#35 - 07/04/09 - Dunfermline Athletic (h)

Decent performances apart from in front of goal tonight I thought. But the strikers were poor and we persisted again with trying to play the ball over and behind their defence when we got more when we ran at them.

Plus points were the midfield again and Garters had a good game in defence. Ando did well but struggles when he's wrong-footed.

We need to up our game for Saturday - I'd look at dropping Homer and moving Sammy up to partner Savo. Bring Hardie into midfield to give us height when we're attacking if need be.

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yes we were - so to read the ludicrous comments from people who were not at the game really boils my pish...nobs the lot of ya!!! :razz::shock:

Mebbe so... but does it no bother you that we can no longer score. How can you win a league when you don't get goals. (I wasn't at the game) Looking at the majority of posts on here there wasn't much danger of us starting tonight. Are we gonna have to rely on draws in order to stagger over the line. If it wasn't for our defence we'd be hauf-way down this league.

Samuel just looked disinterested and gives up as soon as he is tackled. Poor effort tonight from the forward line!!

I think it must be hard for Samuel, when he gets the ball to feet, he looks dangerous, but if were drilling it at his head out on the wing. He doesn't have a chance. Get him up top for sat

Thought Saints dominated the first half, passing & possession was very good and we looked by far the better side.

Second half we ran out of ideas, started panicking, Dunfermline starting hitting us on the break and got more into the game.

Don't think we got the break of the ball tonight and the final ball just wasn't getting there. We could have had a couple of goals in the first half and we would have strolled that game if we had.

Hopefully Mooner showed Del why he should never be played out on the right again! Thought he was excellent and would have benefited from having Hardie next to him instead of Sheerin. Irvine had a good game and Ando did well (against a tricky opponent) considering he's hardly played. Homer tries but just doesn't do enough to warrant a place in the team.

We CAN take at least a point from EEP. I'm fairly sure Pars fans will say they haven't played as well as they did tonight for a long time yet we easily outplayed them in the first half.

I think if we'd scored a goal tonight, everyone would be quite happy with the performance. It was much better than against Livi, County, Dundee and Thistle at McDiarmid but when we don't get an early goal we tend to run out of ideas, not helped by the total lack of balance to the side. I long for McInnes to simply get back to basics with two central midfielders .

Me too, we need to sort the midfield we have enough very decent players to make that the hallmark of the side, its the best in the division. That is less true of the front players where I don't think we do have the quality in depth. It frustrates me that we can't get consistency in midfield a fornation that gells. I thought Millar was poor again, and I was so willing him to play well. Sheerin dominated the first 45 and as you say had either of his on-target shots beaten the keeper we would have settled to a comfortable 3 points.

Frustrated but far from despondent yet another hard grafted point, I think we will get something at EEP too.

We can 'if and but' all we like, and swap opinions, but there is only one irrefutable fact after tonight's game, and that is that Thistle are even further behind us now.

C'mon Saints

Very frustrating not to have come away with the 3 points, the expectation/pressure level was high for us to take the maximum out of our game in hand, as it is we've only INCREASED our lead at the top by a point, could be a valuable point come end of season - time will tell.

Dont know if it's just a knee jerk reaction from all the doom and gloom merchants to their sense of frustration, that they feel the need to make it sound so bad tonight.

I thought we played some good stuff in the 1st half especially - Sherin in particular was outstanding i felt. A little bit more luck in front of goal could easily have seen Savo, Homer or Sherin score. Dunfermline offerred little at all.

Fair enough they came into it more 2nd half but I think that was only cos we were pushing so hard, certainly cant say we weren't trying to attack, very attack minded.

Would have settled for 4 points from this double header, would rather have 3 in the bag after the home game but as has been pointed out already, they dont have a good home record - lets continue that with a win on Saturday please!

I can't understand Saints lack of decent chances tonight, and I don't hold the forwards 100% responsible. On numerous occasions in the first half millar and irvine would link up well and had their defence all over the shop yet as soon as millar got to the edge of the box he changed direction and played the ball backwards instead of trying to beat his man. I can recall him taking on his man once, and beat him well, only for the perfect pass he played to be completely left by three unmarked Saints players.

