Bryn Halliwell

perthsaint1884

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Closing in on him according to Tay FM. Should be in the side to face Stirling tomorrow.

Strange one , from what I've seen over the past few seasons he's no better than Cuthbert in so much as they both have their outstanding moments but can also sell the jerseys ! :?

A bit like every 'keeper that's played at this level in the last five years. I've not seen one 'keeper at this level who doesn't make mistakes. Who can forget Chris Smith throwing it in his own net against Hamilton, or Tony Bullock's "effort" to keep the ball out against Dundee! :lol:

We won't mention Hinchcliffe when faced with Moutinho! :lol:

Or Kelvin Jack last season :roll::lol::twisted:

A bit like every 'keeper that's played at this level in the last five years. I've not seen one 'keeper at this level who doesn't make mistakes. Who can forget Chris Smith throwing it in his own net against Hamilton, or Tony Bullock's "effort" to keep the ball out against Dundee! :lol:

Very true - let's face it, if there was an available keeper out there who had no mistakes on his record, he wouldn't be coming to the First Division. We have to be realistic in looking at what we can attract. But I don't think it's unrealistic to continue trying to find someone better than Cuthbert.

I thought mentioning other teams might be too much for Lee's brain to handle to stuck to the Midden's calamitous 'keepers! :lol:

I'll quite happily stick with our "calamitous keepers" for now , Hinchy and Bullock will be gone by the end-of-the-season anyway and Smith will go on to play for Scotland .

The point that went over your head was that by signing Halliwell you are not really strengthening your team as Cuthbert IMO is just as capable .It just looks as if Coyle wants "his man" between the sticks ! :wink:

A bad keeper loses points Radford & that is what Halliwell will.Why do you think he only played a handful of games for Dunfy & they had to bring the Rangers 4th choice keeper on loan & why they can`t get rid of him quick enough this season.

HE IS CRAP.

Out of his 12 appearances last season was Haliwell not involved in Dunfermline's 8-1 defeat to Celtic? :shock: ..... and their 4-0 defeat to Celtic? :shock: ...... and their 5-1 defeat to Rangers? :shock: Maybe they had a crap defence but McGregor's record there was better.

He was a decent keeper in a fairly negative Clyde team though.

I'm playing devil's advocat simce I don't know much about him really. If he joins the squad I will give him my full backing.

We took a few poundings from the Old Firm in our time, Ronnie, but we wouldn't blame Alan Main for them, would we?

I think he showed with Clyde that he's more than good enough to play at this level and he's still young with room to improve working with Jim McQueen.

I think this be one of the best bits of business Owen Coyle has done.

You might be right, you know what I'm like. :)

Alan Main was the best for 30 years. I would say he stopped gubbings more than took them on many occasions. Monaco away stands out.

Do Dunfermline not just have a horrendous record against the Old Firm? Whenever I've watched a Celtic/Rangers v Dunfermline, Dunfy have always taken a fair pounding. Anyone who plays on the fact that Halliwell played in games against the Old Firm when Dunfermliner recorded 4/5/6 goals against is a doom merchant willing something to be bad about this player. So there. :P

Halliwell is a decent keeper with a decent record in the First Division so I see no reason why we shouldn't sign him. People say he's crap cos he conceded a lot of goals against the OF last season, in what was a chance game for him. So the eight goals he conceded were entirely his fault :? Aside from him, the Dunfermline defence are superb :?

He may not be an outstanding keeper but name one keeper who is, and is available and prepared to play at this level :? Remember, fans of Carlisle didn't think much of Glennon, but most of us would've been quite happy for him to stay

Do Dunfermline not just have a horrendous record against the Old Firm? Whenever I've watched a Celtic/Rangers v Dunfermline, Dunfy have always taken a fair pounding. Anyone who plays on the fact that Halliwell played in games against the Old Firm when Dunfermliner recorded 4/5/6 goals against is a doom merchant willing something to be bad about this player. So there. :P

:)

Och No I'm always as optimistic as can be possible. Check my posts over the past years. I've even defended undefendable managers. :lol:

However I point out factual things now and again. You will notice that I left it open in the end but is was worth pointing out.

On the other hand you said it wasn't worth bothering about. So it's just about opinions with the facts at your disposal. It's what he does on the pitch that counts. I'll miss the first part of the season through travelling but I'll be interested to hear everyone's comments.

We all want Saints to be the best.

You're very consistent Radford , you talk a lot of guff on every forum :lol:

Even I've seen Cuthbert winning points for you fakes most notably at Love St last season :?.............. and you're already getting ready to blame Brooks Mileson for Owen's failure to win promotion next season ! :roll:

One good game against St Mirren in six years at the club does not a good 'keeper make.

Halliwell is a far superior 'keeper to Kevin Cuthbert, as will be highlighted when Coyle starts him against Clyde and KC is on the bench.

That's harsh, he's not "far superior".

He is better, there is no argument about that but don't disrespect Cuthbert just to points score. He is a good keeper who has done well when needed for this club over the past few years.

The St.Mirren game was a game where all Kevins ability was pushed to the maximum and luck played a little part that day but it shows what he's capable of and that is some really impressive goal keeping. I'm also sure it's not the only good game he has had in his time here.

