Saints - The knowledge

Rich77

A game against Dunfermline;3-2 @ McDiarmid and three of the best goals I've ever seen from Leigh Jenkinson (2) and Gary Farquarson.

Think that was 1994/95 season so Jenkinson had not signed yet. Peter Davenport scored absolutely cracking winner bending it in from outside box.

Think that was 1994/95 season so Jenkinson had not signed yet. Peter Davenport scored absolutely cracking winner bending it in from outside box.

Need to agree to disagree. I'm sure there was a game where Jenkinson scored two free kicks and Farquar smashed in a volley from about 30 yards.

After some painstaking research I am happy to say that your bang on about both games I mentioned there. Wonder what game I'm recalling then?

Of my favourite three Saints games, two have already been mentioned in the first post - home 3-3 vs. Monaco and of course the famous New Year 7-2 vs. Dundee.

The third one is our 0-3 humping of Hearts at "neutral" Easter Road in the League Cup semi-final in 1998. I started going to Saints games in 1994 at a time when we were playing the likes of Stranraer, Ayr and Dumbarton in the First Division. We played Hearts a couple of times in midweek in the cups and lost both of them in front of big away supports - to me they seemed to be well beyond our reach. As a young guy, our growth under Sturrock from there to the peaks of 1998/99 was fabulous and the climax for me was that semi-final where we absolutely humped Hearts in a stadium full of their fans. The atmosphere was brilliant and the feeling leaving the ground that night was incredible, for the first time I was totally hoarse from singing and joining in with the euphoria. It will always be one of my favourites. There is a clip of it on YouTube, complete with commentary from Archie MacPherson.

One other question: is there a particular reason that the rivalry with Dundee is much fiercer than with Dundee Utd or is that just how it is?

Can't really answer your question but for me the games against Dundee are much more significant. They seem to have more of an edge somehow in a way that other big games such as against United, Rangers or Celtic don't have. Away games at Dens just have something extra in my opinion.

It will always be one of my favourites. There is a clip of it on YouTube, complete with commentary from Archie MacPherson.

Absolutely... this was one of the best nights supporting Saints I can remember. The atmosphere in the Saints end was electric all night - the goals and performance were just stunning.

I still have a tape somewhere of the full match. I remember watching it over and over and over, and you could here the Saints fans loud and clear all match. The 2nd from Preston was classic. All the Saints fans screaming at him to pass to the overlapping Bollan and he just thundered one right into the postage stamp. Literally breathtaking.

The 7-2 would be an obvious one and the 3-3 with Monaco as well.

However 2nd I would have a 5-1 win at Dens in the challenge cup. We had from what I remember a fairly week team out, while they were at full strength. I think it was 4-0 at half time with the afor mentioned Gary Farquhar pulling all the strings!

I also thoroughly enjoyed a 2-2 draw at Kilmarnock. Saints were 2-0 up and literally playing Killie off the park, so much so that the small Saints contingent starting singing 'championees' and 'we're going to win the league'. Of course in true Saints fashion we proceeded to ship 2 soft goals in the last 10 minutes and draw, but it was a great day out and a great match throughout.

I was at some classics, and the 3-3 rangers being the big one that nearly was, although I was crushed to fuk in the crowd that day and missed a couple of goals. For some reason I'm also remembering a 0-0 with celtic at Muirton that had us staying behind for a 15 minutes ovation to the players...

The 5-0 drubbing of aberdeen has fond memories...my brother and i each bought girlfriends to the game (sacrilege and usually bad luck i know)...The game had all the perfect ingredients, bunch of goals and a sending off if i remember. After the game, we tailed an aberdeen fan bus for 10 minutes giving them stick and they all were going nutty, one of them even chasing down the side of the bus and trying to even open the rear door to somehow get out and jump onto us on the motorway (?wtf!)... Great times, I still remember the looks of pure hatred as we smugly accelerated away at 46 mph in my austin mini metro... I don't recall if our ladies concluded the deal for the perfect ending or not.

