#27 - 06/02/10 - Saints 0-1 Dundee Utd - Scottish Cup

How can Billy dodds say that was not a free kick on the goalie. Dodds came in on the keeper like a steam train with his foot up. As for the penalty a blind man could have seen that.

As for the leeper only an idiot or someone witha hidden agenda would say that he had a bad game today, he pulled off half a dozen good saves. Main can stay on the bench.

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

There are some here who would treat other forumers as lepers!:rolleyes::wink:

• Replies 342
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought it was pretty poor at the game but not that bad, was embarrassing seeing that. Anyone got any rough figures of how many Saintees today?

Just over 5.3k in total, with the Ormond and North stands being about 90% full I would say we had less fans than Utd did!!

The silence was deafening.............

We can all watch the highlights and say what we think after three different camera angles but a decision has to be made on the spot, right or wrong it is the ref's decision unfortunately

I forgot all about the highlights being on tonight, and haven't seen them, but at the time the penalty seemed as clear cut as you can get! Apparently the TV showed that to be the case and yet again Saints have been denied a stonewall penalty at a crucial time in the game. Do not even try and tell me either of the OF wouldn't have been awarded that :mad:

I didn't see the foul on the keeper during the game but the ref seemed happy to allow Utd's centre backs to foul the whole time so not surprised. :sad:

Another disappointing performance from Saints today, possibly even more so than Wednesday. We've matched up well to United in midfield so far this season but when they have the players they do in that area of the park, we are never gonna be able to afford not being totally on our game. Actually thought Conway was much better than at Tannadice but Swanson was quieter but all four were excellent a never let us get a grip of the game, like we so often manage.

They were brilliant in parts of yesterday's game. We really weren't all that bad. Too many forumers on here can't accept that a rival team's performance will fluctuate. i.e. When we played Rangers at home, they were easily beatable, at Ibrox they were unstoppable; I can't tell you anything about Wednesday because of our formation.

The result of course was we were forced to go long too often (I love how folk think this is a conscious choice made by McInnes or the players) and Kenneth and Dods are gonna cope with that all day. Milne was busy and caused them far more bother than MacDonald but you can tell he needs a goal.

I remember writing after the Forfar shambles (and starting a massive hissy fit) that Savo was desperate for a goal and serverly lacking in confidence. It came from Del, though I didn't say so at the time, it's now staring everyone in the face. Trouble is, by persisting with him, Del has now shot Peaso's confidence, playing him wide right doesn't help, though I suspect you disagree.

The decision to go 4-3-3 yet again, which hasn't worked since the tail end of the 2007/08 campaign, was baffling as we were already struggling enough in the midfield. The change made Chris Millar totally redundant in the second half. Sheerin actually showed some nice touches when he came on but with all due respect to him, I think that's just a sign of how poorly the other midfielders had played.

Do you now agree that 4-4-2 is the only way?

Would you honestly let Sheerin near the squad again?

Defensively, we still look a mess at times. I'm not gonna get stuck into Gary Irvine as he got a (very harsh) early yellow and that was always gonna make his job hard. Early doors you could tell Duberry had done one training session with the team (after driving through the night) but he looked more like it in the second half and I'm still hopeful he can do a good job for us.

Conway was immense, again.

Could argue a few decisions went against us (and I thought Craig Thomson was far too involved) but when we don't do enough ourselves, it's wrong to moan too much about them.

Murder polis, oughta be stripped of his status.

Sad yet again to see folk using the result to push their own agendas though. Some of our players could play the game of their lives and they'd still get no credit.

Moi? You've admitted Sheerin was no great shakes and we both agree that Sheridan shouldn't be involved with this club, don't we?

I don't know if I can believe you the Daily Record disagrees :)

"SORRY St Johnstone's week of cup misery ended with another dire display as United moved into the quarter-finals with more ease than their solitary strike suggests."

Ach well, I guess I'm wrong. We must have been dire. I'll check what other forumers have said and get back to you:laugh:

Do you now agree that 4-4-2 is the only way?

I don't really remember ever championing for 4-3-3 since McInnes' first season, when it worked with Jackson, Milne and MacDonald. I also don't think the 4-5-1 has been a permanent disaster although results struggle to back that up. Against Hibs and Rangers I thought we created chances with it and that game at Easter Road can only be blamed on poor finishing. I like 4-4-2 though and felt I've made that clear.

Would you honestly let Sheerin near the squad again?

You word things badly. Saying it like that makes it sound unnecessarily harsh. I thought Sheerin showed some really nice, quick touches yesterday but I still think that on form, our other central midfielders provide a better option, as evidenced by their selection for much of the campaign.

Conway was immense, again.

I thought Conway was their poorest midfielder at Tannadice and wasn't surprised to see him subbed off. Myrie-Williams was much more effective when he came on. He was good yesterday though and seems to have got himself back involved after missing out earlier in the season when Robertson was fit.

Murder polis, oughta be stripped of his status.

Possibly slightly over the top.

Moi? You've admitted Sheerin was no great shakes and we both agree that Sheridan shouldn't be involved with this club, don't we?

