McD's Turnstiles

Southpaw

Don't know if anyone has asked this already after yesterdays game but...

Do each stands turnstiles monitor how many fans are entering the whole stand?..assuming they do, do the stewards take account of the 50-100 single seats which will be dotted around the stand? ie close the gate when the turnstiles say we are 100 fans short of capacity.

Just wondered....

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do each stands turnstiles monitor how many fans are entering the whole stand?..assuming they do, do the stewards take account of the 50-100 single seats which will be dotted around the stand? ie close the gate when the turnstiles say we are 100 fans short of capacity.

Just wondered....

Obviously not after yesterdays debacle..I always thought there was a computerised system that meant the turnstiles locked up when capacity was reached..I am assuming that is also incorrect ..

Just wondered....

I think that is probably the problem. The number of single seats dotted round the stand would probably have accommodated those that were moved out in addition to which they had a section at the bottom corner which was not getting used.

Saints and Dundee were obviously caught out by the number of fans that came from Dundee yesterday. I heard some moans from fans that had paid for the main stand and then were ushered in behind the goals. Is there a price difference between the 2 for the visiting fans??

Stewart Duff has said they had been assured by Dundee that they would only be bringing a max of 2500. Don't know how Dundee could be so sure? Well as it turns out they were wrong and in turn Saints were caught because of this.

Dundee were offered the Ormond Stand during the week but said there was no way they would bring 3000.

I think that is probably the problem. The number of single seats dotted round the stand would probably have accommodated those that were moved out in addition to which they had a section at the bottom corner which was not getting used.

Saints and Dundee were obviously caught out by the number of fans that came from Dundee yesterday. I heard some moans from fans that had paid for the main stand and then were ushered in behind the goals. Is there a price difference between the 2 for the visiting fans??

If only the main stand is open, then away supporters are charged the prices of the away stand. However, if both stands are open then it's cheaper to sit behind the goal and the prices in the main stand go back up in line with what Saints fans pay to sit there.

Where I was in the east stand on Saturday there were 4 empty seats which stayed that way for the whole game two of the seats were not reserved for season ticket purposes.I do not hold with the criticism of the club for the situation regarding having to move people into other stands.Speaking of the situation where I was on Saturday why do folk turn up 5 or 10 minutes before kick off then stand around expecting stewards to find them a seat.The seats are there but they just cant be arsed looking for them,oh and if they leave it to the last moment to show up don't expect to sit beside your buddies.Part time supporters get on my wick.

Just wondered....

I once operated a turnstile in the North End and from memory there is a counter on the top of the turnstile which can only be viewed by climbing up the turnstile. This allows cash and punters to be reconciled. These were linked to a PC in the ticket office showing stand totals and ground totals. One problem in the Main Stand must be the complimentaries are not counted on the PC, they may be pre-set, I don't know.

Anyhow, that was almost 20 years ago and I was only a bairn so don't shoot the messenger!

This has managed to annoy the Dundee fans so much, it was a stroke of genius by the club. They are all threatening to write to the council to get our safety certificate revoked or to the SFL to get us a fine.

I must've been dreaming when there were Saints fans still standing outside Dens Park at 3:20pm in November.

This has managed to annoy the Dundee fans so much, it was a stroke of genius by the club. They are all threatening to write to the council to get our safety certificate revoked or to the SFL to get us a fine.

I must've been dreaming when there were Saints fans still standing outside Dens Park at 3:20pm in November.

Also in November 2005 I missed the saints first goal despite arriving at 1435! Apparently we told them to expect a small crowd and they opened one turnstile. Anyone else remember that day? How convenient some peoples memories are!

Also in November 2005 I missed the saints first goal despite arriving at 1435! Apparently we told them to expect a small crowd and they opened one turnstile. Anyone else remember that day? How convenient some peoples memories are!

I remember that one - the stewarts tried to search my 2 kids that were under 7 at the time - Dirty Bastards

Absolutely spot on, some people have short memories and I dont remember our fans complaining so vociferously after being severly delayed......... This doesnt happen if you arrive early.