Any chance of a DVD conversion?!

If I can find the tape (it might be in Philippines with me - if not its in a box in my parents attic!). And then find a tape player. Not a bad idea actually.

I should also have a box of 3 or 4 tapes full of stv/bbc highlights and various other shows from the circa 1997 -2000 era. Let me work on that one :)

Is a lot of the Dundee rivalry not a historic thing, back to when they had won the league, came to Muirton and pumped us to relegate us. 60's maybe?

That's the thing, if you ask multiple people you'll get multiple different answers. It could be what you say above. It could be political (Dundee trad. Labour, Perth for a while Conservative), social (they smell, we don't), historical, geographical (i.e. simply local rivalry) etc etc. As long as you hate them that's the main thing. :D

It could be for all the times they've caused trouble through here. My first encounter with Dundee was 1979 when old grandads were fleeing down the terracing holding onto their bunnets as Dundee charged across.

Actually I don't hate them, it's just football rivalry to me.

I remember a game at Alloa about 1981,not sure if we clinched a promotion or something ,but i remember a pitch invasion,tripped over my 14 hole DM'S and Crombie trying to get away from the polis.Anyone fill me in on that match ?

1983. We clinched the league the following week against Dunfermline.

After some painstaking research I am happy to say that your bang on about both games I mentioned there. Wonder what game I'm recalling then?

Jenkinson did score a free kick against Dunfermline in the 1995/96 season, probably not long after he signed. It was a beauty that made it 2-2 in that game. O'Boyle hit the post with a ridiculous effort later on which denied us victory. Think Danny Griffin opened the scoring. Game was featured on Sportscene that night.

Farquhar also hit a beauty against Dunfermline but it was again a different game, think it was in 1994/95 and finished 1-1.

Jenkinson also of course scored twice in the 7-2 game, each goal was immense. One of them is on You Tube I think.

However 2nd I would have a 5-1 win at Dens in the challenge cup. We had from what I remember a fairly week team out, while they were at full strength. I think it was 4-0 at half time with the afor mentioned Gary Farquhar pulling all the strings!

It was indeed 4-0 at half time - even Andy Whiteford scored! We were at the end with bench seats behind the goal.

Same season as the 7-2. Fantastic time and team. No mention should be made as to how that Challenge Cup campaign finished mind you.......

Jenkinson did score a free kick against Dunfermline in the 1995/96 season, probably not long after he signed. It was a beauty that made it 2-2 in that game. O'Boyle hit the post with a ridiculous effort later on which denied us victory. Think Danny Griffin opened the scoring. Game was featured on Sportscene that night.

Farquhar also hit a beauty against Dunfermline but it was again a different game, think it was in 1994/95 and finished 1-1.

Jenkinson also of course scored twice in the 7-2 game, each goal was immense. One of them is on You Tube I think.

Ah yes. It's all coming back to me now.

Also some great wins against Dundee Utd when we were both in the first division. 1-0 & 3-1. I think the 1-0 at McD was on the telly.

Ah yes. It's all coming back to me now.

Also some great wins against Dundee Utd when we were both in the first division. 1-0 & 3-1. I think the 1-0 at McD was on the telly.

I think the 1-0 was won by a header from kevin mcgowne (i think that was his name) - except it wasn't - it was a clear own goal. The tannoy announced it as McGowne, and my mate, who had put a bet on him as first goal scorer bolted to the bookies to collect his winnings (at stupid odds). Just in time before it was correct to an OG...

Of course, I could be thinking of another match :)

Another one not mentioned was a win at Falkirk at the end of the 97/98 season - Roddy Grant and Phillip Scott got the goals - I think it was 4 -1 in the end, but might have been 5.

Thanks to everyone's comments have now also seen highlights of the 3-0 win over Hearts, the 4-1 win over Rangers and the 1-0 over Dundee to qualify for Europe. Good to get a look at the likes of Brogan, Dasovic, Main, and of course Jim Morton, amongst others.

Reckon I have about 30 years to catch up on...