We really need to be more positive on the attack and just get some shots at goal. I think its time to take a risk and do something like stick James/Hardie up there for the final 10 mins or take a punt with reynolds.

Arguably the most famous saints player of all time took a risk with his mob on sunday and look what happened. Then again when have saints ever been given the kind of injury time united get!

The folk who have said "thats it now" will lighten up tomorrow morning and consider our current position a pretty decent one.

With a bit of composure and dedication from the players and positive vocal support from us "fans" (remember we choose to support this club) we can win this league!

With hindsight, i think (as daft as it may sound) a 5 man midfield of Millar, Mooner, Hardie, Sheerin, Sammy with Savo up top on his own could have won us tonights game.

Sammy & Millar would have cover to attack high up the pitch and Mooner/Hardie could break forward with cover behind.

With hindsight, i think (as daft as it may sound) a 5 man midfield of Millar, Mooner, Hardie, Sheerin, Sammy with Savo up top on his own could have won us tonights game.

Agreed even better if Jody was fit in then we'd have the perfect 5. For me Samuel would have to drop to the bench. I know this will be sacrilege to some but i don't get with it Sammy - sorry.

Exactly Lark!Couldn't believe it!Was the best we've played at home for weeks,just lacked the finish to some decent chances.As for all those now saying the league is lost,well they can all get te feck!We need fans who are positive and supportive,not reactionary pricks,who no doubt some weeks ago,had us winning it in a canter.

yeh i have to agree, just lacked that wee bit killer touch!! oh for a johny brogan or a jason scotland!! thre booing was really pish!! no excuses, couldnt blame the players if they stuck two fingers up to the twats!!!:mad:

The booing was from a tiny minority of fans, so i would even give it another thought.

The players need to realise that most of them will never have a better chance of winning a medal in the game. So get out there on Saturday and grab the opportunity with both hands.

this is where it gets interesting.....its gonna go to the Airdrie game,thought theboooing at the end was crap

4 POINTS CLEAR...BETTER GOAL DIF....AND ONLY 5 GAMES ...BRING IT ON

thought 'the saints go marchin on' for 10 mins was class.and off coarse 1 john pelosi

ITS GONNA BE A ROLLER COASTER RIDE..........

I know this will be sacrilege to some but i don't get with it Sammy - sorry.

IMO Sammy is technically superior to most in our league, but as someone mentioned he was marked out of the game tonight. With an extra midfielder you get an extra runner (or two) free in the middle who have to be picked up, hopefully leaving Sammy more space or else the runners in space.

I thought we were pretty poor and that is an understatement. We are so 1 dimensional it is untrue. Fair play to Rusty and the rest of the defence credit, it is brilliant and admirable that we have lost so few games.

This is not panic stations, but the reality and lack of goals is clear for all to see. We play a very slow game pushing forward. The first half was very slow, (save for Sheerin weighing in with a couple of shots and Chris finding form after 20 mins). This is primarily due to Homer playing up front.

His goal scoring record is pants and his miss in the first half and shockingly ineffective header in the second is frustrating. For the sake of securing the championship he must be spared for a few games surely? OK he does his best but let's be honest it is pretty ineffective and most defences across the league cope with him very comfortably.

Can we pleases play Sammy and Savo up front hook Homer and play Liam on the left? Another thing why does Del always use 3 subs?!?!?!?!?!

Bringing on Swankie? 9 mins to dig deep, doubt he needed a shower at FT.

Come on Saints let's get right in aboot it.

All aboard for East end. COME ON! COME ON!

The posts on here get worse all the time.

Fine performance tonight, booing was miles out of order. Good game, great atmosphere in the second half, decent skill levels, massive effort from our boys and we survived one of Main's "I'm a Celebrity" moments.

Del got it wrong again and we can only hope that Savo suffers no recation to playing tonight but the players were great.

