Jason Scotland

Saint Paul

Do you even know what you are talking about?

Main income is training pitch? at

I would say he is pretty much right about the main income being the training pitch and the corporate side.

It sure as hell is not the football side, if it was not for the football team getting in the way we would have a pretty good business :wink:

I also agree about over caution

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For all I slag him I do agree. The same is true with many in the team. To many high balls and when the ball is played to feet it is to often than the receiving player has his back to goal and has no out. Our passing does not flow forward. Its all to stilted

And why do we play long balls?! Nae midfield!

Do you even know what you are talking about?

Main income is training pitch? at seventy pounds an hour, are you having a laugh?

As far as I know GS Brown don't even sell houses in Edinburgh or Glasgow!

Try getting a word in edge ways with your wife and you might not need to sound off on here with unsubstantiated rubbish.

I thionk he means people from Edin & Glas moving to Perth then commuting back to their workplace, thus meaning they are not Perth people therefore unlikely to go to Saints games.

I think personally that Jason needs two quality forwards in front of him who do intelligent running for him (an out ball).

The problem is that when he gets the ball the opposition know he is the player to block because of his skills and ability to score and open the opposition up.

The Gretna manager (Rowan Alexander) said "if you get tight to Scotland and stop James in the air Saints have nothing else" and that's more the point than complaining about Jason. We need firstly other midfielders to open up the opposition's defence and supply the forwards (one a priority wide player) in addition to secondly getting another quality poaching striker in the absence of Peaso and Milne. Brighton of Clyde would do :) and OC/Jackson/Dobbie (2 of) back to the bench and Doris out on loan.

The 1st division has very well coached defences and the only way to beat that is to have two strikers and other players pushing forward at opposing defences. Milne and Scotland were the front two in the 5-1 defeats of Raith and Hamilton yet other players were pushing forward too to add to the attack with goals from Mensing, Stanic (a beauty), Stevenson and Sheerin (2). Accepting the loss of Milne there must be a confidence thing or change of tactics since the same players are there. The other players should help Jason or at least read his game. I think the Gretna manager summed up this change from earlier in the season where we were a real threat from other areas when he said "if you get tight to Scotland and stop James in the air Saints have nothing else". That doesn't sound like Jason's fault to me and it doesn't sound like the team from earlier in the season. How many of the team get into or near the opposition box in support? That's the problem. We also need a wide player too since there is no width to our game or the outlet of an out ball wide to start attacks from defence.

I think Jason is the most naturally gifted player we have. I'm always a bit wary when I hear British fans or media say a player is lazy. It seems what they want are people running around like blue arsed flies as long as they look as if they're busy. I heard Kenny Dalgleish called that and that he never played well for Scotland. The same tag has been given to Brazi.l :lol: Personally I love watching these lazy samba slovenly good for nothing Brazilians rip the f'ck out of their opponents. :lol::D

Could it be that he will now try to stay fit for the world cup to put himself in the window so to speak, and he wont go in too hard in case of sustaining a injury which might jeopardise his selection in the T & T squad?

I really can't see that being the case. Although he'll obviously want to steer clear of injury, it's in Scotland's interest to play well and stay at the peak of his form and sharpness so that he's ensured of his place at the World Cup in the 1st place, and also so that he plays well there if he gets his chance.

Is it confirmed we bid 50,000 pounds for John Rankin? I thought it was just 40,000 pounds, the same as St Mirren except it was all up front and not in add-ons etc...

Last season, there's no doubt we didn't financially back the manager and it had dire consequences. This season we are paying players more again and we've seen an improvement. If the right player is available, I'm sure Geoff will do all he can to help Owen get him. It doesn't matter how much money we have though, we aren't an attractive proposition for players at the moment.

Sorry moved my post to the Geoff Brown thread becasue I thought it fitted better there. Yeah, I read that we had a 50,000 bud rejected for Rankin, although I can't for the life of me remember where!

Apparently they want 100,000 for him, and think they'll get it from someone in the SPL or championship. Rankin also doesn't want to go to another first division club.

Is it confirmed we bid 50,000 pounds for John Rankin? I thought it was just 40,000 pounds, the same as St Mirren except it was all up front and not in add-ons etc...

