Farcical Own Goals at McD

Jamie_Beatson

Gordon bannerman says in today's match report in the PA that he is struggling to remember a more farcical own goal at McDiarmid than Saturday's effort by Ando. Because I can't be arsed logging into Yahoo email to drop him a line (and because he will probably read this), and in the interests of sparking a discussion, can you remember a more ludicrous own goal?

I distinctly remember one (maybe against Queen of the South) at the scoreboard end of the ground three or four years back. It was played across the face of goal fairly tamely, only for the defender who was standing waiting to swing at it and slice it badly into his own goal. It was pretty special.

Any others?

That was Jim Thomson. My recollection of it is similar to that as well. Richard described it as follows on Temple of Saints:

Nothing came of it though and Saints broke back up the park. Peaso held the ball before releasing Sid on his right. Donnelly took the ball into the box and fired in a good low drive. The QoS goalie saved the shot but failed to hold onto the ball and when it broke free in the 6yd box, Thomson appeared to panic. I'm not sure if the wet pitch helped or not but he totally sclaffed the clearance and somehow the ball spun into the net. Oh how we laughed!!

Biscuits scored a cracker against Raith Rovers in our first season back down under Totten, where he sliced a clearance from the edge of the area into the top corner.

Away from home, who can forget Kevin James' at Palmerston!

Guest Nairn Saint

Farcical was the word....

Muirton Park, young enough to be still wearing short trousers, one of my first ever games, St Johnstone FC wearing RED against Stranraer in a cup game, a certain Billy McManus putting through his own goal, me (believing Saints had just scored what transpired to be the winner) almost wetting myself in a joyful and solo celebration in the main stand!

I still cringe at that memory.....

Biscuits scored a cracker against Raith Rovers in our first season back down under Totten, where he sliced a clearance from the edge of the area into the top corner.

Sturrock surely? Are you slipping in your old age Radford?

There must be a whole DVD's worth of Darren Dods OGs.

My personal favourite isn't so much an OG but an own-assist: Vidar Riseth squaring the ball for a bemused Keiran McAnespie to score at the Ormond Stand end in about 1999.

Sturrock surely? Are you slipping in your old age Radford?

There must be a whole DVD's worth of Darren Dods OGs.

My personal favourite isn't so much an OG but an own-assist: Vidar Riseth squaring the ball for a bemused Keiran McAnespie to score at the Ormond Stand end in about 1999.

Sturrock it was! :oops:

How many own goals did Dodsy actually score? I can think of three straight away, at home to St Mirren and Celtic and away to Motherwell, all in the SPL.

The OG that stands out most clearly (for obvious reasons) is the one I scored in that Football Aid match about six years ago. I managed to sclaff a clearance from the edge of the penalty box and looped it back over my shoulder into the top corner.

Quality stuff. The keeper never had a chance. At least I can claim to have scored on the hallowed turf ;-)

I seem to recall Darren Dods (think it was him?) scoring a ridiculous own goal away to Brechin City in one of the cups a few seasons back. I'm sure he made some sort of tackle attempt and the ball ended up looping over Cuthbert's head from well out.

Think Roddy Grant also scored that night and we were knocked out.

I seem to recall Darren Dods (think it was him?) scoring a ridiculous own goal away to Brechin City in one of the cups a few seasons back. I'm sure he made some sort of tackle attempt and the ball ended up looping over Cuthbert's head from well out.

Think Roddy Grant also scored that night and we were knocked out.

That was the Challenge Cup game when we were beaten 3-2, and Hartley and Co where in the chippy 10 minutes before the game! That was a quality owngoal, slid in for a sweeping tackle and lobbed Main from about 40 yards out. :D

Roddy scored the winner that day and there were a few people giving him a hard time, which upset me as he is my all time hero from his time at Thistle and Saints (brought up at Firhill)

dods diving header against celtic was superb

not at McD but does anybody else remember an O.G. scored at east end park by a certain paulo vanoli? Seem to remember that being very comical. Finished 2-0 to the pars i think. Was fairly recent i.e. when bbc1 showed a game on a sunday. Was also around xmas i think