Neil McFarlane

Homer Jay

Winter is no loss, he was generally pish for us bar a good debut and not too bad a subby appearance last week.

That's true, I though Jamie made an impressive start and was the defensive midfielder we were looking for who allowed the Sheridan, Sheerin etc to go and do their stuff while he mopped up. He also gave cover when James went up field (one of our attacking options) but for some reason he slowly drifted out of things.

Neil MacFarlane would still be in the Hearts team if it wasn't for their influx of signings. :) 100% committed type of player. Normally Saints keep things very close to their chest so this must have progressed a bit down the line.

Macfarlane would be an excellent signing for us. Although the majority of hearts fans i know hated the guy when he was in their team, seemed to be too inconsistant. But you know what the hearts fans are like.....they can't help but moan about players!

Macfarlane would be an excellent signing for us. Although the majority of hearts fans i know hated the guy when he was in their team, seemed to be too inconsistant. But you know what the hearts fans are like.....they can't help but moan about players!

....just like a considerable number of McD blue seat east standers!

:cry::oops:

'The other guy' isnt the same player that graced McD. If he was he would have landed a club above struggling Stockports level and would not have been freed by Aberdeen.

When I worked with some Stockport supporters and told them about Dannys Perth days they couldnt believe I was talking about the same guy. I didnt actually see him at County by then very few folk did!

Id much rather keep the great memories I have of him rather than see a shadow of that player tarnish his great reputation.

PS - Derby. You just cant help wonder where hed be now if the had signed!

PS - Derby. You just cant help wonder where hed be now if the had signed!

I was thinking about that the other day as well, but to be honest I don't think it would have made that much difference - he would have gone to Derby, struggled to get a game, and probably ended up moving to one of the smaller English clubs (maybe someone just like Stockport?) anyway. His career path from there probably wouldn't be that different - the only major difference would be that he'd be much wealthier now!

As for him not being the same player that left us - that may be true, but at the same time I think returning here, and the buzz it would create, would give him the sort of boost he might just need to recapture some form. I still think it would a worthwhile move for Saints at the moment.

I was thinking about that the other day as well, but to be honest I don't think it would have made that much difference - he would have gone to Derby, struggled to get a game, and probably ended up moving to one of the smaller English clubs (maybe someone just like Stockport?) anyway. His career path from there probably wouldn't be that different - the only major difference would be that he'd be much wealthier now!

I thought that his injury problems started after the Derby offer so that if he had gone he may well have continued to progress and become an established top level player. Even if he didnt make it as a Premiership regular he would have been Championship level im sure. Of course its not that long since Stockport were in that league so maybe he could have been there but in a more positive fashion!

As for him not being the same player that left us - that may be true, but at the same time I think returning here, and the buzz it would create, would give him the sort of boost he might just need to recapture some form. I still think it would a worthwhile move for Saints at the moment

Hmmm..I know where you are coming from BH but I just feel that its not confidence thats holding him back, its his futness, although admittedly im not a doctor!

To me, having a settled team most weeks is crucial for success and no matter how good someone is when they are fit, if a player is in for 3 weeks, out for 5, then is too disruptive.

It also doesnt help the nerves if you are wincing everytime they are involved in a tackle!

I thought that his injury problems started after the Derby offer so that if he had gone he may well have continued to progress and become an established top level player. Even if he didnt make it as a Premiership regular he would have been Championship level im sure. Of course its not that long since Stockport were in that league so maybe he could have been there but in a more positive fashion!

Possibly, but who's to say he wouldn't have had his injury problems regardless? And whether or not he'd ever truly have been as good as you're suggesting is something I'm quite sceptical about. Remember, when he did eventually leave Saints he wasn't even getting a regular game for us - he was here during our best ever spell, but how many of us would include him in our starting XI from that period? I know I certainly wouldn't. I'm sure that when he moved to United, he cited one of the reasons for the decision being that he couldn't get a game for Saints in his favoured position.

I had the pleasure of seeing most of Hearts' UEFA Cup run at Murrayfield a couple of years ago. MacFarlane was usually booed ONTO the pitch.

On top of that, I always fear for these players who don't quite make it in a reasonably big team - but who would supposedly be great 'down a level'. It isn't often the case.

In his defence, the fans of all the clubs he's played for at this level (Airdrie, Clyde, Queen's Park) are full of praise for him and say they would take him back in a minute.

This level is not exactly a great plane, is it? Furthermore he has had more clubs than Colin Motgomerie, well nearly.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
I had the pleasure of seeing most of Hearts' UEFA Cup run at Murrayfield a couple of years ago. MacFarlane was usually booed ONTO the pitch.

On top of that, I always fear for these players who don't quite make it in a reasonably big team - but who would supposedly be great 'down a level'. It isn't often the case.

remember allan Preston! same shit ,turned out good for us.

Evening Times says that MacFarlane has passed a medical at Firhill but Saints, Dundee, Livi and Queens are all chasing him as well.

Why do we need another central defender? We are well covered there with Capt. Kev, Chalky, Ruti and Ando. Annie Lawrie and Gunther can also play there if needs be.

I put it to you that this rumour is in fact guff. Plus, he's got a Sir Bobby Charlton hairstyle, we can't possibly sign him...

Herts

Like Chuck says, he's a holding midfielder so any deal could hinge on the outcome of the McInnes and Mensing decisions. If both leave then I think MacFarlane, if fit, would be a good signing and we'd surely stand a good chance of getting him, although I imagine the most important thing for him is getting a regular game since he's played so little in recent years.