The Ormond stand was always on stand by for this very outcome, it just happened that more Dundee fans came than was estimated by DFC. The situation arose partly because of so many late arrivals. The computer system would still indicate there was enough seats for all those standing......

Absolutely spot on, some people have short memories and I dont remember our fans complaining so vociferously after being severly delayed......... This doesnt happen if you arrive early.

The Ormond stand was always on stand by for this very outcome, it just happened that more Dundee fans came than was estimated by DFC. The situation arose partly because of so many late arrivals. The computer system would still indicate there was enough seats for all those standing......

The train off Dundee at 1352 was apparently packed. Now unless they all managed to get straight on public transport off the train, I estimate most people wouldnt be at the ground before 1445.

I was on the 1152 train, there was not many dundee fans. I was also jumping in a taxi outside taylors at 1315 and was amazed at how few fans were even on that train.

Morale of the story, if you want in the ground arrive early.

The annoying thing is, it's not as if this is the first time this sort of thing has happened, I remember a similar situation happening in the Dundee Utd, match the season they were in the first and also in the league cup game against Hibs in '98 when they were in the first and brought a bigger than expected support. As the guy from Dundeh said in the paper yesterday, it's the lack of a decent contingency plan that's the problem.

Stewart Duff has said they had been assured by Dundee that they would only be bringing a max of 2500. Don't know how Dundee could be so sure? Well as it turns out they were wrong and in turn Saints were caught because of this.

Dundee were offered the Ormond Stand during the week but said there was no way they would bring 3000.

What does it matter? You can't just rely on the opposition for crowd figures. It was a massive game for both teams, with a big crowd expected. It's St. Johnstone's duty to serve these fans, and they failed to act in time. It was an absolute shambles.

Likewise, that is unacceptable. What was the figure quoted by St. Johnstone for the amount of away fans travelling through to Dens that day? :rolleyes:

The home team should monitor the situation closely and react accordingly. It's not rocket science.

It just shows you how long St. Johnstone have been out of the SPL, eh?

Attention coags! It was a bit of a mess. Get over it. As has been posted above, the arrangements at your dump are consistently worse. I have missed kickoff there several times in recent seasons having arrived at the ground in plenty time.

The fact is all clubs in this division & many in the SPL are going to plan conservatively with crowd numbers because they can't afford to waste money overproviding staff/ refreshments etc. This was true at Dense last time when I queued for half an hour & missed kickoff. And they ran out of pehs although that's maybe for the best.

In the event, you all got in so put a sock in it! At least until we see how well your ramshackle club cope with our title celebrations on the 25th of April :D

Attention coags! It was a bit of a mess. Get over it. As has been posted above, the arrangements at your dump are consistently worse. I have missed kickoff there several times in recent seasons having arrived at the ground in plenty time.

The fact is all clubs in this division & many in the SPL are going to plan conservatively with crowd numbers because they can't afford to waste money overproviding staff/ refreshments etc. This was true at Dense last time when I queued for half an hour & missed kickoff. And they ran out of pehs although that's maybe for the best.

In the event, you all got in so put a sock in it! At least until we see how well your ramshackle club cope with our title celebrations on the 25th of April :D

Queue my New post!

At least until we see how well your ramshackle club cope with our title celebrations on the 25th of April :D

If St. Johnstone are to win the league, they better improve a lot more.

Dundee and Thistle are going to make life difficult. If St. Johnstone fail to take advantage of Dundee's 4 consecutive away games, Dundee will win the league.

Better not bottle it, again, Saintees!

Not the first time its been a shambles at mcdiarmid,last season or the one before we were advised to turn up early,I was there with my mate and his young son at 2.20 and the turnstiles were not open due to some ambulance reason I think,home fans were obviously affected also and did you not have a game called off 5 mins before kick off as well.Saying that I loved the fact we were all over your ground and you had to move segregations and open stands up for the mighty dees.And keep the one turnstile open for the next game at dens for the away end just to annoy yis.