Saints - The knowledge

Rich77

I think the 1-0 was won by a header from kevin mcgowne (i think that was his name) - except it wasn't - it was a clear own goal. The tannoy announced it as McGowne, and my mate, who had put a bet on him as first goal scorer bolted to the bookies to collect his winnings (at stupid odds). Just in time before it was correct to an OG...

Of course, I could be thinking of another match :)

Another one not mentioned was a win at Falkirk at the end of the 97/98 season - Roddy Grant and Phillip Scott got the goals - I think it was 4 -1 in the end, but might have been 5.

It was Kevin McGowne but actually a Pressley own goal. Well over 9,000 there, we had tartan third strip on and won 1-0. Game was also on Sportscene. For the corner that led to the goal Grant Johnson basically volleyed it straight out for a corner from the half line. Jock Brown says at this point in the commentary; "It's amazing how often goals come from situations like this......." Think we lost 1-0 to Morton at Cappielow the following week and that buggered it. However the second half of that season set basis for title win the next year, was a fantastic side.

Falkirk game was at end of 1996/97 season at Brockville. We had already won the league and they had just beaten Celtic to get to the Scottish cup final. Roddy and Scott each scored two. The second of Roddy's goals was one of the best have ever seen; outrageous turn and left foot volley, absolutely glorious. Stood right behind the goal to see it. Finished 4-1.

It was Kevin McGowne but actually a Pressley own goal. Well over 9,000 there, we had tartan third strip on and won 1-0. Game was also on Sportscene. For the corner that led to the goal Grant Johnson basically volleyed it straight out for a corner from the half line. Jock Brown says at this point in the commentary; "It's amazing how often goals come from situations like this......." Think we lost 1-0 to Morton at Cappielow the following week and that buggered it. However the second half of that season set basis for title win the next year, was a fantastic side.

Falkirk game was at end of 1996/97 season at Brockville. We had already won the league and they had just beaten Celtic to get to the Scottish cup final. Roddy and Scott each scored two. The second of Roddy's goals was one of the best have ever seen; outrageous turn and left foot volley, absolutely glorious. Stood right behind the goal to see it. Finished 4-1.

christ your memory is good... I certainly remember Roddy's second - that was sublime worthy of any league.

christ your memory is good... I certainly remember Roddy's second - that was sublime worthy of any league.

No idea why remember stuff like that, just seem to. I certainly don't remember anything that I really need to and might benefit me in some way!

That was when sturrock was out after his heart scare and sloop was in charge was it not ??

Was also behind said goal and Roddy had his back to goal when the ball was played into him. A neat swivel and a thunderous volley found the ball hit the back of the net. MMMaaaaaaagggggiiiiiiicccccccc.

added the following......liked your post, but apparently I have used up my "liked" for today.

Edited by HOODLUM65

That was when sturrock was out after his heart scare and sloop was in charge was it not ??

It was the same season but Sturrock collapsed at Tannadice in 2-1 defeat, think McQuillan scored. He only missed a couple of games thought after it. That was first time we played them that season.

Next was 0-0 at McDiarmid when Jenks & Dino made their debut, then we battered them 3-1 at Tannadice, think O'Boyle got 2 and O'Neil the other. Finished off with beating them 1-0 as has been described; sadly our recent record against them is nothing like this!