Perceptive rather than paranoid. I wasn't so much talking about Sheridan although it does apply to him. You are a very prominent poster on here and a lot of folk pay attention to what you say. Constantly repeating it tends to give stuff more attention than it deserves and the criticism of Graeme Smith is unjustified IMO. You are not alone but I feel a lot of folk are guilty of failing to see past their favourites but at the same time, are unable to give any credit to players they don't rate or like.

I didn't say Sheerin was no great shakes either, I said he did well but I still rate our other midfielders above him. I also never said Sheridan shouldn't be involved with this club, yet more extreme wording from yourself. He hasn't impressed me yet and I think he should have to earn his place in the side but he's more than entitled to do that and I hope he manages it.

Too much extremes in the posts about Sheerin and way too much attention-seeking too. There is no question that Miller, Morris, Murray Davidson and Moon are better starting options but only if they are consistently on form, fit to play and combining well. That is a hell of a lot of 'ifs' - so until we reach that ellusive Nirvana, Paul Sheerin remains a very decent option both as a gifted player and an experienced midfielder. Whether that will remain the case if/when Hardie returns from injury is another 'if' again

So the simple answer is yes he should be let near the squad, honestly.

I don't really remember ever championing for 4-3-3 since McInnes' first season, when it worked with Jackson, Milne and MacDonald. I also don't think the 4-5-1 has been a permanent disaster although results struggle to back that up. Against Hibs and Rangers I thought we created chances with it and that game at Easter Road can only be blamed on poor finishing. I like 4-4-2 though and felt I've made that clear.

You tend not to support me when I call for 4-4-2, so I assumed that you were one of the youthful chaps that believe we can be successful using other formations.

Our biggest elephant at the moment is that we can play 4-5-1 with Sammy. Sammy looks good in a 4-5-1 (as long as the game is televised) but we never support it quickly enough.

You word things badly. Saying it like that makes it sound unnecessarily harsh. I thought Sheerin showed some really nice, quick touches yesterday but I still think that on form, our other central midfielders provide a better option, as evidenced by their selection for much of the campaign.

I word things to annoy folk!

I'm not sure what the answer is! I assume you are saying that you would include him again? I wouldn't have him near a squad, save for an end of season hurrah. He can't last more than 20 minutes (as he proved again yesterday), therefore he can't be our only central midfield option. When he came on, he showed that the touch is still there - but we all knew that!

His contribution was very disappointing.

I thought Conway was their poorest midfielder at Tannadice and wasn't surprised to see him subbed off. Myrie-Williams was much more effective when he came on. He was good yesterday though and seems to have got himself back involved after missing out earlier in the season when Robertson was fit.

I thought he was excellent at Tannadice and Swanson stole the credit because of his goal. Myrie-Williams got lucky because he entered when his team were on top and our lads were on a downer, physically and emotionally.

Perceptive rather than paranoid. I wasn't so much talking about Sheridan although it does apply to him. You are a very prominent poster on here and a lot of folk pay attention to what you say. Constantly repeating it tends to give stuff more attention than it deserves and the criticism of Graeme Smith is unjustified IMO. You are not alone but I feel a lot of folk are guilty of failing to see past their favourites but at the same time, are unable to give any credit to players they don't rate or like.

I am happy to give credit where it's due. I was very disappointed when we signed Smith. Neverthless, he instantly won me over at Ayr and I said to Ghostie and Lampshade that he would be a very good reserve. I've seen nothing to change my mind.

He is not as good as Main because; he punches too often and punches very poorly. It is basic defending to clear a ball to the side, yet he always punches to the D. I can't believe that Alzo and Marshall are condoning such recklessness. He is bullied at every set piece and his communication is very poor. Nevertheless, he has very good shot stopping and handling, his kicking is good under pressure but worse than Main's when he has no pressure.

Main was dropped because Del doesn't like him and also because of his age. That now looks a silly decision. I also predicted as much.

It is also important to recognise my ability when it comes to judging a player on a single performance.

I vehemently objected to Caff because I said he was no better than we had - this has been borne out.

I was against McKoy following the East Fife game - I was proven correct.

I have been against Sheridan following his chronic debut. He is gash and that will be borne out in time.

I have praised Mooner since the Brechin game and he has proven to most that he is exceptional.

I have been a fan of Midgie since the Burnley friendly in 2008 and he has really blossomed this season.

I have been shouting and screaming about Stevie May for a while and he scored in 20 minutes against Airdrie while Stevie Reynolds achieved hee haw in 70 minutes. How many forumers would have chosen Reynolds over May?

Folk can hate me all they want, but they also might wanna look back at the comments I've made following players' debuts and then consider the final summary of the player in question. Invariably, I get it spot on.

Now the above doesn't mean that they'll play well at all times. I love Gartland, but he was awful at Ibrox and worse at Hampden. I'd still sign him up for next season, because he has a big talent. That's when I get defensive.

It could have been the same with Peanut and I fear one day it will. If Peanut starts on Wednesday, he'll be badly shown up and people will come on here and slate him. Unfortunately, when they do so they will choose to ignore his previous service to this club. That is the crux of the problem on this forum.

