Have we the worst support in Scotland?

t

OK we're not playing well at the moment but surely that is when we should get behind the team.

I thought the support today was dreadful - not in numbers but in the barracking of the team.

The gloom merchants around me were cussing and booing practically from the kick-off.

After loudly booing as the half-time whistle blew, they spent the interval trying to ensure everyone around them would boo as they came out for the second half.

What pleasure do these (middle-aged) morons get slating and swearing at every Saints player as soon as he gets the ball?

I'll need to move seats before I do something I might regret!

i completely agree we should be getting behind our players during this bad patch although it is hard to back players when they aren't even looking as if they want to play for the club. the gretna fans were a bunch of eejits half of them were english and shouting at me and giving abuse to coyle and the rest of the players at least i think so i couldnt understand there accents.

OK we're not playing well at the moment but surely that is when we should get behind the team.

I thought the support today was dreadful - not in numbers but in the barracking of the team.

The gloom merchants around me were cussing and booing practically from the kick-off.

After loudly booing as the half-time whistle blew, they spent the interval trying to ensure everyone around them would boo as they came out for the second half.

What pleasure do these (middle-aged) morons get slating and swearing at every Saints player as soon as he gets the ball?

I agree with getting behind the team during the 90mins when they can make a diffrance but if they play like a bunsh of tits for 90mins it's there own falt there paid to do a job and they havent been doing it

bring back the guy with the bag pipes!!!

He was just like most of the players we have at the moment - he wasn't a Saints fan, he just jamp on the band wagon when we were doing well. As soon as we started to go down hill, he hid away and has disappeared right up his own chanter (only wish some of the players would do the same).

cant agree with you more.cant stand the moaners.we do not tolerate that behaviour in the section i sit :?

I`m not sure what you expect the support to do when they are served up the crap we have seen on the park the past few weeks. I agree that booing does not help but how else are the supporters to show their disgust at a team of overpaid,unskilled non triers.

Interestingly enough when the boos started around the hour mark, after another opportunity for Gretna, Coyle immediatley got stripped.

My worry when he comes on is that he doesn't do much of a warm up, and on a cold day, there's a good chance he'll do himself an injury.

As for getting behind the team, if you pay your money you have as much right as anyone else to voice an opinion. Everybody there wants to see the team do well, I sit at the Ormond end of the East Stand, and everyone was willing them to get a goal in the 2nd half.

By the way, Aberdeen and Arabs have worst fans for getting on their teams backs!!

I think this is spot on. Yesterday the fans were so edgy and so on the players backs taht it was incredible. 2 instances stick out:

1. The clown in the middle of the East stand who shouted when Cuthbert was about to kick the ball "keep it on the deck" Hello!!! :?

2. Anderson put in a cracking ball which got knocked on for Jackson who shot over. The moans started befor the laddie had even passed the ball.

I said exactly this after the St Mirren cup game. Confidence is low and the boos cause panic. I dont think its a coincidence that oneof the games we managed to keep playing and fighting for the win was the Partick game when the support was immense.

Also although we were under the cosh at the midden, the support kept with the team and the team kept working.

I said exactly this after the St Mirren cup game. Confidence is low and the boos cause panic. I dont think its a coincidence that oneof the games we managed to keep playing and fighting for the win was the Partick game when the support was immense.

Also although we were under the cosh at the midden, the support kept with the team and the team kept working.

One things about these games, THEY WERE AWAY FROM HOME where the support is excellent. Most of the moaners are part-timers!

Mainstand

I was that clown who shouted at Cuthbert to keep the ball on the deck as he had the option to do so and the long high ball to the right wing to Stevenson has never produced anything the whole season. When we did keep the ball on the deck we did cause them minor problems. I also shouted frequently for Anderson, Rusti etc to play the ball to feet and not to our Giants of forwards.

Several times Cuthbert punted to Stevenson when Stanic was wide open on the left. This must be a training ground ploy which is sucessful against our defence then but not in an actual game. As for Gretna they had done their homework and defended this Saints set piece.

So who is the clown? The one who spots the obvious or those who do not?

Mainstand

I was that clown who shouted at Cuthbert to keep the ball on the deck as he had the option to do so and the long high ball to the right wing to Stevenson has never produced anything the whole season. When we did keep the ball on the deck we did cause them minor problems. I also shouted frequently for Anderson, Rusti etc to play the ball to feet and not to our Giants of forwards.

