67% of us will be supporting england in the world cup.

shandon saint

Will you be supporting England in this years world cup?  

190 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/front_page/4857268.stm

Apparently 67% of scots will be supporting england in this years world cup... I am not sure where they did the polling... perhaps down stockbridge in edinburgh as I am sure that two thirds of my scottish friends won't be cheering on beckam & co.

So i have decided to conduct my own poll here... on account that I wasn't asked in the first instance! if you are scottish feel free to vote... If you are english please don't vote as I want to see what the scots are thinking! Pehapes the results will back up the bbc survey......

Like most people, its not the actual team that i have the problem with as they definitely have the quality to win the tournament, but its the arrogance of the media who believe england have a divine right to win and belittle every team they play and the commentators suddenly lose their impartiality as soon as the game starts! :twisted:

Come on T&T!!!! :D:D

I can't believe this poll either.

I mean no offence to my friends in England but they're our rivals.

Will Dundee Utd and Saints fans be wishing Dundee well tomorrow? I don't think so somehow. What's the point of having rivals if you want them to do well. It's Illogoical and if these results are correct we might as well have a British team. :evil:

nae chance. I hope the fail miserably :)

I've had so much stick for being scottish and about our national team from English friends, there's no way I'd want them to do well.

I agree Phil

Just because england are our neighbours doesnt mean we have to support them!! Apart from the history, what difference are england to us than any other country, i try to keep away from the "special" treatment that some english folk seem to think they deserve.

P.S. The english media is so frustratingly biased and arrogant I choose not to support them just because of that fact let alone anything else. Then they go on about how WE are being small-minded - well SORRY for hearing about england 20 times in one news programme, they bring the dislike upon themselves...... rant over!

I hope they do well. We really need to get the chip off our shoulder about england and the whole bias thing. Really who gives a toss, i doubt our commentators will spend 90 mins being completely neutral and fair. We would slaughter them for it. As for dominating the national news, well thats hardly suprising considering the population difference.

The whole 'never support them' movement is a national disgrace. Not saying we should get behind them and start wearing England shirts and watch the games on a big screen in the Inch though. Just quitely let them get on with it and enjoy the world cup for the football.

Honestly, we get annoyed at Old Firm fans. This isnt much better.

I won't be supporting England - no chance. I don't consider myself British so I've got no more reason to support England than I have to support Togo or Korea or any other random team.

But the reason I'll end up actively wanting them to lose has nothing to do with nationalism or Scotland-England rivalry or anything like that. I'm not a nationalist and I don't care about any of that. I'll want them to lose because, as soon as the coverage starts and the pundits/commentators start arrogantly going on about how great they think England are and showing a complete lack of respect for their opposition, I'll want to see them brought down a peg. Seeing the smiles wiped off their faces is, for me, just a traditional part of every international football tournament!

For me, it's a hatred of arrogance rather than a hatred of England - it's similar to the overwhelming desire I have to see Robbie Williams fall on a nail every time he appears on TV.

I hope they do well. We really need to get the chip off our shoulder about england and the whole bias thing. Really who gives a toss, i doubt our commentators will spend 90 mins being completely neutral and fair. We would slaughter them for it. As for dominating the national news, well thats hardly suprising considering the population difference.

The whole 'never support them' movement is a national disgrace. Not saying we should get behind them and start wearing England shirts and watch the games on a big screen in the Inch though. Just quitely let them get on with it and enjoy the world cup for the football.

Honestly, we get annoyed at Old Firm fans. This isnt much better.

I have to say i agree - but i would say it quietly around here. i'm british so i will be supporting them. i cant help but feel if scotland was so obsessed with being anti england and were more interested in beating the world they would go much further.

to use an example oxford and cambridge uni's compete in the brit uni comps but they are quite happy if they come second bottom aslong as the other is below them. its a very -ve attitude and doesnt help them compete at the top level against the other good uni's. this is only an example and i'm not saying that this is the case with scot/eng but it has the sme sort of feel. i'll see you all at the gallows tomorrow morning....

I hope they do well. We really need to get the chip off our shoulder about england and the whole bias thing.

Why?

Really who gives a toss,

A lot more than those that dont

i doubt our commentators will spend 90 mins being completely neutral and fair. We would slaughter them for it. As for dominating the national news, well thats hardly suprising considering the population difference.

On the rare occasions Scottish commentators are allowed to broadcast on a game that goes throughout the UK they are a lot more neutral than the English who always go into 'we' mode and even if England arent actually playing they continually talk about England.

The population arguement is a smokescreen especially when the BBC is involved. They forget the basic principle of the British Broadcasting Corporation - a Scotsman, Welshman and Irishman pays exactly the same BBC Tax that an Englishman does so they should receive the same in return. They should be broadcasting to Britain but dont. They forget about the 3 other diddy counties and broadcast to England, end of story.

Two basic problems for Scotland are -

1.Trying to be partners with a country that is 10 times our size

2. That country happens to be one of the most nationalistic, arrogant, self important countries in the world. The only other countries they consider on their level are major nations eg US, France, Germany etc. All others are beneath them and that includes its 3 neighbours.

A dangerous side effect of this is that they have control of the British media and nowadays that is a powerful weapon.