We need a sticky on here for all the dicks so that they can post the following:

"Give Reynolds a chance" - he's miles away

"We're no gonnae win the league" - we are

"Swankie's mince" - most talented winger in the league

Swankie cannae get a game at the moment. He played well against that Govan team, can't really think of much else this season..........sorry. I know we have been blessed with many great wingers over the years, Moore, Maskrey, Jenko, Tommy, Tosh, Hartley. Swankie is not a fraction of any of these legends. Wake up and smell the coffee, he was pathetic for the 9 mins he had. He could have and SHOULD have demanded a jersey from now until Airdire. Fact. David Graham certainly showed some neat wing play for 90 mins this evening.

That was a weird one. Arguably we played some of our best football this year in the middle of the park with Sheerin and Moon excelling. On the flip side, we're as impotent as a 107 year old man up front. I've said it all season but our strikers are rubbish and they have been all season. Despite our midfield having lots of the ball, they had nobody to pass to all night. Hence another bloody draw.

I read the comments in disbelief really.

1. How many would have taken 4 point lead with 5 games to go??

2. Do "supporters" enjoy slagging our own players on a daily basis??

It's very easy to make flippant remarks like the strikers are "rubbish"!! Savo is in the top 4 for goals per game in the league, and Homer has assisted in a lot of them, adding a handful himself. Can anyone name a striker who scores goals without having chances?? To all the real supporters, keep getting behind the team, and i'm sure we can do it!! To the rest, keep slagging the players and get your own kicks. Constructive critisism, yes, plain abuse, no.

I thought Saints played some great stuff in the first half; the best performances for a long time but just couldn't get the goal to finish it off. We have really missed the likes of Jacko and Peaso just to give us other options up front.

Whilst Holmes was getting pelters from my area in the East Stand, I thought our attacking options actually reduced when we took him off. Although he might not have the pace of Sammy, the fact he gets stuck in makes life very hard for the opposition defenders and I think we had more chance scoring with him still on.

As for the boos, I think more out of frustration from the home fans rather than anything else. After a good first half it was more a case of 'when' we score rather than 'if' we score but it just didn't turn out that way.

IMO Dunfy were pretty poor - compared to Fissel, they were never in the game. There's hope for Saturday and we're still 4 points clear...

I read the comments in disbelief really.

1. How many would have taken 4 point lead with 5 games to go??

2. Do "supporters" enjoy slagging our own players on a daily basis??

It's very easy to make flippant remarks like the strikers are "rubbish"!! Savo is in the top 4 for goals per game in the league, and Homer has assisted in a lot of them, adding a handful himself. Can anyone name a striker who scores goals without having chances?? To all the real supporters, keep getting behind the team, and i'm sure we can do it!! To the rest, keep slagging the players and get your own kicks. Constructive critisism, yes, plain abuse, no.

If you think Holmes and Savo are a good partnership then good for you. Don't take a pop at the rest of the people on here who you arrogantly label "Supporters" because they prefer the fresh air to sand.

Nobody on here is questioning the teams commitment or attitude. However, I feel the fans are entitled to want to be entertained. It's tough to be entertained when the team are not scoring goals like they should.

Swankie cannae get a game at the moment. He played well against that Govan team, can't really think of much else this season..........sorry. I know we have been blessed with many great wingers over the years, Moore, Maskrey, Jenko, Tommy, Tosh, Hartley. Swankie is not a fraction of any of these legends. Wake up and smell the coffee, he was pathetic for the 9 mins he had. He could have and SHOULD have demanded a jersey from now until Airdire. Fact. David Graham certainly showed some neat wing play for 90 mins this evening.
FFS how the hell can anybody be judged on 9 mins???

The reason he doesnt get played at home more often is because of this attitude. I would rather the ball is at his feet on the edge of the box or touchline than just about any of our other players? He hasnt had a great season but give the boy a break. :roll:

Were you at Clyde Away? Airdrie Home Game? Morton Away? to say he has only played against rangers is far from true.