I may be mistaken but in our first season down, did Kevin Cuthbert not record a few clean sheets, which had most First Division fans rating him quite highly by the end of the season, despite losing his place to Alan Main?

Main point is though, I agree that Bryn is better but not "far superior".

I think he is far superior though, just like Glennon was and just like, as proved over time after a shakey start, Allan McGregor was.

Has he done well when needed? He's been there to make up the numbers maybe but apart from the game at Love Street (and a game at Celtic Park we lost 3-0), I can't think of one good performance by him. Maybe someone else could point one out? Against Clyde last season, Glennon made a fantastic save from Eddie Malone in the last minute to win us two points, Cuthbert never does that. Already in pre-season he's been lobbed twice, something that he's been greatly critised for in the past. Who can forget that rainy day down at Ayr when Dougie Ramsey beat him from about 50 yards. :(

In our first season down, Cuthbert was a good young 'keeper, he was what you'd expect from a raw youngster, he hasn't improved since then though, if anything he's gone backwards. He used to be fantastic in one-on-one situations, now I struggle to recall the last time he made a save in that situation.

Sooner Bryn Halliwell is on board the better.

Just so I'm not being too harsh, KC still has time on his side and could yet turn into a good 'keeper, he's not good enough to play for us at the moment though.

Would you not put his supposed backward development down to a confidence problem though? On another thread you were gushing about Janczyks problem being a lack of confidence, and almost seeming to feel sorry for him and understanding of his lack of impact on the team now that you've realised the problem.

Why is it different for Cuthbert? Cuthbert probably has more reasons to lack confidence than Janczyk. He has been at this club for a long time and it would seem that he could play like he did at St.Mirren every week but would still lose his place to a keeper coming in. That's got to be a confidence blow for a player.

The difference in class between a keeper like Cuthbert and Halliwell, and Cuthbert and McGregor, and Cuthbert and Glennon isn't as big as you're making out. If Halliwell was injured and Cuthbert had to play, you wouldn't worry about it. Cuthbert is good enough to play for us, Halliwell is just a better option.

Not a far superior one, just better.

Cutbert is a decent keeper but I sometimes feel that although the goals he conceeds are not his fault, a better keeper would have probably pulled out a top save. Thats not saying I feel he has ever let us down or that I don't rate him. He has many good attributes (handling/one on ones/kicking).

I disagree that Glennon was any better though. Too many mistakes were creeping into his game and he was beginning to cost us goals. He had more presence than Cuthbert - which I feel made him look better but he was no more reliable.

McGregor was a better keeper though, but there is no shame in that and he is far above our level.

As for Halliwell, I will need to reserve judgement. Looked ok in our Div for Clyde - always capable. However for Dunfermline he was very poor. All of the 8 goals v Celtic he could have done better with. He looked very much a keeper short on confidence and for his position it's vital. Give him a chance at a new club, winning games regularly and he will likely be a good keeper.

You're very consistent Radford , you talk a lot of guff on every forum :lol:

Even I've seen Cuthbert winning points for you fakes most notably at Love St last season :?.............. and you're already getting ready to blame Brooks Mileson for Owen's failure to win promotion next season ! :roll:

I'm assuming you're a St Mirren fan, in which case your view of Cuthbert is bound to be skewed because he had an absolutely sensational performance against you last season. But he doesn't play like that every week. Those of us who see him play every week know that.

I think he's a decent keeper and certainly a superb option to have as back-up, but I've always maintained that we need someone better to be first choice. That said, he's probably the best keeper at one-on-ones I've ever seen, at any level, and it also has to be said that he rarely makes any glaring errors. But, like Broon, the main problem I have with him is that I always think a lot of the goals he lets in are saveable, and if we had even a slightly better keeper then that keeper would probably get to them. From what I've seen of Halliwell, he is a better keeper - probably the best we could attract at our current level, so I'll be delighted if he comes here.

Radford can you tell me how many times you have actually seen Halliwell play to have formed such an opinion that he is the bees knees - I am not saying that he isn't going to prove to be a good keeper for us, but he never did enough for him to have caught my eye when we played against him.

You have told one guy he cannot have an opinion on a player by having only seen him a couple of times, but I doubt if you have seen Halliwell more than 6 or 7 times in live action.

You are saying that the Dunfermline fans (is this them all or 1 that you happen to know) are saying how brilliant Halliwells attitude was while stuck on the bench as he wasn't good enough for the first team but my Dunfermline colleague from work reckons we would be getting a complete donkey - opinions of different fans which is what it is all about.

Kevins attitude has been very professional, but I can guarantee you his confidence has been shattered by the constant droppings he has had and the constant rumours of other keepers coming in to replace him.

As for Scrabble lacking in confidence but Dobbie being lazy I would love to know how you can tell the difference, I can only repeat wht I have been told time and again that Scrabble has a bloody awful attitude which apparently makes Dobbie look like a top pupil in the listening and learning stakes.

you saw Cuthbert's good game so that makes you an expert on him!

Just like you making your mind up after 3 games that Martin Hardie , that well known one-paced journeyman of the lower reaches of Scottish football was a "great" signing when he's clearly a dud ! :lol:

I actually hope you get Halliwell so eveyone on here gets on your case when it becomes clear that he's hopeless ! :P