Summer Transfer Rumour Thread

Guest Bertrand

Couldn't agree more. Would much rather have a fit Savo, Peaso or Jacko instead of him any day.

Savo; i'm not so sure about anymore, the other 2 I'll give you.

You cannot argue with Sheridan's strike rate, which is probably only behind Sammy & Peaso this season. People forget he is still only 21 or therabouts. Ok he isn't great in the air but I doubt Del thinks of him as a target man (something everyone seems to think he is just because he is tall!), hence the reason his partnership with Deuchar does actually work well.

There is likley to be a major turn around in the Saints squad during the Summer although the management team are keen to keep that to a minimim. We have 14 players out of contract in the summer and of those probably at least half will be away. They are:

Main

McLean

Sheerin

Samuel (club do want to keep him but there is interest from other clubs)

Irvine

Swankie

Those they would like to keep are

Morais

Peaso

Duberry

Deucahr

Gartland (would not be my choice I must admit)

Als0 not sure on the position with Jacko, Hardie and Anderson. The latter wants more first team football.

Als0 currently talking to Mackay about a contract extension

Assuming we resign all those that we want realistic signing targets are

Goalkeeper (one from Hibs perhaps but not MAKALAMITY) Bell or Combe at Kilmarnock

Sheridan (who they do want to keep)

Stevenson at Hibs

McPake at Coventry (Saints did enquire during the transfer window but he was playing regularly then. Wages would be a huge issue to overcome)

Calum Woods at Dunfermline one year to go on contract but Pars are tight for cash)

Tyrone Kirk if rumours of coming on trial are correct

McGowan at Celtic perhaps

Halliday at Livingston

I notice all the talk about Harris of QOS. Sorry but not a fan and for a defender I think he lacks the physique for the SPL I much prefer Grainger who is tried and tested. A few wobbly moments I admit but on the whole reliable , physical and has had a good season.

So running about a lot and a touch like a carthorse is more important than balance,touch and scoring for a centre forward then?Sheridan is way ahead of Deuchar in all aspects of the game,and he's got time on his hands to improve,and make a really good career in the game,Deuchs career should be in medicine 'cause he aint quality enough for us to be improving next season.

Well I'm prepared to agree to disagree. As I said I think he's had a great second half to the season and without his consistency since January we'd have really struggled to play the tactics we have. Wins so much in the air and holds the balll up really well. He's not had it particularly easy from defences or referees and I think he's done a cracking job!

I also think it was said very well earlier, if we could get someone who ticks ALL the boxes within our pay structure you've gotta go for them but realistically we cant compete with other wealthier clubs who are looking for the same thing. We're not likely to be a club who can get these players and hang onto them for long!

just the usual suspects tho i dont think we could afford many of the following

gk-cerny,ruddy,tuffey,pernis

df-harris, hanlon, malone,,webster,stevenson

mf-flynn.o'brien,forbes,harkins,halliday,fyvie,swanson,mensing,

fw-sheridan,kyle,griffiths,rooney,pawlett(any at utd)

ok being more realistic out of this lot

gk-tuffey

df-harris, hanlon, malone,stevenson

mf-flynn, halliday,

fw-sheridan, rooney

interested what you think of flynn Radford. if falkirk go down we could have a good chance of signing him (not sure about his contract situatiion). do you think he'd be a good addition to th squad?

im sure i read somewhere birmingham were after cerny with a price tag of 1million, dont know if its true or not.

i quite liked hanlon but i doubt he would want to leave hibs for us.

mcgowan is a good wee player and i reckon he could do well for himself.

I would like us to sign up the following lads for next season-Irvine, Morais, Duberry (1yr), Deuchar, Gartland and Jacko (1yr). Sammy is worth a new deal, but I don't reckon he will be with us next year.

Undecided on Peaso. He obviously has the ability, but lets be honest it would be another season of minimal appearances and a few goals. I don't know if a club of our size can justify paying a wage for a player that will regularly be injured.

Anderson is a reliable squad player and given the chance of regular football could become a very good player, but I don't think Del will ever have him as a regular starting XI player. With this in mind I'b be willing to let him go if we could bring in a good quality centre-back.

With the players moving on in mind I'd like to see us bring in-

-1/2 goalkeepers

-A central Defender if Anderson moved on

-A winger

-If Sammy, Sheridan and Peaso were to move on I would like to see us bring in atleast two strikers.

-On a personal note I wouldn't be against signing a new left-back if there was a good one available. I have my doubts about Grainger, although I think he has been on form of late.

McPake at Coventry is a quality centre-back. Would love to bring him in. I always thought he was a better player than MacKay and we see how good he has done this season. I suspect his wages would be a massive stumbling block.

Halliday at Livingston is also worth a look. I haven't seen much of him. He is getting rave reviews, but whether he could handle SPL football is debateable.

Really liked the lad Adam Hammill that was on-loan at Pars a few years back, but he is now at Barnsley and getting a regular game. A winger in his mould would be nice.

