Train Station

dan loves saints

Use to do golf caddying in the summer holidays at Gleneagles. Hitch it on the Glasgow Road in the morning to Auchterardar. On way home I used to jump on the train at Gleneagles then walk up the back way at Perth Station that came out on the Glasgow Road....No ticket collector there !  Not sure how many years till they sussed that one out ???   

Remember going up to the Red Star office at the Station (many years ago). Access was from the Glasgow Road, down the slope and the office was facing you. My then place of employment would get stuff sent up by train. I was despatched via taxi, collect the parcel, back in the taxi and back to work. A nice wee break from work.

Incidentally, you could get into the railway station, from Caledonian Road, as well.

Use to do golf caddying in the summer holidays at Gleneagles. Hitch it on the Glasgow Road in the morning to Auchterardar. On way home I used to jump on the train at Gleneagles then walk up the back way at Perth Station that came out on the Glasgow Road....No ticket collector there !  Not sure how many years till they sussed that one out ???

You still can Edited by THE LARK SAINT

There used to be direct access from platform 3 into Station Hotel through one of the archways

(the one that is now "bricked" up) I dont know what is the other side of that wall now but do remember that in the 60's & 70's that arch being signposted Station Hotel.

I did have a wee walk through the station when I was up in Perth a couple of weeks ago and I thought I would go out onto Caley Rd. I went to the end of platform 3 and passed where I remember the shunters and carrige cleaners bothies were.... they are all gone now. No direct access from that side of the station though if you were to go from the far end of platform 4 might be easier though no less dangerous... NOT reccomended!!!

At one time the Station Hotel was owned by British Transport Hotels, as was Gleneagles Hotel. These were owned by the LMS Railway (London Midland & Scottish Railway) prior to nationalisation in 1948. The Gleneagles Hotel was sold in 1981 and the Station Hotel in Perth was sold in 1983. There were other hotels, and all were sold off by 1984.

Incidentally has anyone set foot in the Station Hotel lately?

Edited by Carron

I used to caddy at Gleneagles too, but there was only a few of us from Perth went (mostly Stirling folk from the Raploch).  What years did you go caddying?

If I remember correctly , it was the late 70s that the sailor boy did this particular venture.⛳

That's a few years before my time, which were in the '80s,  long gone are these days heading home with a stash of cash in your back pocket.  No worries about tax or national insurance back then!  Some of the guys I knew back then are still at it but now doing it full time.  They work for 6 months in the winter over in Florida, then head back here for the summer.

I see they have built one of those modern eye sore bridges down from platform 1/2.HORRIBLE. in the wrong place and HORRIBLE.

3/4 Million well spent, NOT!!!

If we had this forum in the 70,s i would have said the same thing about the HORRIBLE extension at the front

Edited by THE LARK SAINT

I see they have built one of those modern eye sore bridges down from platform 1/2.HORRIBLE. in the wrong place and HORRIBLE.

3/4 Million well spent, NOT!!!

If we had this forum in the 70,s i would have said the same thing about the HORRIBLE extension at the front

I heard the staff aren't allowed to use salt to treat ice on the new bridge in case it rusts!

The frontage could be changed to blend in with the original build. Maybe look at that instead of increasing the Flowers in Bloom budget.

"Flowers in Bloom" budget = Council

Railway station budget = Network Rail

They should do away with platforms 3 and 4 and everything in between; including the leaking canopy. This would take it back to the original station building which is actually very nice but woefully neglected. Throw in a thoughtfully designed bridge linking this part to platforms 1 and 2 and it could be a great station.

The new bridge is part of a £2m station upgrade program. TBH I'd prefer Network Rail to spend their our dough upgrading the railway itself to cut journey times and improve reliability.