Partick Thistle - Discuss

soulfulsaint

As much as I hate to say anything positive about either Iain McCall or Partick Thistle (a definite match made in Hell there), it can't be denied that he has a very good record when it comes to working with clubs that are strapped for cash. He also did a good job at QoS last season, and it has to be said that he really knows what this division is all about. I'd see Partick under McCall as far more dangerous challengers to Saints than the likes of Scumdee.

I agree with blueheaven to a point there, he ios very good at saving clubs from the drop but not much else. I do not see the Jags being a major threat next season nor do I see Ian McCall doing any more than he did this season at McD apart from critisising us for playing football against his team (should have heard him going on....:roll:)

What's your thoughts then SFS? I'd ask what wee Tam's thoughts were as well but he probably hasn't scripted them yet :lol:

The Jags will not be contenders in Div 1 next season. They were relying on selling some land next to the stadium but this has fallen through so they are in desperate financial trouble. They have office space to let within Firhill and they are not offering leases longer than 1 year so they are obviously thinking about selling up. Their current squad is poor and they will have no money for improvements so a battle against relegation looms.

Talking on the BBC a few weeks ago, the Thistle chairman refused to rule out a move to East Kilbride at some point in the future.

As for McCall being a relegation survivor, he took a Falkirk team which should have been relegated in 2002 and won the league at a canter. The year before, he took an Airdrie team which had been torn apart by administrators and the stand-off with Steve Archibald, and very nearly got them to the SPL.

If he'd had his January window signings at QoS for the full season, they'd probably have challenged for the top four. I'm not the guy's biggest fan but he does have previous in this division, and Partick need him to succeed before they go down the pan.

If he'd had his January window signings at QoS for the full season, they'd probably have challenged for the top four.

Chuck, you are usually on the money but who put together the Queens squad that was sitting at the bottom of the table? McCall's side that lost 5-0 at McD in October was possibly the worst First Division side I've seen.

Chuck, you are usually on the money but who put together the Queens squad that was sitting at the bottom of the table? McCall's side that lost 5-0 at McD in October was possibly the worst First Division side I've seen.

I can't believe the man is taking credit from his time at Queens.

I wonder how many people make the same mistake as I did and believe he had a small playing budget and part-time status to work with? I wonder how many would change their minds once they found out that was far from the case?

I don't rate him at all.

I'd give him the credit for putting it right in the second half of the season though. Their form from January to March was incredible, given how bad they'd been before. I'd agree they absolutely sucked up to that point.

It does seem to show that McCall does best when he's working with no money. QoS allegedly splashed out big-time to bring in his favoured targets in the summer, whereas his January signings were back to the old wheeling and dealing.

I'd give him the credit for putting it right in the second half of the season though. Their form from January to March was incredible, given how bad they'd been before. I'd agree they absolutely sucked up to that point.

It does seem to show that McCall does best when he's working with no money. QoS allegedly splashed out big-time to bring in his favoured targets in the summer, whereas his January signings were back to the old wheeling and dealing.

He got very lucky though, in that Kilmarnock wanted to sign Willie Gibson and he managed to not only keep Gibson on "emergency loan" until March, but also got Adams, Barrowman and Murray. Add in Gretna moving on half their squad - who they'd fixed up down in the area - and fortune was on his side.

What is it they say though, better a lucky manager than a good one!

Guest Nairn Saint
He got very lucky though, in that Kilmarnock wanted to sign Willie Gibson and he managed to not only keep Gibson on "emergency loan" until March, but also got Adams, Barrowman and Murray. Add in Gretna moving on half their squad - who they'd fixed up down in the area - and fortune was on his side.

What is it they say though, better a lucky manager than a good one!

Once a wee jobby, always a wee jobby.

Walking along Byres Road in Glasgow this morning, I bumped into new Thistle boss Ian McCall, who claims The Jags will be too good for Saints next season?

Discuss.

ha ha ha he been sniffing shoes that he has just soiled the bender.you should have stuck the nut in him when you seen him mr soulfulsaint.end of discusssion

the mans an arse. I used to play 5 a side with him at the western baths in glasgow and i snapped him a good one and he went in a big huff screaming and shouting at me! did he not used to be some sort of hardman? CARDBOARD CNT!! also, every single week he wore his old dundee utd shorts with IMC printed on them and this was long after he'd been booted out of tannadice. Soulful hes at it giving it the big one saying theyll win, hope you remind him if this conversation around Xmas time when theyre fighting for their lives.

Guest Nairn Saint

Best story about Wee Jobby concerns a charity dinner during his time at Dundee United.

A director at the club told me that when the raffle tickets were brought round the table big shot McCall said "aye, gies a book" not realising that the individual tickets were £50 each. Not wanting to back down, he choked as he had to fork out a small fortune to save face.

Partick Thistle may pose us a chalenge next year however there players will have to show some bottle and guts and determination to compete with the likes of James and Hardie, those wimps don't even have the bottle to play when they have a bit of flu.

As for Iain Mccall he was full time at Queen of the South and he still couldn't get them going untull the New year