Last season, there's no doubt we didn't financially back the manager and it had dire consequences. This season we are paying players more again and we've seen an improvement. If the right player is available, I'm sure Geoff will do all he can to help Owen get him. It doesn't matter how much money we have though, we aren't an attractive proposition for players at the moment.

I think you must be watching a different game from me Radford.

I think you must be watching a different game from me Radford.

More than likely - everyone tends to watch a different game from you Cagey :lol::wink:

Although I will disagree with Radford about us not financially backing the manager last year. As was stated on the Geoff Brown thread (I think), we were the only club outside the Old Firm and Gretna to spend money last year (35k on Michael Moore) and had the biggest squad and, arguable, the biggest wage budget in the division (Falkirk may have had a bigger budget) yet finished one place above the relegation zone.

Rankin is grossly overvalued by Ross County and if anyone pays more than 75k for a player in this league then they have been done IMO.

Five teams were paying their players more than us last season, that came from Connolly himself. Sure we gave him 35,000 pounds to spend but then we wouldn't let him offer more than x pounds per week to players. We lost out on guys like Kirk Broadfoot and Darryl Duffy because we didn't come up with the readies. Connolly was hung out to dry by the board due to the financial restrictions placed on him, IMO anyway.

I would not disagree with that.

Even now certainly Hamilton (who are the highest payers) and Mirren are offering a better basic than us.....Apart from those few players who are er getting theirs topped up with a free 'bus' pass :wink:

I'm not going put it on this forum but there's been a few mentions of Mr MacDonald's dealings on P&B. That's just where I've gathered most of the stuff from tbh.

I doubt St Mirren are paying more than us unfortunately but then I don't imagine Maxwell will be much worse off (i.e. he won't be) than he was here.

I'd suggest that Hamilton, Ross County and Dundee pay their players more than we do.

Ross County, that was the other one!!

I remember having a rant about it at the start of the season along the lines of pay the 4th highest wages, where do you end up?!......not an exact science I grant you

Dundee are in a similar position to us when we came down I recon, their wage bill will be high with prem contracts, but new players are on a very low basic. I think I heard no new players are getting more than the old

Five teams were paying their players more than us last season, that came from Connolly himself. Sure we gave him 35,000 pounds to spend but then we wouldn't let him offer more than x pounds per week to players. We lost out on guys like Kirk Broadfoot and Darryl Duffy because we didn't come up with the readies. Connolly was hung out to dry by the board due to the financial restrictions placed on him, IMO anyway.

Totally agree - it's fine giving a manager money to buy players with, but if he can't then match the wages on offer elsewhere then the players themselves won't sign. IMHO, in the current climate you can get by without ever having to actually buy players, because there are more of them than ever moving around under freedom of contract - but you can't hope to get the better ones if the offer on the table isn't up to standard.

I think it's obvious that this was the reason JC missed out on most of his first choice targets. I can remember when JC first arrived, he was having names thrown at him at a sponsor's night and he was saying this player and that player wasn't good enough to be at Saints - so he clearly had ambitions, initially, of bringing in a much higher standard of player than he actually did. In the end, many of the guys he brought in were pretty poor, but perhaps they just turned out to be the best he could afford (particularly as he barely had a squad at all when he first arrived, and ended up having to rush a lot of his signings in order to give us a team at all).

Totally agree - it's fine giving a manager money to buy players with, but if he can't then match the wages on offer elsewhere then the players themselves won't sign. IMHO, in the current climate you can get by without ever having to actually buy players, because there are more of them than ever moving around under freedom of contract - but you can't hope to get the better ones if the offer on the table isn't up to standard.

I think it's obvious that this was the reason JC missed out on most of his first choice targets. I can remember when JC first arrived, he was having names thrown at him at a sponsor's night and he was saying this player and that player wasn't good enough to be at Saints - so he clearly had ambitions, initially, of bringing in a much higher standard of player than he actually did. In the end, many of the guys he brought in were pretty poor, but perhaps they just turned out to be the best he could afford (particularly as he barely had a squad at all when he first arrived, and ended up having to rush a lot of his signings in order to give us a team at all).

Good post Exactly what happened IMO