Can Saintees Be The Early Pace Setters??

Jurassic Jim

No - because there are better teams in the Division.

No - because you are traditional late starters.

Possibly?

Yes - because you have a stronger squad.

Yes - because there are some super individuals this season.

My personal view is no and this is simply because Euan McLean will be between the sticks.

He's not very good

He's not very good

He's not very

He's not very

He's not very good.

DISCUSS, please.

Aww, Jim...! Location "Perth"? I take it you are from somewhere else and just happen to live in Perth? But you're not spilling the beans and telling us which team you support, hence where you're from, since you talk about Saints in the 2nd person "you". Regulars like Dee4Life and JagsYaBas at least give us a clue in their names! Mind you if you ARE actually from Perth and DON'T support Saints, you should go away, hang your head in shame and not come back here again...

Go on tell us, you're either a Dundee fan or an OF glory hunter, aren't you?? My money goes on you being a Coag - why else would you do what all other Dundee FC fans do, and obsess about all things St Johnstone?!

Incorrect on all counts, I hate the Old Firm and Dundee FC, so keep on guessing.

I do live in Perth, but only recently moved there. It's a beautiful place to live and bring up our children, really like it.

Find it fascinating reading about Saints having to set the pace early as this is where they've fallen short in recent seasons, yet have failed to invest in a quality shop stopper to aid the aims of a talented young manager. I think he has been caught short on this one and has shown some naivety as a manager by not getting an experienced pro between the sticks.

This will be the difference between getting a great start and a good start.

His name is Jurassic so he's a Dundee fan who switched to United when they were briefly good in the 80s, then moved to Perth. It will be a slow evolution but Jurassic will be a Saintee in the next millenium.

But he raises a good point, our slow starts have lost us the league in past years. That needs to be eliminated.

Welcome to the site JJ. Treat it with respect and you will be more than welcome.

Correct - supersaint44 is correct

I am not against McLean in the slightest. Some people just aren't very good at what they're employed to do and he fits this category. Maybe working with Main and the other coaches (???) will bring him on, but my point is you guys have come out and said you didn't win the 1st the last couple of years because of your poor start. I'm telling you, if he is in the G's don't expect much of a better start, I've watched him in action many times.

BTW, the first 'chap' who replied to my post chose not to comment on my point. Do people from Perth take exception to people living in Perth who were not born there and do not support St Johnstone?

I've only seen McLean once, against Burnley on Wednesday.

He didn't look very good, stuck to his line and flapped a bit when the ball came near.

Had a good save in the second half.

He does look a good communicator though and seems to be talking to the defence all the time which would reduce the chances of an error between the defence and keeper due to confusion.

Hope his average goalkeeping performance is way above what he showed on Wednesday or Main better get fit soon.

welcome JJ - first off, I would re-word the question to ask if saints (NOT saintees) will be the early pacesetters. I'm not sure where or when the saintee business started but I don't like it!

As for the goalkeeper - you have clearly seen him play more times that most of us, what are his weaknesses/strengths? Is he better/worse than Kev Cuthbert, and who would you suggest that a 1st club could get in his place?

Correct - supersaint44 is correct

BTW, the first 'chap' who replied to my post chose not to comment on my point. Do people from Perth take exception to people living in Perth who were not born there and do not support St Johnstone?

Sorry for not replying earlier Jim - work sure does get in the way of posting on this forum all day...!

Anyway, to address the point in your original post.

Can we be early pace setters? I hope so, however, we are fragile defensively as others have stated. The return of Main sooner rather than later will certainly help, as I think a commanding presence at the back will give us confidence. I feel we have a good amount of flair in the side now, and certainly in pre-season appear to be making use of the midfield better than we did last season.

On your other point, I have no problem at all with people who live in, but are not native to Perth, supporting their hometown team - it's the only thing to do if you call yourself a fan I guess. I suppose there's a clue to that viewpoint in both my name, and current location, and the fact I'm from Perth and will never ever stop supporting Saints, wherever I may be.

However, as I suspect many other forumers on here do, I have a real issue with people from outwith Glasgow jumping on the OF glory hunting bandwagon. That seems to be all too common throughout Scotland, as I'm sure you've seen, just as I have, the busloads of OF fans set out for Glasgow from the likes of Dundee and Perth on a Saturday? So that's why I suggested you might have been an OF fan. Incidentally, being from Dundee, why did you choose United and not the other mob?

Lastly, your assumption by your use of the word chap that I might be male would be correct - and I promise I won't even get offended by the possible negative inference on the word by the fact you put quotes round it! :wink:

Have a nice day!

Find it fascinating reading about Saints having to set the pace early as this is where they've fallen short in recent seasons, yet have failed to invest in a quality shop stopper to aid the aims of a talented young manager. I think he has been caught short on this one and has shown some naivety as a manager by not getting an experienced pro between the sticks.

I haven't seen McLean yet, but remember we do have a good experienced keeper - but unfortunately he's injured at the moment so McLean is probably now finding himself getting a game sooner than would have been expected. It's not ideal, but hopefully the guy will develop well here and become a good signing for us. I just hope people don't forever write him off as shit if he happens to make a few mistakes in his first games.

McInnes is just one in a long line of Saints managers who have struggled to bring in a good new goalkeeper who can live up to Alan Main. Even Alan Main himself, second time around, hasn't been able to live up to his own legend. So I wouldn't say McInnes has been caught short or shown naievity - it's simply that it's a very difficult position to fill, especially when you're trying to attract players to the lower leagues.

welcome JJ - first off, I would re-word the question to ask if saints (NOT saintees) will be the early pacesetters. I'm not sure where or when the saintee business started but I don't like it!

We need to get the club to start a St Johnstone ladies team (Saintees) That should ensure that people go back to using 'Saints' when referring to the male team. Wishful thinking? :wink:

We need a good keeper, I'm not saying Mc'Lean isn't I haven't seen him. But you've just got to look at the likes of Boruc and Robertson who managed to keep their respective teams in many matches last season which enabled them to get the desired results in the end. Two fairly average (not much better than the rest) teams IMHO but with decent keepers.

I have to admit I worry that Saints are in for another slow start to the season. Making a poor start has effectively killed us on several occasions in the past, and going into the start of the season without a left-back or a proven goalkeeper is obviously a concern - it must be for McInnes, even if he hasn't said so in public.

On top of that, Ross County is probably the last place I'd want to go for our first competitive game. It's always a hard trip to make, and I think they'll have quite a good season this time round. If they give us a doing on Saturday, I wonder how many people on here will be reaching for their panic buttons??

if we get beat on saturday it will be because county have put together a decent team and saints have been stuttering with a totally unsettled team. However i do believe we shouldnt be reading too much into preseason results. I still think we will finish 1st or 2nd but im not half as confident as some of you lads on here seem to be.