Keeping Fit

Guest Mongy Max

Guest Mongy Max

Decided to shift some timber so I have acquired a copy of the home work out, Insanity.

I'm too tight to pay for a gym membership so feel this is the way to go!

Anyone else done it? What are your keeping fit regimes for home?

get yersel a peedo ometer and walk at least 10500 steps a day.eat loadsa fruit .cut oot the crisps and chocolates.eat smaller meals.be pals with larky.feck the gym get a season ticket for mcd with what you would have spent on gym membership.

if that doesnae work then at least ye have a season ticket.braw.

had  a wee try at insanity, downloaded it, no good for me in this house, floors, tv, cupboard etc etc all shook, felt like i was going to go through the floor, need a solid floor with bit of space. Looks good but the diet has to be spot on in my opinion to see results on the tin. I dare say you will lose weight though if u do it.

I've lost 4 1/2 stones in the last 2 1/2 years. No crazy diets, no insane workout plans. It's a lifestyle change you need, not a short term fix. Once you reach your goal you're liable to go back to your normal habits and undo all be good work.

I eat a pretty normal diet-three square meals a day with light snacks between, but the key is to cut portions and swap some bad stuff for some good stuff. So for me it was ditching garlic bread with dinner and making the portions about a third smaller, and swapping an afternoon twix with a cereal bar, for example.

I consume about 1500-1800 calories a day, walk the dog at least a mile or two a day, and do at least half an hours exercise five days a week-that's usually a run, a swim, a game of squash or a game of fives. You might only lose a pound or two a week, but that's sustainable and you won shovel it straight back on at the end.

As Jamie said changes to your body must be a progressive thing.

I weight train and have had a fair few guys ask me for advice on how to get "bigger muscles" or "lose my gut". As soon as I tell them give yourself atleast a year to see visable improvements that last, they roll their eyes and go looking for the next fad diet or extreme training method!

As for loss of bodyfat, google Gary Taubes. I do alot of study on training, diets, etc and he has supplied the most scientific based research I've ever come across.

• 2 weeks later...

As mentioned, the important thing is to make small changes which you can easily keep up. 3 square meals, fruit for snacks and limiting food intake are obvious but essential for fitness and weight loss. Walking is a fairly easy activity, saddling yourself with extra weight from a packed backpack makes it that bit more challenging.

Of course, a game of 5 a side, or a spot of Cricket every now and then also helps.

As mentioned, the important thing is to make small changes which you can easily keep up. 3 square meals, fruit for snacks and limiting food intake are obvious but essential for fitness and weight loss. Walking is a fairly easy activity, saddling yourself with extra weight from a packed backpack makes it that bit more challenging.

Of course, a game of 5 a side, or a spot of Cricket every now and then also helps.

Why 3 square meals? Most nutritionalists and trainers advise 5/6 smaller meals to encourage an efficient metabolism.