The Nigel Hasselbaink Appreciation Thread

The Real Saints

From being a lazy, (I'm only going to move if they pass the ball to my feet) player, to his present through the middle position of chasing a loose ball and closing down defenders, is quite a change in attitude.

Top marks to Tommy Wright for realising Nigel could be an asset, as a foil to Stevie May.

Is there any coinsidence with Nigels amazing improvement in performance and particularly commitment (particularly in the tackle) coinsiding with the fact he can sign a pre-contract with a club down south as of Jan?

I think there might be....

Is there any coinsidence with Nigels amazing improvement in performance and particularly commitment (particularly in the tackle) coinsiding with the fact he can sign a pre-contract with a club down south as of Jan?

I'm really not arsed if it is. If he continues this until the end of the season and leaves, we'll end up having a very successful season and he'll leave a hero. I don't think the two are linked though to be honest - he's just been given a lot more freedom to express himself this season and he appears much happier this year.

We know he wants to play in England - he's capable of playing at a decent level there and his form this season shows it. I'm hoping we can tie him down for at least another year as he might be another who will get us a fee IMO.

Not at all. He's still so young, a fact often forgotten because he's been around for a few years. We're seeing him grow as a man and a player.

Hopefully we can get another year from him. He's got the potential to make a very good living from the game. There's no doubting he looks really settled here and is loving playing football.

I think he'd benefit from another season with us but have the gut feeling he'll jump at the first opportunity down south.

Looks to be enjoying his football here. I don't think the atmosphere in the dressing room can be underestimated, both in terms of how we are currently playing and in players being happy to stay here for longer than we may have thought they would. Wouldn't surprise me to see Nigel sign for another year. Fingers crossed.

No, I think we have a talented young guy who has very little self belief and confidence, and needed some positive man management. I think it was too easy for him with Tade at the club too. Tommy Wright seems to have done two things - made him believe in his own ability, and make him stand on his own two feet without hiding under the wing of someone else.

There's more to football than kicking a ball. Lomas didn't realise that enough in my opinion, and as a result brought the worst out in Nigel.

I still think it was a myth that Nigel was lazy this time last year. I always thought he contributed enough to be in our team and thought that Lomas just simply didn't rate him. He is maybe working slightly harder now but that in no way suggests he was lazy. Just in the same way Jason Scotland was never lazy. Glad that he's finally being appreciated by everyone.

I still think it was a myth that Nigel was lazy this time last year. I always thought he contributed enough to be in our team and thought that Lomas just simply didn't rate him. He is maybe working slightly harder now but that in no way suggests he was lazy. Just in the same way Jason Scotland was never lazy. Glad that he's finally being appreciated by everyone.

I'd agree with this. I think it was pretty obvious Lomas did not rate/like Nige. I'm glad Tommy has given him game time as he is such a positive player.

• 3 months later...