By all means say what you see in terms of an individual game, but don't ignore the players' previous contribution. I would probably cry if Mackay was ever allowed to play right back for us again because he is poor in that position. When it happens, I will almost certainly criticise both Del and the player, but it will be with the caveat that he is our best centre-back. Folk need to keep the balance.

It's a bit like the over-reaction to our defeat yesterday. We played well, they played better. Simple. Nothing to do with the players being jaded or Del getting things wrong. They played better, they won the game and we all lived happily ever after.

I didn't say Sheerin was no great shakes either, I said he did well but I still rate our other midfielders above him. I also never said Sheridan shouldn't be involved with this club, yet more extreme wording from yourself. He hasn't impressed me yet and I think he should have to earn his place in the side but he's more than entitled to do that and I hope he manages it.

We all hope that players earn a start, but that isn't the point. You have to judge a player on what you see. In Sheridan I see nothing that makes me think he'll score for us on a regular basis, he cannot time a jump and he has no willingness to fight for his team mates. I'd send him home right now. I guess you are now more optimistic than me!

Came down from Lossie to watch this game. I think that Saints got a lot of the basics wrong yesterday, passing and shooting is the name of the game. I think that lumping the ball up to Deuchar, (who incidentally was getting fouled an awful lot yesterday) and not having a plan B was our downfall. United didnt have to resort to that and had more than one opening to attack our goal. Conroy got a lot of joy out of our wide right and I didnt think he was policed properly by Millar, or Irvine. I think Dels decision to take off Davidson was wrong and I think that it should have been Millar or Morais that came off, Leaving Sheerin to play wide, where he is best, saying that though, I thought Sheering added a bit of bite to the midfield, an area Saints mostly lost throughout the game possibly because we are used to punting past them, Uniteds midfield bossed it. The referee did not help either, I thought that Irvines booking was harsh and he did not follow that up with bookings for other tackles of the same ilk. The penalty was a definite and United defenders were getting away with murder. As for thier goal, maybe Smith was fouled, but I cant understand why he didnt flop on the ball when it was between his legs. Dissapointing stuff. I hope its better next week at killie, as I am planning to go to that one too.

They were better than us, that's about it. I was dissapointed with the bench, we were crying out for something special down the flanks and we couldn't do anything about it because Swankie wasn't even in the squad, instead we had Sheridan on the bench for no good reason. If Del isn't going to play him he should have been loaned out and another winger brought in.

Well that finished a great 4 days for Saints, the better team won and I think most of the issues have been covered

It's a feature of our play. Really bad under Coyle and little better under Del. They need to wear studs.

Yup you can bet the players who were falling all over the place would have blades on. Its time someone at the club had a word with them

Just on the TV.

How is that no a penalty!!! Disgraceful refereeing. Speaking of Disgraceful, our support never realised how bad it was in the game.

The club need to do something about the support as yesterday was bad. Where have all the fans gone. We are at our highest level for years and the fans are turning away. It was a Scottish cup game so more people should be there than that! Raith Rovers allowed season ticket holders in for free yesterday and its maybe something clubs need to look at. Imagine how shit the players must have felt coming out to that with United fans almost filling each end

Just over 5.3k in total, with the Ormond and North stands being about 90% full I would say we had less fans than Utd did!!

The silence was deafening.............

In the East stand there was more noise than normall, that was why i was surprised as how bad it looked on TV. I would think United had 3500+ which means only around 2000 home fans could be bothered to support their team in a last 16 scottish cup tie (I know money is tight but if it keeps going like this soon there will be no fans left)

I'm glad we are out.

Im not. The Scottish cup final is the one game iv not seen Saints play in and one day I hope to see it. Never mind wining the cup just being in the final will do me.:roll:

i must agree, don't think we have won yet in it :(

I think we beat Arbroath in it

We beat Forfar in this kit in the last round of the cup. Arbroath play in maroon so we wore the home kit for the league cup tie in August

Aye there was a couple of them in. Didn't see exactly what happened but think they noised up when they scored. One of them promptly got his pus rapped.

There were 2 United fans who went mental as they scored, were mouthing off and then had a go at a few saints fans. Someone from the back of the east stand then launched a cup of tea/coffee in the direction of the United fans and hit one of them on the back of the head. The police moved in and spent all their time in the bottom area so the tea thrower who has hit the target more times than that Donkey Sheridan got away with it.

There is talk of this on Dundee United Mad where they claim they were told the away ends were full

I thought Dubbery did ok with everything in the air, he's just crap when putting in a standing tackle and got rounded every time. Might have alot to do with Conway having a cracking game.

He was a great threat at corners and will score more goals for us than Sheridan

Great game, great atmosphere and United were scintillating in the second quarter of the game. We deserved to lose. Nevertheless, the players mostly played well and we were denied a penalty early on.

Duberry has something about him, though was slightly disappointing on the deck at times.

Sheridan should never feature for us again. Bring back Jacko. MacDonald and Swankie are being treated like dung.

Yup for once I agree with you. Swankie must be shit if he gets a game ahead of him.:roll: At best Sheridan and Swankie are first division players

Edited by Real Madrid