MEMORIES OF PERTH 1960s

PETER/BILL

I was aware of a lot of these places but I've never seen North Goods Station, Central Motors or The Pavilion before.

Central Motors must be where the Clydesdale Bank is now but where were the North Goods Station and The Pavilion? What's in those sites now?

--------------------------------

The North Goods station (I think) was at the end of Jeanfield road after the fire station; before the ugly shoppin centre was built.

North goods station

canmore_image_sc_05_524974_zpsc42df4f6.j

my dad was in charge here in late 60's early 70's.  His office was behind the double windows to the left of the main door.

He was also Station Master at Perth for many years with an office on platform 4 close to what used to be the porters howf. - the longest domestic passenger platform on the UK rail network.   Nice photo chips

Have you any of the old Fechney Buildings on the Glasgow Road / Spens Crescent.    

my dad was in charge here in late 60's early 70's.  His office was behind the double windows to the left of the main door.

He was also Station Master at Perth for many years with an office on platform 4 close to what used to be the porters howf. - the longest domestic passenger platform on the UK rail network.   Nice photo chips

Bibbys yard was at side if its the Building I am thinking off

The Pavilion

27907_464869080223025_693031676_n_zps660

Sunday morning after a good night out, pick up the News of the World from the wee paper kiosk at the side off the Pivvie, then into the pivvie cooked breakfast big mug off tea, these were the days, then off to the South Inch meet the letham crowd big kick about, then up to the rendezvous cafe for a good laugh with the owners Tony & Margaret

Im still going through my selections but i will be sure to post if i come across any of the buildings.

I have a big selection of old school pictures Kinnoull ,Caley rd,Letham etc dating from around 50/60's  So i would like to post any up with the hope that there may be one or two posters on here in them,if you can let me know what school and year i'll give it a bash and keep them to this thread.Chances are slim but worth a punt.

Apart from school photos i think i have exhausted the 60's era,so if anyone is interested i still have a big selection i could post on the "Old Perth" thread,these photos date from late 1800's to 1980's

===============

The Meal vennel .................On the left you can just see the metal railings of the old Central District school.

That was the time when there was Northern , Central and Southern District schools.

On the right was a very small electrical/tv shop.

Remember my Pop taking me in there to watch (black & white tv) 1954 World Cup final between West Germany and Hungary . Germany won 3-2.

Hungary had a great team then including Ferenc Puskas who went on to play for Real Madrid.

Hungary had already beaten Germany 8-3 in the group stages.

puskas, although unfit was selected for the final.

Hungary were 1st Non UK team to beat England at Wembley 6-3.

Also defeated them 7-1 in Budapest .

Heres another couple of views of it ........(i forgot about them soz chunder)

canmore_image_sc_06_692140_zps2d78b183.j

I can remember that the main kitchen was like something from upstairs, downstairs.  You could climb inside the huge range, and scale the chimney all the way to the roof.

I spent a couple of summers running wild in this place.

The final section of the Friarton bridge (1979)

400140_464918340238955_1723930722_n_zps9

When my old dear moved into the top of the Market St flats, you got a great view of the ends of the bridge getting closer and closer.

We used to sit at breakfast and watch the progress of the bridge and the GA building.

Wish I had the sense to take a few photo's.

The auld hoose in the Brahan Woods, that's a belter Chips. I used to play there as a boy, I mind one of the Taylors (Billy or Chug) falling through a ceiling. Never thought I'd lay eyes on it again, what a brilliant surprise.

The place was a deathtrap.  I can remember my next door neighbour screaming at me to come back, when we were running through the house.  He stood on a 4" nail and was pinned to the floor.  Next day he ripped his hand open, when we were using the guttering to pass from one upstair room to the next.

I can also remember jokingly, telling a mate to jump out of the window if we were caught during a game.  He did, forgetting that we were upstairs in the stables.  Damned near broke his leg on the cobbles.

We had rules for the fights as well.  If you were on the ground, you were allowed to throw slates, if you were on the roof, you could only chuck wood or plaster.  Slates skimming past your ear is a pretty scary thought, but who cares when your 10 or 11.

We had a rare old time under the floors and in the cellars as well.  What a place, my old dear would have had a fit if she knew what we got up to.

BB Bingo!!!

12758_464871623556104_477571450_n_zps8a5

----------------------------------

I remember that as a cinema too because that's where the kids went to the GB Cub before it moved up to the Odeon Pirate films were high on demand which upset Davie Gannon because we obviously had to re-enact them in the boating pond.