I like Flynn at Falkirk, but can't say he is a better player than Craig.

With the players moving on in mind I'd like to see us bring in-

-A winger

Really liked the lad Adam Hammill that was on-loan at Pars a few years back, but he is now at Barnsley and getting a regular game. A winger in his mould would be nice.

I like Flynn at Falkirk, but can't say he is a better player than Craig.

Luke Holden and Tyrone Kirk are similar in style but are both far superior to Adam Hammill and Ryan Flynn. Morais will be offered a new contract but it wont be anything earth-shattering and he has in fact been spared because of his ability to play a number of roles and Del believes strongly in versatile players, its drilled into new managers and coaches.

Luke Holden and Tyrone Kirk are similar in style but are both far superior to Adam Hammill and Ryan Flynn. Morais will be offered a new contract but it wont be anything earth-shattering and he has in fact been spared because of his ability to play a number of roles and Del believes strongly in versatile players, its drilled into new managers and coaches.

Where is Luke Holden from?

Where is Luke Holden from?

Rhyls in Wles, but currently he has been on loan to Charlton and at the moment Wrexham.

His proposed movew to Coventry fell through in January, which suggests he has championship potential, which is the same if not better than the SPL.

Luke Holden and Tyrone Kirk are similar in style but are both far superior to Adam Hammill and Ryan Flynn.

You'll excuse me for being a bit sceptical with this one. A couple of lads playing for a bunch of sheep farmers better than two guys schooled at Liverpool and now playing in The Championship and the SPL respectively? Have you seen much of them in action in any case? Can't say Rhyl feature much on Sky Sports.

There is likley to be a major turn around in the Saints squad during the Summer although the management team are keen to keep that to a minimim. We have 14 players out of contract in the summer and of those probably at least half will be away. They are:

Main

McLean

Sheerin

Samuel (club do want to keep him but there is interest from other clubs)

Irvine

Swankie

Those they would like to keep are

Morais

Peaso

Duberry

Deucahr

Gartland (would not be my choice I must admit)

Als0 not sure on the position with Jacko, Hardie and Anderson. The latter wants more first team football.

Als0 currently talking to Mackay about a contract extension

Assuming we resign all those that we want realistic signing targets are

Goalkeeper (one from Hibs perhaps but not MAKALAMITY) Bell or Combe at Kilmarnock

Sheridan (who they do want to keep)

Stevenson at Hibs

McPake at Coventry (Saints did enquire during the transfer window but he was playing regularly then. Wages would be a huge issue to overcome)

Calum Woods at Dunfermline one year to go on contract but Pars are tight for cash)

Tyrone Kirk if rumours of coming on trial are correct

McGowan at Celtic perhaps

Halliday at Livingston

I notice all the talk about Harris of QOS. Sorry but not a fan and for a defender I think he lacks the physique for the SPL I much prefer Grainger who is tried and tested. A few wobbly moments I admit but on the whole reliable , physical and has had a good season.

Cheers, that's a really interesting post. Nothing really too surprising although it's hard to forget how good Irvine was at the tail end of last season. He's clearly not come close to that form this term but he hasn't just become a bad player overnight.

Like some of the names you've mentioned as well.

Kenny Deuchar offered a new one-year contract according to the Daily Express. Imagine now we're safe, McInnes will start making his moves and he'll have a clearer idea of his budget.

Year contracts - and even shorter - seems a very likley scenario now, Rads.

Players with potential to move to say Championship like Graeme Dorrans, Charlie Adam, Chris Burket et al will want contracts with break points for maximum freedom of movement. If players are not as confidentof a move and are not seen as long-term assets then the clubs will want maximum flexibility.

I think a one-year deal for KD is bang-on and I hope he continues to improve at SPL level.

Kenny Deuchar offered a new one-year contract according to the Daily Express. Imagine now we're safe, McInnes will start making his moves and he'll have a clearer idea of his budget.

You'd think that you could probably add the list of yahoosir's to Doc and you'll have the main offers. If Duberry is heading back down south, then Ando would surely be in line for more first team opportunities, especially given his performances since he has come back into the team, his versatility across the back line and the injuries picked up by Ruti in the last couple of years (who I would look at possibly losing from the squad).

Goalkeeper wise - Alan Combe mentioned is mid-30's so surely would be looking for first team football (may I possibly say too old to come in and be expected to challenge Smith?). If Killie went down then Cammy Bell would be a great shout, however could Mark Brown (may be out of contract with Celtic at end of season) be a potential shout?

Elsewhere - plundering the relgated side from SPL/not promoted sides from SFL would work well. Scobbie of Falkirk is a good player who would be affordable for us, Woods at Dunfermline was mentioned earlier, I also like Martin Scott of County (though he may have picked up a bit more value following his performance at the weekend) but he is possibly a bit too similar to Davidson and Millar to be brought in.