Your second team.

williamwonka

Just curious to find out how people choose there second team. Normally it appears to be an English team in the Premier League. Obviously if you grew up in one area and moved to another, it's easy to see why. But it's when you see loads of folk in a perth pub supporting Liverpool, Man Utd etc (and there are loads of them in Perth), I just wonder how they made their mind up they wanted to support them. I would guess a lot of them would be from Perth. Personally, I would love to support a second team but just don;t feel as passionate supporting someone else as I do for Saints. Dare I say it, I would rather watch a Saints game than a Scotland game.

In Ireland a few months ago, Liverpool were playing Everton. I decided to support Everton just for that match (because i knew it would wind some folk up). They scored and I cheered. The guys I was with gave me an evil look and said why are you supporting Everton? I replied ''for the same reason you are supporting liverpool''.

I know some parts of Ireland have old connections with liverpool but these guys couldnt tell me why they supported Liverpool.

Im not having a rant by the way, I just want to understand where the second team (or in some cases the first team) comes from.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Never really have a second team but I do tend to watch out for other teams depending of personal circumstances or who's playing for them at the time.

I have watched out for Southend and West Ham for last couple of years because of my work location. Also Burnley and Swansea because of the saintees links. Have a bit of a soft spot for Sunderland because Craig Gordon is there (as I do with most teams who have Scottish Internationalists)

I am a passionate football supporter, like to see the underdog have their day too. So other than Saints, Scotland (Anti-England) I dont really care.

I didn't have one until I moved to Stevenage and couldn't get to many Saints games, my flatmate and I became regulars at Broadhall Way watching Boro'. I only make it a couple of times a year these days (mostly when they're around Manchester way) but as much as I enjoy watching them it'll never be a patch on watching Saints.

Since I've lived in Manchester I've been to see most of the teams around here and I now have a wee soft spot for Stockport County and to a lesser extent Man City but I'd never go so far as to say I support either of them. Like Mike I also keep an eye out for the scores of teams down here with Saints connections.

I have been known to make the odd trip to selhurst park.

I look out for Fiorentina and Monaco results when I remember.

Dont mind Villa either

I could make a longer list of clubs i dont like much....MK dons millwall leeds hull stoke charlton

At a younger age I had a soft spot for Chelsea, mainly due to the genius named Zola.

Still would say theyre my favourite team in the Premiership, but the arrival of stupid amounts of dosh and a few arsehole players has meant I don't show as much attention on them as before.

Saints are the only club I truely care about.

West Brom.

I went to work in central Birmingham and then move to a hotel in West Bromwich which was only half a mile away from the Hawthorns. All the new players and the management teams stayed with us and I became friendly with a few of them. I paid for my first every game and sat in the Brummie Road end. Albion beat Crystal Palace 5-3 ( it was only 1-0 at HT) Was a brilliant and exciting game. After that I was told I could get comps if I asked and I never paid again. Eventually when Ossie Ardiles and Keith Burkenshaw were in charge I was left 3 briefs at reception for every game to save me having to ask . That made me very popular. I have some cracking photos of me with Brian Talbot, Bobby Gould and Ossie and Keith and some of the players including Super Bob Taylor ( who gave me his Albion top at the end of one season). As the Moat House in West Brom was so central, we had lots of teams stopping at the hotel for Pre match meals. The record was 5 different clubs on one day. Due to this I was very lucky and got to meet so top players and managers. I actually bollocked Vinny Jones for juggling with raw eggs in the restaurant one day( and amazingly he stopped). Met Bruce Rioch who felt compeled to tell me who he was. I said there was no need as he was a Scottish Ledgend and I knew exactly who he was. Barry Fry also stayed with us when he was manager at Birmingham city and he was a great bloke . Loved to wind me up though and one day after Albion had lost 4-0 to the blues he came storming into the kitchen and started shoutting " Right then where that ****ing sweaty sock b******". To be fair to him though , he also had a pint for me. Really was a sound guy. I stayed there for 5 years and only missed a handful of home games. I only went to two away games though. One was a 3-2 victory at Wolves but the game was marred by scenes of violent mayhem afterwards. It really was insane and is still one of the only times I have been shitting myself at a football match. The other away game was Wembley for the division 2 play-off final against Port Vale in 1993 which Albion one 3-0.

Great days...:D

I refuse to answer this on the grounds that i will get slaughtered for my answer!!! Those that know me will know what i mean.!!! :laugh::laugh:.........!!! so i will tell you my third team ,Peterhead Because my wife is from there and when i first went up there in 1983 i addopted them as my Highland league team!!

Stoke City became my team in 1991 when i was about 10. My old man bought me a Stoke top while we are Ingilston Market and i've been hooked since. They were in the 3rd tier of English football back then as well. Was at 5 games last year and hope to beat that total this coming season. Top club and best fans i've ever met.