January Transfer Window

pezza70

21 hours ago, tucker said:

Jephcott must be on his way doesn't even make the bench today 

What about Olufanwa, can't get into team ahead of 17 year old and Brown although he has never had a chance really.

Turner Cooke who has made few appearances and not grabbed his chance.

Not sure if there is a place for DJ if Clark gets back"glad we didn't have to rush him back yesterday " and Le vein gets his top striker.

have I missed anyone ?

Robinson is the only one of the Loanees I would be unhappy to see go.

4 minutes ago, Cagey said:

What about Olufanwa, can't get into team ahead of 17 year old and Brown although he has never had a chance really.

Turner Cooke who has made few appearances and not grabbed his chance.

Not sure if there is a place for DJ if Clark gets back"glad we didn't have to rush him back yesterday " and Le vein gets his top striker.

have I missed anyone ?

Robinson is the only one of the Loanees I would be unhappy to see go.

I feel a bit bad to say I'd completely forgotten about Olufunwa. He wasn't even on the bench yesterday but he's on a two-year contract and is still young so perhaps still has time to break through. If he's not in Levein's plans for this season then perhaps we should be trying to get him out on loan in January to see if he can build a bit more experience.

I reckon Turner-Cooke's an obvious candidate to have his loan deal cancelled to free up a bit of budget. Possibly Costelloe too. DJ's doing a decent job but agree he might drop down the pecking order once Clark is fit again and we potentially sign a new striker.

Really hope there's a plan to offer Robinson a pre-contract.

Jephcott's on a two-year deal so won't be easy to offload but I'd imagine there will be some English lower league sides who would take him, even if just on loan.

Operation Get Rid of Ali Crawford needs to step up a gear too.

Unless Jephcott was injured yesterday, it's very telling that he wasn't even on the subs bench. Olufunwa in the same boat.

They are both contracted until the summer of 2025, so it's unlikely that anybody is going to take them on, unless we cancel their contracts, and I can't imagine we'll do that because of the cost.

Therefore, get them out on loan to the Championship or league one and get them used to Scottish football. I'm sure a few clubs would be interested.

It could also give them a bit of confidence, Jephcott scoring again for example, which could mean they arrive back in the summer ready to make a claim for the first team here.

If anybody at all is willing to chuck a few quid towards Crawford's wages, we should let them have him. He obviously has no kind of role to play here.

Turner-Cooke hasn't worked out and Costelloe seems to have fallen down the pecking order. A return to their clubs in January the best move for all concerned.

Extension talks for Phillips, Wright, Gordon and Carey.

A new striker (or two) and an attacking midfielder, who can also play at RWB and we're getting the passports out again.

3 hours ago, Gekko said:

If anybody at all is willing to chuck a few quid towards Crawford's wages, we should let them have him.

The issue is nobody is going to offer him anything close to what hes earning with us. Theres every chance he doesnt get an offer thats better than half of what he earns here.

Hes not leaving the last 5/6 months of his contract for nothing, so we'd have to spend to get him gone.

On 12/17/2023 at 5:27 PM, Willie Peat said:

Brechin have a young lad called Grady McGrath scoring for fun (fourth hat trick of the season yesterday). Wonder if he might be in the thoughts of Craig Levein and Andy Kirk?

Interesting that he's been at both Dundee clubs when he was younger but neither of them held onto him for whatever reason. You'd think that if Levein and Kirk saw any chance he might be good enough, they'd be the ones most likely to go and get him.

Levein said a couple of weeks ago that he wanted to sign one striker and one "project". Wonder if a youngster he'd spotted playing for or against Brechin could be the project.

With the big improvements we have made in the last six weeks or so, is it just me or does this next window become massive for our club both in the short term but in the long term, trying to get wages of the books.

I remember on the old temple of saints website there was the great hunt for a striker page, but to find one with our wage structure is going to be a big task.

Hopefully the gaffer has a great network that he would of built up over the years that he will be on the phone non stop calling in any old favours he maybe owed.

2 hours ago, blueheaven said:

Interesting that he's been at both Dundee clubs when he was younger but neither of them held onto him for whatever reason. You'd think that if Levein and Kirk saw any chance he might be good enough, they'd be the ones most likely to go and get him.

Levein said a couple of weeks ago that he wanted to sign one striker and one "project". Wonder if a youngster he'd spotted playing for or against Brechin could be the project.

Would make sense, as I believe Brechin have just signed a new striker, Ryan Hastie, from Scone Thistle.  So they could already be planning for this lad's departure. 

56 minutes ago, tucker said:

Good news,  is it love of the club  lack of ambition or lack of offers.

Anyway good luck for the rest of season ,game wise and injury wise and get yourself a proper contract.

On 12/17/2023 at 5:27 PM, Willie Peat said:

Brechin have a young lad called Grady McGrath scoring for fun (fourth hat trick of the season yesterday). Wonder if he might be in the thoughts of Craig Levein and Andy Kirk?

Mentioned Grady when we first heard about the Levein/Kirk appointment.  He's the best forward in the highland league by a country mile.  It's very hard to judge striker's potential though - he's brilliant in a mediocre team on shite pitches, he might be brilliant in a better team on better pitches, or he might not.  What he does seem to have is that extra time on the ball that seems natural to good players, first touch is superb, and he is an instinctive finisher.  Provides plenty of assists too.  Think he scored something like 70 goals in a season in the juniors in Dundee before joining Brechin.  38 goals last season, 4 hat-tricks already this season. 

Personally I think if he stepped up a level or two he'd still excel, but highland league to SPFL is a big step.

Edited by ex-montrosesaintee

2 hours ago, Lt. Col Kojak Slaphead II said:

Would make sense, as I believe Brechin have just signed a new striker, Ryan Hastie, from Scone Thistle.  So they could already be planning for this lad's departure. 

Yeah Sean Hastie from Scone Thistle, where he was prolific.

Has scored for them as a trialist and then scored on his full debut at the weekend too. 

3 hours ago, ex-montrosesaintee said:

Think he scored something like 70 goals in a season in the juniors in Dundee before joining Brechin.  38 goals last season, 4 hat-tricks already this season. 

This reminds me of a young Paul Sturrock when he was scoring dozens of goals for Bankfoot Juniors back in the 1970's.  The Saints manager at that time (I think Jackie Stewart) gave him a trial but decided against signing him and he then went to Dundee United. We all know what followed!

2 hours ago, Willie Peat said:

This reminds me of a young Paul Sturrock when he was scoring dozens of goals for Bankfoot Juniors back in the 1970's.  The Saints manager at that time (I think Jackie Stewart) gave him a trial but decided against signing him and he then went to Dundee United. We all know what followed!

Think it was Willie Ormond,Luggy turned up with long hair,his boots were muddy due to superstition,and we never liked him because of that 😪

6 hours ago, ex-montrosesaintee said:

Mentioned Grady when we first heard about the Levein/Kirk appointment.  He's the best forward in the highland league by a country mile.  It's very hard to judge striker's potential though - he's brilliant in a mediocre team on shite pitches, he might be brilliant in a better team on better pitches, or he might not.  What he does seem to have is that extra time on the ball that seems natural to good players, first touch is superb, and he is an instinctive finisher.  Provides plenty of assists too.  Think he scored something like 70 goals in a season in the juniors in Dundee before joining Brechin.  38 goals last season, 4 hat-tricks already this season. 

Personally I think if he stepped up a level or two he'd still excel, but highland league to SPFL is a big step.

Why not eh!Can't be any worse than most of our previous attempts at signing a striker than can score.Its probably the only way we are ever going to secure a decent striker as we cant afford to buy one