Dundee vs. Saints 30/09/06

Radford 72

Don't suppose many will head through to this one. :wink:

Have to win on Saturday, despite the previous talk of no games being must win, we have to put ourselves in the situation that if we lose to Gretna, we won't be miles behind. If they beat Airdrie (likely!) and then us we'd be seven points behind already if we lose to Dundee. We'd also likely have dropped right back into the chasing pack. It's imperative you follow up draws with wins and not more draws like we did last season.

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Indeed Kev, compound that with the fact that if they win, they are above us in the table it makes for an interesting 90 minutes. Dundee are not scoring many from open play, but not conceding very many - we are scoring plenty from open play and not conceding any and with Mr Freeland in charge, you never know what kind of game you are going to get!

If we can get in about them early and put the shackles on Alex Rae to limit his effect on the game, we will be well on our way to victory against a poor Dundee side (although not as poor as Agent Kernaghan's one of last year!).

Plus, I'll be at this one (having had a couple of light refreshments of course :wink: ) :D

Come on you super whites!!!

Have to win on Saturday, despite the previous talk of no games being must win, we have to put ourselves in the situation that if we lose to Gretna, we won't be miles behind. If they beat Airdrie (likely!) and then us we'd be seven points behind already if we lose to Dundee. We'd also likely have dropped right back into the chasing pack. It's imperative you follow up draws with wins and not more draws like we did last season.

I think that if we are faced with success games of Dundee away then Gretna at home, it is the Gretna one that is the must win.

We obviously would rather win them both, but a point at Dens is never bad. They have picked up very well over the last 4 - 5 games and are probably the really in form team in the division so an away point would be fine.

In theory we should be looking to win all our home games, so we should be going into the Gretna game with the half full attitude of 'if we beat them' rather than the half empty 'if we lose' That gives the psycological advantage to Gretna straight away.

Id realistically be looking for 4 points...1 at dens, 3 at McD...but it wouldnt be the end of the world if we drew them both at this stage. We just dont want to lose either of them though.

I think that if we are faced with success games of Dundee away then Gretna at home, it is the Gretna one that is the must win.

We obviously would rather win them both, but a point at Dens is never bad. They have picked up very well over the last 4 - 5 games and are probably the really in form team in the division so an away point would be fine.

In theory we should be looking to win all our home games, so we should be going into the Gretna game with the half full attitude of 'if we beat them' rather than the half empty 'if we lose' That gives the psycological advantage to Gretna straight away.

Id realistically be looking for 4 points...1 at dens, 3 at McD...but it wouldnt be the end of the world if we drew them both at this stage. We just dont want to lose either of them though.

We need to make sure we go into the Gretna game with a chance of going top IMO, or at least above them. Their goal difference is better than ours and likely to be boosted on Saturday so if they know they can come to Perth and lose, yet remain above us, it takes a weight off their shoulders and was the problem we had with St Mirren in February last year.

We can't take two points from two games if we want to win the league IMO.

Have to play Sheridan in there to match up to Alex Rae.

totally agree with this, he is the one person that could match him in the centre of the park

They look to have some very ordinary players (Derek Lyle) but anyone that beats Gretna 4-0 deserves respect.

If Savo is fit, I wonder who will be dropped? As much as I thought Sheerin did well on Saturday, this is typically the sort of game he can't get involved in when it's a physical, derby-type encounter.

So I'd go...

Halliwell

Lawrie - McManus - Ando - Stanic

Hardie - Mensing - Sheridan - McLaren

Savo - Scotland

Hardie and Mensing are obviously pretty interchangable.

Guest SJFC1988

I think this game will suit our style because dundee will attack from the start and this will open them up for us to score plenty of goals :D

id go with:

halliwell

lawrie ando mcmanus stanic

hardie mensing sheerin mclaren

scotland jackson/ milne ( depending if milne is fit)

I say we will win 3-1. :D

I agree with Radford about Sheerin to be fair.

Sheerin is a complete ghosts in games where the going gets a bit tough and the ride gets a bit rough - see Greenock Morton game for example of this. Airdrie as well. I'd keep Sheridan in to cancel out Rae and have McLaren out wide to rip them apart down the wing. If he's not performing, Sheerin will be on the bench to replace him.

That said - I don't see OC dropping Sheerin.

I cannot believe anyone would contemplate dropping Sheerin :shock:

One of our best players, creator, provider and worker.

Yer living on a different planet Radford.

Name me anything Sheerin did in any of the derby games last season? He may as well not have been on the pitch. In a high tempo game like this, if he's played in the centre, the game will by-pass him totally. There's the option of playing him on the left and it's a reasonable option as Dundee have narrowed their pitch but, like Andy Lawrie, we need to show a bit of faith in McLaren.

Sheerin will contribute a lot this season (and I voted him MotM on Saturday past) but he's proven time-and-time again, he's not up to it in this sort of game.

Whilst Sheerin has done his Casper impression in the Dundee matches, our three derby goals last season all came from set pieces taken by Darren Sheridan. Alex Rae would eat Sheerin for breakfast.

Jeez, Kev!

You on pills or what?

We have caught up once after falling slightly behind. Why sound like a doom and gloom monger so early in the season?

Jeez, Kev!

You on pills or what?

We have caught up once after falling slightly behind. Why sound like a doom and gloom monger so early in the season?

Didn't say I think we'll lose either game though! :wink:

Just saying I don't want this to be like other seasons where we leave it too late before making a run. Need the three points on Saturday, anything less just isn't good enough IMHO.

Name me anything Sheerin did in any of the derby games last season? He may as well not have been on the pitch. In a high tempo game like this, if he's played in the centre, the game will by-pass him totally. There's the option of playing him on the left and it's a reasonable option as Dundee have narrowed their pitch but, like Andy Lawrie, we need to show a bit of faith in McLaren.

Sheerin will contribute a lot this season (and I voted him MotM on Saturday past) but he's proven time-and-time again, he's not up to it in this sort of game.

Only Derby I saw last year was the Dens Disaster which ended with Srabble in goal; Sheerin created plenty that day, especially when we played football in the first half. Lots of long balls and right wing attacks in the second half gave him little chance, though he still played some lovely long through passes - similar to that from which Jason scored against their Arab neeburs... Haven't seen McLaren yet but from our forumers reports he hasn't proved himself to be either consistent nor more aggressive than Sheerin would be.

Also, surely his pace would be a terrific asset up front, next to Jason?

IF Savo starts, I would have Oor Wullie on the bench as his replacement after 60 minutes.

My first league game of the season... I chose to finish at caithness glass at the right time :lol:

Line up? Don't really care... as long as it's a winning one and doesn't contain Stevo, I'll be happy.

Dundee are on form just now... but we always want this one more. Should be a good game anyway.

My first league game of the season... I chose to finish at caithness glass at the right time :lol:

Line up? Don't really care... as long as it's a winning one and doesn't contain Stevo, I'll be happy.

Dundee are on form just now... but we always want this one more. Should be a good game anyway.

I've been impressed (if that's the right word) with what Davie Farrell and Alex Rae have been saying. They seem to realise the importance we place on this game so I fear they'll make sure their players know that.

We have a better set of players than them but I'm just not confident. We so need the three points though.