Several times Cuthbert punted to Stevenson when Stanic was wide open on the left. This must be a training ground ploy which is sucessful against our defence then but not in an actual game. As for Gretna they had done their homework and defended this Saints set piece.

So who is the clown? The one who spots the obvious or those who do not?

So you are George are you??

If you start playing the ball on the deck from a bye kick then you instatntly invite their forwards onto your defence and put your defence under pressure. So I think that answers your last question as to who I think the clown is.

Yes i heard you shjout many times during the game I also heard others asking you start to give the team a bit of support something I've still to hear you do. I think Davie Hannah was the subject of your abuse last season, his season you seem to be sharing it about a bit.

I don't think we have the worst support in Scotland. I agree the moaning is annoying, but it's the same everywhere these days - I put it down to the amount of top-level football on TV which spoils folk and gives them unrealistic expectations on a Saturday afternoon. I sat in the Hearts end for a European game last season and the moaning some of those guys were doing was incredible - much worse than I've heard at Saints. I couldn't believe how harsh the Hearts fans were being on their own players, especially considering they were playing a big European club who were technically streets ahead.

As an aside, I watched the Saints-Airdrie DVD this afternoon and the atmosphere in that match was incredible - it looked as if the entire stadium was singing and backing the team, instead of the usual tiny collection along one end of the East Stand which we have nowadays. I'd love to go back to that sort of atmosphere, but I don't think football culture works that way any more, and of course the team also have to play their part (and I don't think football these days is played in a way that's exactly condusive to making people feel positive and excited). Sadly, the game in general just isn't what it used to be. :(

Our support is no different from anyone else.

Supporters are entitled to voice their opinion, although I do not agree with booing during the match, everyone is entitled to cheer or boo after the match has finished.

I tend to leave in disgust as soon as the whistle goes after a bad performance rather than listen to the abuse, if I stayed then I might get involved whether joining in or falling out with someone because of it.

Feelings run high after such a performance and maybe I find it better to get to the pub and drown my sorrows ASAP.

Mainstand

I was shouting to both Cuthbert and the team in general to keep the ball on the deck but not from a bye kick, when it was played back or came through. The tactic of punting high balls to a diddy forward line means only one thing, we lose possession and the ball comes back onto the defence straight away. The only times we showed anything was when the ball was played on the deck.

As for Hannah, I seldom saw him last year and I do not think I pick on any player. I may be wrong. I do not scream abuse at the players, I may vent my feelings amongst my friends at the ground. I do applaud ALL good moves or attempts at good play.

I support the team during the match but reserve the right after a gutless performance like yesterdays to give vent to my feelings, like many more.

Mainstand

I was shouting to both Cuthbert and the team in general to keep the ball on the deck but not from a bye kick, when it was played back or came through. The tactic of punting high balls to a diddy forward line means only one thing, we lose possession and the ball comes back onto the defence straight away. The only times we showed anything was when the ball was played on the deck.

As for Hannah, I seldom saw him last year and I do not think I pick on any player. I may be wrong. I do not scream abuse at the players, I may vent my feelings amongst my friends at the ground. I do applaud ALL good moves or attempts at good play.

I support the team during the match but reserve the right after a gutless performance like yesterdays to give vent to my feelings, like many more.

Gc

The shout about keeping the ball on the deck was in respect of a bye kick from someone in the middle of the east stand about row k, and is someone I know. The comment was not your one.

We don't have anything like the worst fans in Scotland. I've seen Dundee fans cheering the opposition to try and get Kernaghan sacked this season, and some of the moaning from away fans at McDiarmid is incredible.

By complete contrast, our moaners appear to have largely accepted where Saints are at the moment, but our away support is absolutely superb. Even at Airdrie last weekend, in the depths of playing really badly, there was plenty encouragement for the team, and plenty abuse for the officials!

I agree. a lot of our fans are very fickle, especially the stick given towards Jason Scotland yesterday.

True, he is a lazy player, but already this season without him we would be struggling a lot more than we are now.

We definetly have to get behind the team more, although some of our players have to give more heart.

Im sure a lot of stick would stop regardless of results if the bulk of the players showed a lot more heart.

:shock: