and like to claim that it's the foreigners coming over here who are dangerous.

My opinion the post you first replied to is that the England fans aren't going out there for actual genuine trouble. Just to participate in scummy deplorable behaviour in the guise of being patriotic football hooligans. 

The fact they've been largely allowed to do so unopposed without needing to properly fight for the 'right' to do so has led to them getting confused as to what it all means, and they dint see any problem in taking over an Irish pub with all their flags and singing racist songs all day and chucking a few bottles at police. I do fully believe all the video we have seen of them doing exactly that is shameful and each person pictured is a scumbag.

Russian fans with balaclavas mouthguards and knuckle dusters is another level entirely though, one that 20y/o English 'hooligans' maybe forgot existed. 

Well what ive seen the media is still saying British fans fighting etc, what crap is this so if England won the tournament the media would be saying Britain has won it..fingers crossed they dont win a game

At least the BBC have finally, FINALLY stopped that business where England fans are "English" until they punch a policeman, when they mysteriously became "British". Apparently they tried it once yesterday, and the Welsh and Norn Irsh went mental.

From what I saw on TV it looks like the Russkis started most of it.

No doubt. England are never angels in these situations, but looks like they got a pasting.

Which.......................................gives rise to the English FA calling for the WC in Russia to be moved! "safety concerns"

So all being well the English press will have got the Rio Olympics, Qatar WC and Russia WC all moved to ..... Engerrrrlund!

The only thing I'm surprised at is that they couldn't wait until they got pumped out on penalties before they kicked off. Not surprised the Russians went in and gave them a doing though. Bunch of wee pretenders thinking they're tough.

It'll be so much fun when they come up here for the world cup qualifier....

Sorry, forgot it was mandatory to like mindless violence on this forum

Enough bedwetting..... I love seeing the England fans get a doing. They've run rampage throughout  many a Euro city. it's about time. 

I think the next games are in Lens and Lille, so Marseille ought to be a bit quieter soon.

Lille is just over the water. Might be a few extra ENglish bods over for that one...

Planning a fight? Little more embarassing than when someone on the internet is doing so.Admittedly not the only interpretation of your post though.

The internet is not a parallel universe, many a fight has been arranged via this medium..... not just "hoolies" http://www.thelocal.se/20121218/45142

England and Russia threatened with disqualification by Uefa if there's more trouble. 

Meanwhile, Turkey are shite, arnt they?

Even though his final ball wasn't always spot on I thoroughly enjoyed the cameo by that Emre Mor. £16 million transfer after 12 senior games. Looks like money well spent for Dortmund so far.