Tony Docherty

Radford 72

I know it's been mentioned in other threads but thought he deserved his own one. The Courier this morning confirms Saints and United have reached an agreement over their first team coach Tony Docherty moving to Saints to take up the role of assistant manager:

Saints yesterday reached agreement with Dundee United to recruit Tannadice coach Tony Docherty as McInnes’s assistant boss.

There is an interview with DMc on BBC Sport where although he doesn't reveal Docherty's name he talks about the attributes he thinks he'll bring to the club and it all sounds very positive. The United fans rate him highly as well after surviving several previous sackings.

I think this is a good appointment as someone like John Brown would have come in and he's quite a hard character, with someone like Tony Doc, it should allow DMc to distance himself from the players a bit more IMO.

He is not really that experianced and is still quite young.

Tony Docherty - First Team Coach

Tony Docherty

Tony was born in East Kilbride in 1971 and at the age of thirteen he signed as an S-Form. When he left school at the age of sixteen, he signed with Dunfermline. Coincidentally, on the books there at the same time was the then United boss, Ian McCall. Whilst with Dunfermline, Tony also studied at Jordanhill College of Education in Glasgow. He left Dunfermline to play with Cambridge United and later returned to Scotland where he had spells with Stirling Albion, East Stirling and Albion Rovers.

It was while he was with the Coatbridge club that he joined the SFA in the Technical Department as a Development Officer for the Glasgow area. He was employed in that capacity for three years before he moved to Falkirk to take up the job of Community Coach. He then began to coach the youths there, eventually coaching the first team when Alex Totten was the Manager.

He retained the position of Assistant Coach with Falkirk after Ian McCall took over at Brockville a couple of years later and, when Ian moved to take charge of the team at Tannadice, Tony came as part of the management team and was involved in coaching at all levels, with primary responsibility looking after the youth squad.

With the appointment of Gordon Chisholm as Manager, Tony moved up to the position of First Team Coach, a position he held under the management of Craig Brewster and continues to hold under Craig Levein.

From all reports the man is top class and has been brought in by Derek himself which is far better than having a right-hand man forced onto him.

At least I hope he is better than the last United coach we had :wink:

Welcome Tony and here's to the good times. :D

What reports? :confused:

Ok, I just had it in my head that he would be some older guy with bags of experience. Looking at the picture of Tony on the Arab site he looks like another young Tan merchant like Derek. He does have good experience, but I wouldn’t buy a car from him. :)

Maybe the approach of two young hungry coaches will be much better than Derek with some old hack in the background.

He used to frequent my old work place a lot and is a top, top guy and i knew he would end up here some day!!

Looking forward to the times ahead with McInnes and Doc...fresh optimism from me for the rest of the season, even after Sunday my enthusiasm towards all things Saints recently had been flagging...but it's on the up!

Mon the Blues.

He used to frequent my old work place a lot and is a top, top guy and i knew he would end up here some day!!

Do you mean the chippy? A model pro whose body is a temple and will be setting a fine example then?! :wink: :wink:

Seriously though, good luck to the guy. I think it's a good thing that the club seem to have learned from some past mistakes and now seem to be taking it as a necessary cost of any managerial change that a new number one should be allowed to choose his own assistant.

Do you mean the chippy? A model pro whose body is a temple and will be setting a fine example then?! :wink: :wink:

Seriously though, good luck to the guy. I think it's a good thing that the club seem to have learned from some past mistakes and now seem to be taking it as a necessary cost of any managerial change that a new number one should be allowed to choose his own assistant.

To be fair, the whole United youth squad used to come in on their way home from a game in Inverness :lol: