#16 - 08/11/08 - Ross County (h)

saints1989

As has been said, we are in exactly the same position as two years ago, top of the league after 12 games with 23 points. We when lost three of the next four and were the same distance behind Gretna as Dundee currently are behind us. That run included a trip to Dingwall where we were outstanding the first half and led 2-0 before ending up with only a point.

I posted a thread the other day and will repeat what I said about us being in contention plenty of times at the start of November but we never kick on so I'm not building my hopes up this time either.

County have won five out of their last six and have strikers that have done for us in the past; Winters and Higgins have scored 10 goals against us in the last four years. Add in Craig who has also grabbed a few against us and Daal, for whom the script is written, and the defence need to maintain their good form of late, especially when County have guys like Hart and Brittain in midfield. Their own defensive record has been decent in recent weeks but that's the weakest area of their team IMO and Samuel got a lot of joy against them in Dingwall, whereas Holmes hasn't made as much of an impact. I wonder if that is giving McInnes food for thought.

Swankie has to come back in for me with it being a home match and Morris got more game time under his belt in today's closed doors game. Maybe just a spot on the bench again though? So many options with everyone fit though, there are again going to be good players sitting in the stand.

Fingers crossed there are no silly bookings that would rule anyone out of the Dundee match.

but would be better if they're out for clyde and back in contention for dundee, i can see rutkiewicz wanting booked in the county game as agreed probably with mcinnes.

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah Radford Swankie is used as a home player when we are attacking with width and better suited to playing in that way in my opinion. Jody will not be ready for 90mins this saturday unless we pick up any knocks during midweek training and we have to call him up.

Agree with cynical that i dont think we really need to worry about the fact thye have the likes of Higgins and Winters(because Kev and Caff are more than up to the task of dealing with them) rather a victory will more likely depend on our own performance, not Countys.

but would be better if they're out for clyde and back in contention for dundee, i can see rutkiewicz wanting booked in the county game as agreed probably with mcinnes.

As I've said elsewhere, if anyone collects a booking that takes them through the points barrier in either the County or Clyde games, they will miss the Dundee game.

Another tough game ( aren't they all ) against a side who are playing well and who have beaten us already this season (in the diddy cup). We secured a very good three points at Victoria Park earlier which started our present good run , but we should take nothing for granted. They may take their eye of the ball with the Diddy cup final looming but I doubt it. Hopefully the Saints players and the management will approach this with exactly the same attitude as the Pars game. If they do, I can see Saints winning 3-0 or 3-1. If not we will definitely get turned over.I am confident all will be well though and the three points will be ours.......

Team wise , I would be delighted to see Del send out the same eleven as last Saturday.MMM who picked up a knock will return to training tomorrow and Mooner seems to be fine...

Main

Irvine , Rusty, Caff, Craig

Millar, Mooner, Hardie, Sheerinio

Savo, Holmer

Subs.....A goalie, Morris, Swankie, Sammy, Ando.....

Injured. Mclean still I think......

No place for...Morgan, McKoy, Peaso, Jacko or James

Come on you Saints..............................

--------------------

We're top, but can we Stay there?????

You better believe it...........................

I'd start Samuel on Saturday. He's scored three times against them already this season and their defenders will be dreading facing him. It's harsh on Holmes but he's not had much joy out of their centre backs in either of the matches so far. As great as a settled line up is, McInnes regularly speaks about picking sides to specific matches (and alluded that it had always been in his mind to start Mooner at EEP) so we may as well use our squad when it's available. I'd also start Swankie with it being our home match and the onus being on us to go and win the game.

Main

Irvine - Rutkiewicz - McCaffrey - Craig

Swankie - Millar - Hardie - Sheerin

Milne - Samuel

Subbies: Kelly, Anderson, Moon, Holmes, Jackson (if fit).

I can’t justify changing the front two at the moment because they are doing very well but Peaso, Collin Samuel and Andy Jackson are all waiting in the wings and they will all have a part to play.

That's from the official site today. From what he's said there I would expect the same front two to continue for the County game.

You never know though, maybe he'll spring a surprise.

I'd start Samuel on Saturday. He's scored three times against them already this season and their defenders will be dreading facing him. It's harsh on Holmes but he's not had much joy out of their centre backs in either of the matches so far. As great as a settled line up is, McInnes regularly speaks about picking sides to specific matches (and alluded that it had always been in his mind to start Mooner at EEP) so we may as well use our squad when it's available. I'd also start Swankie with it being our home match and the onus being on us to go and win the game.

Main

Irvine - Rutkiewicz - McCaffrey - Craig

Swankie - Millar - Hardie - Sheerin

Milne - Samuel

Subbies: Kelly, Anderson, Moon, Holmes, Jackson (if fit).

I would change Morris for Jackson or Moon.

That's from the official site today. From what he's said there I would expect the same front two to continue for the County game.

You never know though, maybe he'll spring a surprise.

He's too smart. Our defense is tidy, and our midfield is beginning to look very sharp. The front two speak for themselves.

That said,

Main

Irvine, Rusty, Caff, Ando

Swankie, Moon, Hardie, Craig

Savo, Sammo

Bench: Sherlock, Sheerinho, Kelly, Millar, big Jody.

Seems like a potentially strong side. Near the end of the Dunfermline game just after the goal, we were all over them with a similar set-up.

Obviously Hardie cannot be dropped as our midfield evaporates without him. Craig looked much stronger in mid than at LB against the Pars. Moon is a firecracker, as is Samuel. Much as I wish Sheerin could start, ideally we should be going hammer-and-tongs at County, and Craig's proved himself to be solid at both ends of the pitch.

Drop Sheerin? Moderators is this kind of heresy allowed? It would be banned in China.

As a moderator I can say whatever I like without fear or recriminations. :P

I stand by what I said, I thought Sheerin was playing well on Saturday but if he hadn't been taken off I don't think we would have won the game, it was only when that happened that we really took control. I'd probably drop Moon before Sheerin to allow Craig to move into midfield but I think both are options.

Morgan = Millar.

D'oh! :oops:

Millar has to start. I'm not Hardie's biggest fan, but as much as it pains me he can't be dropped...

I'd go for exactly the same XI as last week... Mooners fit he doesn't deserve to be dropped... Sheerin doesn't deserve it, neither does Millar or Hardie... why change a winning team? Craig was better in midfield, but he's still our best left-back... I think Ando would struggle to play there and would become a weakness as he is right-footed and teams will begin to pick up on that and use it against us.

Main

Irvine Craig Rusty Caff

Millar Sheerin Hardie Mooner

Savo Sherlock

Sammy Jody Ando Swankie Goalie.

It'd be our strongest XI. Not saying Sheerin's poor, but Craig is a great asset to the team, but is not great at LB. In order to get the most out of the left, it Ando -> Craig is the future.

Granted I've missed a few games this season, but I struggle to see how our strongest XI can involve dropping arguably our best player. I agree that Craig is better in midfield than at left-back, but given the lack of other options at left-back, and the surplus of other options in midfield, I reckon he'll need to bide his time in that position for the time being. His chance in midfield will come, of course.

From what I've seen of the current team, my line-up for Saturday would be:

________________Main

Irvine_____Rusty_____Caff______Craig

Millar__Jody (if fit and ready?)__Hardie__Wizard

___________Savo___Holmes

...with Moon for Jody if Jody's not quite ready yet.

Granted I've missed a few games this season, but I struggle to see how our strongest XI can involve dropping arguably our best player. I agree that Craig is better in midfield than at left-back, but given the lack of other options at left-back, and the surplus of other options in midfield, I reckon he'll need to bide his time in that position for the time being. His chance in midfield will come, of course.

From what I've seen of the current team, my line-up for Saturday would be:

________________Main

Irvine_____Rusty_____Caff______Craig

Millar__Jody (if fit and ready?)__Hardie__Wizard

___________Savo___Holmes

...with Moon for Jody if Jody's not quite ready yet.

To be honest, that's probably the lineup Derek will use. And I guess he knows best, who's doing well in training etc. Looking forward to seeing Moon get a full start, though. Hopefully Daal doesn't ram his studs into Mooner's chest. Maybe, if we're lucky, Hardie will throw a sly kick his way.

Granted I've missed a few games this season, but I struggle to see how our strongest XI can involve dropping arguably our best player.

At the risk of starting a Letham fronted backlash, I don't think Sheerin is our best player. I'd like to see some evidence that the team performs significantly worse when he isn't it it. I still think he's a great player, but he's not indispensible.