Im sure ill get slaughtered for a lot of that, but I shall just say that I have lived both north and south of the border and am currently living in England, so I am no anti English nationalist. Just a realist.

Like most people, its not the actual team that i have the problem with as they definitely have the quality to win the tournament, but its the arrogance of the media who believe england have a divine right to win and belittle every team they play and the commentators suddenly lose their impartiality as soon as the game starts! :twisted:

Come on T&T!!!! :D:D

Fully Agree

No doubt we will get the build up to England's first game at half time during the opening match and all other games until they play then the post match analysis will run for 2 or 3 games as well.

Arrogance maybe, I's rather use the term self confident to describe most English people I know and in some ways thats what helps their team do well. They do have good players but for me the best night of the competition will be when Germany or Poland or Italy or Spain or USA or ..... send John Motson and his team of commentators home

Everytime the world cup or euro championship comes around we start the 'support anyone who plays england' bandwagon. On the basis of their commentators being 'arrogant' and not on the fact they are a good or bad footie team. It has always struck me as a slightly petty attitude which doesnt do Scotlands reputation much good. There is a certain level of obsession amongst some about the media bias issue who make it a much bigger issue than it is.

On saying that, it is always a good laugh when they inevitably struggle against a diddy team, like it would be if Brazil struggled against a diddy team.

I hope they do well.

then you say .....

On saying that, it is always a good laugh when they inevitably struggle against a diddy team

:roll:

The point is it's about rivalry an d not that petty.

I'll accept your point if -

England wish France well or

England wish Germany well or

Rangers (great England fans) wish Celtic well.

I wonder where this 'petty' argument came from? :wink:

maybe they dont wish them well but they are not so obsessed with them losing. yes i'm sure england want to beat them but they dont care about other people beating them. if germany lose to brazil/france romania or outer mongolia england wont really care that much about it. where as if england lose to poland then thge scottish support will be overjoyed

maybe they dont wish them well but they are not so obsessed with them losing. yes i'm sure england want to beat them but they dont care about other people beating them. if germany lose to brazil/france romania or outer mongolia england wont really care that much about it. where as if england lose to poland then thge scottish support will be overjoyed

Jimbo, I think every smaller nation who has a larger neighbouring nation will treat them more as rivals than the other way around and will want to put one over them (as we did in our last football and rugby games :D ) or let someone else put one over them. It's like that the world over.

Two of the biggest rivals at the world cup will be Holland and Germany and I can assure you the Dutch will want Germany to have bad results.

I don't think it's as unnatural as some people are making out.

then you say .....

:roll:

The point is it's about rivalry an d not that petty.

I'll accept your point if -

England wish France well or

England wish Germany well or

Rangers (great England fans) wish Celtic well.

I wonder where this 'petty' argument came from? :wink:

Aye but you edited out my point that it's always enjoyable when any big international team struggles versus a wee international team. Makes the world cup what it is.

As for the England/France/Germany thing i would say that alot of people enjoyed the French team of the late 90s and whilst not actively supporting them, i am sure they didnt wish them gubbed because the media supposedly supports them. Also the Old firm thing ii is a bit different in that they are direct rivals in the same league, england vs scotland in terms of football is non-existent these days, so theres no real football reason why we should hate them. It's all to do with peoples perceptions of the media in the UK and for me thats pretty sad as it has no relevance to what happens on the pitch.

As for the England/France/Germany thing i would say that alot of people enjoyed the French team of the late 90s and whilst not actively supporting them, i am sure they didnt wish them gubbed because the media supposedly supports them. Also the Old firm thing ii is a bit different in that they are direct rivals in the same league, england vs scotland in terms of football is non-existent these days, so theres no real football reason why we should hate them. It's all to do with peoples perceptions of the media in the UK and for me thats pretty sad as it has no relevance to what happens on the pitch.

I don't want England to do well because they're Scotland's main rival at international level. It's that simple.

There may be a few pc types who feel a little guilty of this but that's the way it is. They're media naturally just reflect the nations nationalism often to the point of a frenzy and then look for blood immediately after they fail which is inevitable.That's why Sven's resigned in advance so to pre-empt this madness. The whole of England will have flags in their gardens, on houses, on cars etc and we will see all of this on the BBC (British Broadcasting Corporation) and other UK TV channels. I would think it was unnatural if this didn't get the Scots, Irish and Welsh to be antagonistic.

One of the Englaish supporter's favourite songs (certainly at Euro 2000 because I personally witnessed this in a large bar) is when they are winning to shout at the opposition fans 'Are you Scotland in disguise?' On that occasion they were beating Portugal 2-0 but then lost three goals in a row to lose 3-2. :) At the end just for a joke we sang 'Are you England in real life? Are you ...'. Then several glasses were thrown in our direction. So obviously they're not our rivals and they wish us well, so we should do similar. :wink:

The fact that England are our main rivals means that for many of us we'll have other competing countries we are hoping do well. They have some good players and I'm sure they'll probably cruise through the group stages.

I think I'll support Holland, Italy, Spain, Portugal, Ecuador (great wee team), Brazil, Argentina, Paraguay, Australia, The T&T, Mexico and the United States. :)