The Nigel Hasselbaink Appreciation Thread

The Real Saints

Tommy Wright on the other hand clearly isn't qualified to make comment, despite masterminding our most fantastic performance for 15 years.

--------------------

Not sure about that! The last time we scored four at home was against the hu ns,that was a better performance as it was against a much better team,i'd argue 5-1 Hibs and 5-0 Accies were both better than saturday too,and both far more recent than 15 years,but i knew what you meant :wink:

Edited by dave mc

EdStar101 - Would you have 2 Spoonys in your squad or 2 Nigels? and why?

I'm not comparing them, you are.....all I think is that looking at Nigel's performance on Saturday, it was one of his better ones and was of a good standard. Whether or not I think Spoony is better (which I do by the way) is irrelevant.

Mark: What you said in your original post was "He didn't make any forward runs with the ball". Thats why I said you were on the wind up.

You are now taking the thread down a Nigel v Spoony route which isnt what it was about.

I think they both played well but wouldnt expect everyone to agree

Edited by Seannachie

His over all game has gone a long way. Positionally hes much better and he doesn't give the ball away as often. His ball through to MD in the first half was quality as well. Hes always been able to beat a man although he seems less predictable this season at times as well.

Edited by PerthSeany

Montrose - Im saying I don't agree with RTS but ill respect that its his opinion

I looked up 'travesty' in the dictionary. It doesn't mean 'don't agree'.

I understand where you are coming from, and yeah, me and a few folk have reacted, but the way you are wording your responses for an educated person is somewhat inflammatory.

I think there will always be a camp that dislikes Nigel's contribution.

For me I pay good money to watch a team that isn't expected to win trophies, and value for money for me is excitement and quality attacking football, a few unexpected results. I'd far rather an unpredictable, often brilliant winger who doesn't tick all the textbook qualities of a midfielder than watch a boring team grind out results to desperately keep the taxman from taking the club away.

Maybe that's a bit OTT, but there is a buzz around the ground when Nige (and Spoony, May, Edwards) face up to defenders and take them on.

Edited by montrosesaintee

but there is a buzz around the ground when Nige (and Spoony, May, Edwards) face up to defenders and take them on.

In a tight game it could be the difference between 1 & 3 points. We cant always just play the square pass. Being able to beat a man occasionally and get into the box to either cut it back have a go will be the difference between bottom 6/midtable to top 6 and europe again.

And as u said, its better and more exciting to watch

Edited by PerthSeany

I do not agree with you mark . I personally think Nigel was a great outlet on Saturday as he has been mostly this season . The only downside was his tiring in the second half .

Saints don't have many players that are as skillful as Nigel and as good in one on ones . If you want complete footballers then go watch barca .

Nigel plays for St Johnstone and I'll support him till he moves on.

Montrose - I would never want us to sign a player who would make the club go bust, but I do want a player who is constant player "Often" for me is not good enough, Would you want a player that puts in some good skills and runs for 7/8 minutes in a full game and vanishes for the rest or a player who maybe isn't as skilful but works for the full 90? Personally I want the guy giving us the full 90, others may not see it that way. One example was when he didn't track Gordon and let him get between himself and Scobbie - making scobbie go to the ball and letting his man in behind, with Wright having to come over and cover and give away a corner - that's just a small example but that time when he switches off could by costly