January Transfer Window

pezza70

Levein said in interviews with the press that he is hoping to get a striker plus maybe a project ? in January. He said some would have to go out first though.

Speaking about Sunday he doesn't think Clark or Considine will be ready. No mention of injuries to Brown or Carey .

I would be offering Kane at least an 18 months extension. Kerr, McCann and Rooney all got the headlines during the double season, but he was every bit as important that season. Not a prolific goal scorer, but great at holding up the ball and getting the team up the pitch, particularly in games away from home.

Booth, Crawford, Turner-Cooke and Ballantyne are the ones I think we are likely to let go. Ballantyne looked good in spells for us at the end of last season, but seemed to drift out of games and I don't think he has enough to play at the top level. Giving that Sprangler, Phillips and Smith are all ahead of him, it would be in his best interests to move on. He is nearly 24 now and needs to be playing regularly. He will do a good job for a team in the championship.

Levein is talking about a striker being the priority, so I think that means that Jephcotts future at the club is potentially at risk. I had high hopes for him, but he has shown nothing so far to suggest that he will offer the club anything moving forward.

During Leveins time at Dundee United he done very well with his recruitment bringing in the likes of Swanson, Conway, Bauben and Gomis from lower league clubs and developing them into players that went on to win the Scottish Cup for them in 2010. In comparison, his recruitment at Hearts was dreadful.

It will be interesting to see what he does for us..

Striker is the priority apparently. The budget will be tight and we need to make some cuts. Jephcott might be a decent player, but he's a poacher and the way we play needs Chris Kane and a Nicky Clark - one to win fouls, hold the ball, and the other to score goals. Both have to work incredibly hard, and when we're without Clark, May just doesn't cut it.

6 hours ago, Linky said:

Striker is the priority apparently. The budget will be tight and we need to make some cuts. Jephcott might be a decent player, but he's a poacher and the way we play needs Chris Kane and a Nicky Clark - one to win fouls, hold the ball, and the other to score goals. Both have to work incredibly hard, and when we're without Clark, May just doesn't cut it.

Player of the season alot of fans thought.May will come good yet again some fan's I'm afraid don't realize what good work both Kane and May do off the ball as well as  assisting on getting the team up the park and helping relieve pressure .This is St Johnstone your never going to get a twenty goal a season striker on saints wages.our options up front are far better than most in the league.

Can we not write May off every 12 months?

He hit double figures last season while folk were saying he was finished.

Its clear he needs to play in a front two, and his confidence seems harmed every time he plays alone and struggles, its mad that managers still do it.

We need different types of strikers too, theres zero point having 3/4 identical ones, especially when you cant rely on some of them to score regularly.

Id be keeping Kane, but at the same time hes part of a strikeforce thats struggled to score for about 3/4 years now, we cant be afraid to move on to try and improve if needed. Jephcott looking like a bust probably heightens that fear though.

1 hour ago, RandomGuy said:

Can we not write May off every 12 months?

He hit double figures last season while folk were saying he was finished.

Its clear he needs to play in a front two, and his confidence seems harmed every time he plays alone and struggles, its mad that managers still do it.

100% agree with this. We've all seen how effective May is when he's played with the right partner in a system that actually allows him to get close to the goal. I find it just bizarre that people still don't seem to recognise this.

That said, I'm a bit unconvinced on May and Kane together as a duo. Feels to me like they both play better with Clark next to them.

On 12/1/2023 at 8:41 AM, blueheaven said:

That said, I'm a bit unconvinced on May and Kane together as a duo. Feels to me like they both play better with Clark next to them.

That's my feelings of them, both like for like players, although I think Kane edges it. Either one aren't out and out strikers but do a fair bit of donkey work around midfield areas but BEHIND a main goal scorer. Playing as a duo leaves a huge gap in the strikers position 

On 12/2/2023 at 9:21 AM, chips said:

That's my feelings of them, both like for like players, although I think Kane edges it. Either one aren't out and out strikers but do a fair bit of donkey work around midfield areas but BEHIND a main goal scorer. Playing as a duo leaves a huge gap in the strikers position 

Perhaps telling that Levein decided to play an on-loan winger out of position up front on his own yesterday, rather than start any of Kane, May or Jephcott.

If Kane's going to win himself a new contract, he doesn't have long to do it.

17 minutes ago, blueheaven said:

Perhaps telling that Levein decided to play an on-loan winger out of position up front on his own yesterday, rather than start any of Kane, May or Jephcott.

There was a "story" going around before Macca got the bullet that Kane had signed a Pre contract and that was why he was he was on the bench! Not heard much since then about it but maybe a sign yesterday he was on the bench again!

I'd sacrifice a new deal for Kane if his wages was put with any spare cash for a January Striker signing! Who though would be the question?.

1 hour ago, blueheaven said:

I think DJ was played for his pace but the one time early in the game he was on a foot race he didn't win it.

He did well otherwise so I would give him another chance as Kane and May are not cutting it.

In the Hearts game Kane lost possession, most forwards in that situation would track back and try to win back possession "the old Kane would have" but he just stood there and the went on to get the winning goal.

Yesterday he didn't look up for it so either he has signed a pre contract or he has been told his contract isn't being extended.

10 hours ago, Havana Saint said:

The days of Stevie May scoring goals or a goal are firmly in the past and a historical reference. A very good player in 2013 and 2014, but not what we need in a relegation dogfight in 2024.

The nostalgia must cease.

Nostalgia for last season when he scored 10 goals?

1 hour ago, Linky said:

Btw - I think May still brings something to the team, and is definitely a squad player. But a Clark & Kane partnership works well, a Clark & May partnership is fine, but a May & Kane partnership doesn't work. I don't think a manager has put in  much thought as to why this is for a while now.

Agree totally 

Clark, May & Kane are all fine options when fit. Jephcott is more of a worry. He's a poacher, and that just doesn't fit the way we play. I can see why MacLean brought him in, but I don't think Levein sees a place for him. I'm not sure what sort of signings Levein will be looking for. If we're going down the tried and tested route in appointing him as manager, will we do the same now with players rather than younger options from England (which maybe have 50% fail rate)?

Biggest issue as per usual is  we let very good players either leave for nothing or well below value.

Dan Phillips is the next prime example.not a chance he's resigning.another outstanding player going for nothing.

It'll be the usual we're in discussions but that ship has sailed.