#34 - Saints 1-0 Aberdeen - 16/03/10 - SPL

I firmly believe that Del has now has achieved his target of saftey and to me his blooding of young Renolds is a sign of this. brought on at the right time in a game we were on top and we will see a lot more of youngsters getting a chance as we now push to gain enough points to secure places above Hamilton, St.Mirren, Kilmarnock and maybe even a wee top six push!!
I would be starting May or Reynolds with Kenny at Celtic Park on Saturday.

Defo no Kenny on his own. We will be struggling for fire power if Savo is injured.

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

we deserved the win, great team effort smith nothing realy to do but clean sheet yipee back 4 EMENSE midfield brilliant doc won everything and cillian great goal but should have played earlier balls but hayho 3 points clean sheet we are on a roll

BRING ON CELTIC

Edited by scotty gordon

Defo no Kenny on his own. We will be struggling for fire power if Savo is injured.

You're getting a bit carried away. None of them are ready to start. The best one hasn't started for us in an SFL1 game yet alone featured in the SPL. Liam and Doc up front.

Went for a walk into no-man's land when Mackay almost slipped up and flapped hopelessly at a cross late in the second half. He is a liability at present.

Blah blah blah! Keepers make mistakes. Just like mooner misplaces passes, Deuchar misses headers and Dave MacKay(rarely) misses tackles. Its the nature of the beast! You cant judge someone on mistakes rather than ability!

Barthez made at least one mistake each match at Man utd, did he get dropped, no! Bosnich made numerous high profile mistakes through his career, still regarded as one of the premierships best keepers.

I'd take Boruc in a heartbeat but we all know about his calamitous behaviour!

SMIDDY FOR SCOTLAND! :wink:

Edited by R.B.B:- Adz

Getting a bit carried away, no? Aberdeen are woeful, that game was a point at least, the two extra being a bonus, of course.

Blah blah blah! Keepers make mistakes. Just like mooner misplaces passes, Deuchar misses headers and Dave MacKay(rarely) misses tackles. Its the nature of the beast! You cant judge someone on mistakes rather than ability!

Barthez made at least one mistake each match at Man utd, did he get dropped, no! Bosnich made numerous high profile mistakes through his career, still regarded as one of the premierships best keepers.

I'd take Boruc in a heartbeat but we all know about his calamitous behaviour!

SMIDDY FOR SCOTLAND! :wink:

You must be joking. He's an absolute liability. His inability to stay in his 6-yard box is costing us goals, left right and centre.

I dont think we will see any of them starting games at this stage, 20 minutes at the end perhaps and maybe a start or 2 in the last couple of games

How many did he cost us tonight???

How many goals have we conceeded in the last 5 games?

4, 3 of which can be directly blamed on Smith.

Saints (1) v Aberdeen (0)

Falkirk (1) v Saints (2) (Smith leaves area needlessly, concedes free kick, fails to catch or clear ball, Falkirk score)

Saints (1) v Motherwell (2)

Smith leaves 6-yard box, goes to ground, misses ball and player, fails to recover, Motherwell score. Second goal, poor positioning.

Hibernian (1) v Saints (1)

Smith goes to ground, takes out oncoming player, concedes penalty.

Saints (5) v Hibernian (1)

Granted, not entirely Smith's fault.

4, 3 of which can be directly blamed on Smith.

Saints (1) v Aberdeen (0)

Falkirk (1) v Saints (2) (Smith leaves area needlessly, concedes free kick, fails to catch or clear ball, Falkirk score)

Saints (1) v Motherwell (2)

Smith leaves 6-yard box, goes to ground, misses ball and player, fails to recover, Motherwell score. Second goal, poor positioning.

Hibernian (1) v Saints (1)

Smith goes to ground, takes out oncoming player, concedes penalty.

Saints (5) v Hibernian (1)

Granted, not entirely Smith's fault.

You forgot to answer my first question :wink:

I'll give you first goal v Motherwell and grudgingly the goal v Falkirk (on a better pitch the ball would have travelled a lot further a lot quicker and smith would have rightly swept up behind a hopeless punt from Duberry!

Thats two mistakes in 21 games! Thats not bad stats to me! Weigh his mistakes per game against his vital saves per game and you've got yourself an average SPL goalkeeper which in our current position, keeps me happy anyway!

Just woke up and realised that last night was no dream!

