Your English team and WHY?

Edstar101

Considering the amount of abuse we give the glory grabbing non- Glasgie Old Firm fans, it never ceases to surprise me the number of people in Scotland who call themselves Man U/Chelsea fans (with the incorporated gloating when winning)

I like watching the Prem down South but wouldn't affiliate myself in such a manner to any of them. In fact, many years ago my mates and I 'adopted' a then Div 4 team of our choice- I chose Bury as for some reason at the time I always had them on my fixed odds coupon. I have over the years been to many Bury games

I am interested in what teams outside the usual suspects folk on here follow and how the glory grabbers justify their choice

Tranmere Saint- no need to post!:)

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I watch the EPL and keep an eye on other scores. I like to see where/how Ex-Saints are playing but thats where it ends. I really struggle to understand how anyone can follow a team from another country. For me, its all or nothing.....

Unless you have spent time in the area, or there is a family history there, then sorry I just dont get it.

West Ham Utd, mainly cos of Raymond Stewart, one of the first big transfers I can remember from Utd, plus they always play good football (they won the world cup! :wink:)

Wet Spam???? theres no accounting for taste.

I would have thought that you would be following Reading being that the closest that you have had to a decent striker now plays for Reading..

BTW thanks for Hunty :laugh:

Like saintee4life my English team is Utd. Goes back to primary school days in the early 70s - my pal was a Utd fan so i took them for my English team too. Also because they had Jim Holton - "Six foot 2, eyes of blue, Big Jim Holton's after you" and a winger called Willie Morgan who was probably pretty average in reality but in my mind was a God for some reason. I also remember when I was in the Army and Fergie first went there telling the English Utd fans that he would come good when they wanted rid of him. Best mate from Army days is also a massive Red.

But folk on here will probably say I'm just a glory hunter........

Edited by newyear'sday97
Cos I missed a word

Wet Spam???? theres no accounting for taste.

I would have thought that you would be following Reading being that the closest that you have had to a decent striker now plays for Reading..

BTW thanks for Hunty :laugh:

West Ham have produced some wonderful teams and players over the years, so have Reading...................................aye right:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Is Noel Hunt doing well down there? I thought he was long term injured, anyway Goodwillie will cost a wee bit more than wee Noel, as he is a big bit better!

West Ham have produced some wonderful teams and players over the years, so have Reading...................................aye right:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Is Noel Hunt doing well down there? I thought he was long term injured, anyway Goodwillie will cost a wee bit more than wee Noel, as he is a big bit better!

Hunty is back ... hes finding his match fitness.. when he does I expect him to be knocking them in.

As for player produced by Reading I would say Neil Webb and Kerry Dixon were 2 good players from the past. Simon Cox is coming on quite well also give it a few years and you will be seeing a lot from Gylfi Siguardsson

If Saints were to draw Tranmere is a premlininary Uefa Cup Tie, which end would you sit and why?

I suspect Kevin and Colin's choice might differ from yours :D

Probably end up with spikes up my bum from sitting on the fence:laugh:

Would probably lean towards Saints as I have only averaged 1 Tranmere game a season for the last 28 seasons.

It was great supporting both teams when we played them many moons ago in a pre-season friendly after Tranmere had played Falkirk a couple of days earlier.

I follow Blackburn and Middlesbrough. Football depresses me; St Johnstone, Blackburn, Middlesbrough and Scotland. :cry:

The wife is from Middlesbrough but is a Blackburn fan. We try to make it down for a few Rovers games a season and when we go to Boro I sometimes nip down the Riverside and take in a match if they are at home.

Neither team are particulary attractive to watch though so its more out of habbit than anything else. I was at Boro's first game of the season (and used to follow Rovers in the Championship) and the standard in the Championship is poor. I've always thought watching a lower end Premiership team that the English league isn't all they make it out to be. We know the SPL is rubbish but at least the SPL you get the odd blood and thunder game.

Craven Cottage is without doubt the best stadium in the world

Probably the best football ground I've been to in terms of atmosphere, attitude, traditional feel and of course pint at half time by the Thames.. cracking place.

My English team is Man United, started following them as a bairn when Brian McClair was banging in the goals. I've continued my support of them to make it a bit more interesting watching the BPL, especially with my old man being a Chelsea man.

Over the last few years I've perhaps started following them closer due to Darren Fletcher. He's been my hero since he came on to score a winner against Lithuania in 2003, my first international and first trip to the national stadium. I liked to see United doing well but follow Fletcher with great interest