auld shops

Wish i was Joe McGurn

Plastic beef tomatoes.....I remember them well.

Great for food fights. You could squirt them on folks nearby, and also chuck them like a grenade at longer range victims. They used to make a right mess when they burst, like a Tarantino movie set....Also if ye unscrewed the tops on the ones on all the other tables, the sauce would aw coup oot on the geezers hamburger. Brilliant fun!

Found this in a book:

2qspaow.jpg

That's john.w standing outside. :wink:

According to the book you can still see the fixings for the clock, don't know if that's still the case, will have a look this afternoon.

Aye I had just got a new suit, cheeky fekker.

The address says 11 and 13, 11 wis the number on oor close which would be to the last guy on the left, left hand side.

That shop would have the location off the bank then wimpy burgers

I recall being in the Wimpy one Saturday with a crowd of bevvied mates. One of the guys done a runner to avoid paying, and was nearly knocked out when he ran into the swing door.

The staff had spotted him on the way in, and remembered he had previous, so they locked the door as we came in :laugh:

They never barred him, just charged him what he was due. Doubt if that would happen nowadays.

Here's how it is today:

2j5yl8k.jpg

On the full size photo, you can still see the holes where the clock was fixed.

Crackin photo Ziggy brings a wee tear to the eyes, the attic windows up above where you say the marks are is where I lived from the age off seven till I was twenty two, left to get married. Then the folks moved down to the second floor a wee while later.:sad: Sorry to get off topic lads but a lot of memories

When did the Wimpy close? I can vaguely mind being in it but don't think it was there after about 75/76?

Anyone remember Templeton's cafeteria above their shop down where Argos is in the High Street.

I remember Templetons Cafe! There was an entrance towards the back of the shop, and there was a side door in the Kirkgate. It was a reasonable size of cafe and it was a treat to be taken to a cafe.

Edited by Carron
a vodka and coke was waiting for me!

Anyone remember when there wis Cairds, and a bike shop wis it Richards before they moved to George St, Mc Donahough the butchers Valentines mens shop and Saxone shoes in the High St. A boy that wis a year ahead of me at the Shands school served his time wie the butchers and I think he eventually took over the butchers across from the Abbotsford?

I can remember all of them except the butchers. There wis another men's shop nearby tae, forget its name though (not Burtons, maybe started with P)
The butchers wis a small narrow shop. The Fifty Bob tailors wis across the street corner off the Meal Vennel

Anyone remember when there wis Cairds, and a bike shop wis it Richards before they moved to George St, Mc Donahough the butchers Valentines mens shop and Saxone shoes in the High St. A boy that wis a year ahead of me at the Shands school served his time wie the butchers and I think he eventually took over the butchers across from the Abbotsford?

I remember Cairds, think I got my school uniforms from there and sometimes from the Co-op dept. store in Scott St.

When did the Wimpy close? I can vaguely mind being in it but don't think it was there after about 75/76?

Anyone remember Templeton's cafeteria above their shop down where Argos is in the High Street.

I know The Clash stopped there on their way to a gig in Aberdeen late 1977 or early 1978 but Wimpy must have closed soon after

Templetons then turned in to Pizzaland eh ??

Mrs. says Abbotsford was a co-op with butchers next door and one across the road as you describe . Also butchers where Mannions corner shop is/was.

cairds in the high st.- waited for it opening boxing day for their Sales.

Only once a year sales then, not all year round like now.

Butchers across from the Abbotsford is a ground floor flat now.

Butchers across from the Abbotsford is a ground floor flat now.

Never knew there was a butchers here. Live in the block down and have always thought the windows on this flat look out of place.

When did it change and has anyone got a photo of it?