We were excellent, hardest SPL MOM this year, some flashes of terrific play, hard-working, players playing though the pain barrier and a manager that got his tactics (not his slection) and subbies absolutely spot on. What a brilliant night. Thank you everyone.

Special mention to the stand-in physio, what a brilliant improvement; 'mon the burds.

Just woke up and realised that last night was no dream!

We were excellent, hardest SPL MOM this year, some flashes of terrific play, hard-working, players playing though the pain barrier and a manager that got his tactics (not his slection) and subbies absolutely spot on. What a brilliant night. Thank you everyone.

Special mention to the stand-in physio, what a brilliant improvement; 'mon the burds.

Bit early to be on the drugs is it not??

You're getting a bit carried away. None of them are ready to start. The best one hasn't started for us in an SFL1 game yet alone featured in the SPL. Liam and Doc up front.
Perhaps. Being realistic we are not going to get anything on Saturday. Give one of the young lads a really good run out, nothing to lose. Back to full strength again for the Falkirk Game on the Tuesday.

Any word on Savo?

Bit early to be on the drugs is it not??

Perhaps. Being realistic we are not going to get anything on Saturday. Give one of the young lads a really good run out, nothing to lose. Back to full strength again for the Falkirk Game on the Tuesday.

Any word on Savo?

Massive difference between starting and being sub. The pressure of starting is huge. They both need to finish their education.

Reynolds is particularly frustrating. He needs to run to that penalty spot more often and concentrate on finishing. The rest of his game is very good. May simply needs matches. No failings that I can see. Both have the ability to play for us and succeed.

Maybe a recall for Jacko from Arbroath in time for Saturday?

Jackson hasn't played in Arbroath's last couple of matches and going by McInnes' post-match comments last night, he's injured again. Hopefully not seriously.

Anyway, at half-time I wasn't convinced we fully merited a lead - not that Aberdeen should have been ahead or anything like that - as I didn't think we'd really got into gear. No doubt over the ninety minutes that we deserved the victory thought and it's nice to keep our third clean sheet in our last six home matches. I can't remember if I actually made the post in the end but I looked at our defensive record the other night and the damage has been done against the five teams that look a cut above the rest, our record against the teams around us isn't so bad and taking out the match where we conceded four goals against Celtic when we were down to ten men, we've only conceded six goals in our last eight home matches, which is never going to be a problem if we continue to score as freely as we have been doing. Aberdeen had one break in the first half where Paton struck past and then a kitchen sink mentality towards the end but that apart I didn't think we looked like conceding, whilst at the other end Langfield had to make two decent stops to prevent us grabbing another couple. Maybe not vintage but, as I said, a deserved victory.

Thought Gary Irvine gained some confidence after an unfortunately predictable nervous start and Duberry was the usual rock but Grainger and Mackay were the picks for me. Grainger has reacted really well to being dropped last month whilst Mackay is just having an outstanding season. Every single time he went in for a challenge last night he seemed to come away in possession of the ball and then looked to play a pass. McInnes must be wishing he could clone him as he's our best right back and is staking a good claim for being our best centre back as well. Deuchar worked his arse off up front like usual and Millar was more like his old self.

All the more remarkable is the fact we were without ten players last night according to McInnes (Rutkiewicz, McCaffrey, Hardie, Milne, MacDonald, Gartland, Davidson, Samuel, Anderson and Jackson) and there's no way we should be competing at this level with that sort of injury list. The manager gave a home debut to 17-year-old Stephen Reynolds as he and the even young Stevie May were the only striking options available to the manager after Deuchar and Sheridan. Saturday could well pose a problem for us now though with Sheridan ineligible and Moon likely out for the season. As great as Deuchar has been in recent weeks, asking him to plough a lone furrow at Celtic Park isn't a prospect I think anyone relishes.

It was really vital to win last night before really starting to think about the top six but we'll lose at the weekend, so are already looking for Hibs to do us a favour and beat Hearts. If the Jambos win then I think it'll be a long shot for us with Rangers still to visit Perth as a game in hand.

Great performance down to the last man (even the Tannoy Man sneaking in that extra wee bit at the end of half time :wink:)

Good show from Smith when he might have suffered from Saturday - shows how strong he is.

Doc was immense again, hardest working guy every week and continues to give so much more than many realise, but in all an great shift by every man in the team last night.

Good game to watch although a bit tense at the end, well done Saints.