The Nigel Hasselbaink Appreciation Thread

The Real Saints

I think this thread must be a wind up, Apart from his goal and 2 runs he was shite, He didn't make any forward runs with the ball, Walked about with the ball and was caught in possession many time, was caught offside when he couldn't be arsed coming back, - I'm shocked that people think that was a good performance,

I will say he took his goal well and that's about it. I would play Edwards every day of the week ahead of him

:?  is Nige rattling your sister or something....?   Unsure what game you were watching on Saturday.   Weird.  :neutral:

Not a poor attempt at a wind up, it is my genuine thoughts on his performance. Watched the game from the stands and I would not have him in my team, id rather have someone who gives his all for 90 minutes than someone who stops playing after he scores because his job was done (and yes he scored early so he done nowt the rest of the game) As I say my opinion and im entitled to it and anyone who knows me values my input ;)

Haha - I love the uneducated football fan

Wow. I can't believe that you actually think that. He made countless forward runs, won us plenty of free kicks, played some fantastic passes and worked as hard as any other player on the pitch (apart from May). His ability to turn his marker or cut in front of them at pace is excellent and his end product is improving with every game.

How you can say he is shite is beyond me. Then you go on to say you would rather Edwards played! Edwards, who hasha contributed absolutely nothing in any games he's played in for us. You clearly don't have a clue!

Thats whats its all about everone has there own thoughts and views you dont have to agree,  discuss / debate

I totally agree. Sometimes though, somebody makes such a ridiculous observation that people will (rightly) jump all over it. Doesn't of course mean that if they really mean it, that they shouldn't post it. But, they should also be prepared for counter-argument. Others reaction and response does not mean that they think that the OP shouldn't have posted, they are simply giving their opinion in return.

I was probably one of the main critics of Nige last season for a couple of reasons, and still think that he has a way to go to fully realise the potential that he obviously has, but on Saturday you could clearly see what the lad is capable of.

I remember the times he slowed play down. If we had been losing or even drawing, then that may have done my nut in, but after his shift and the fact that we were winnign comfortably, I can see no grounds for criticism there.

The problem Nigel has is that he will do a 70 yard run and skin his defender. If the ball comes near him within 5 mins he can't do it again so he jogs and looks to pass - he's buggered. He'll then go on another run and then take a breather. The style of his play is VERY physical which is tiring and he's not the fittest in the world. Because of that I think he's showing maturity by picking his run and using the ball differently when he's tired.

If he ever got to a level of fitness where he could run all day he'd be frightening.

The problem Nigel has is that he will do a 70 yard run and skin his defender. If the ball comes near him within 5 mins he can't do it again so he jogs and looks to pass - he's buggered. He'll then go on another run and then take a breather. The style of his play is VERY physical which is tiring and he's not the fittest in the world. Because of that I think he's showing maturity by picking his run and using the ball differently when he's tired.

If he ever got to a level of fitness where he could run all day he'd be frightening.

One of my mates commented on Saturday that he thought Nige was looking 'heavy' at the start of the game. Not sure if he has muscled up a bit, or put a bit of beef on. I would be surprised if it was the latter under the current regime tbh.

One of my mates commented on Saturday that he thought Nige was looking 'heavy' at the start of the game. Not sure if he has muscled up a bit, or put a bit of beef on. I would be surprised if it was the latter under the current regime tbh.

I can't see it being fat to be honest. When he runs he's like shit off a stick, I doubt you could do that carrying fat. One of his biggest strengths is his strength, when be put Ben Gordon (twice his size) on his arse on Saturday he showed rudiculous power for a guy his size. He needs his bulk otherwise he'd just be another lightweight winger who gets bullied by the fullbacks.

Why would I want to do that? I wouldn't start a negative thread on a player just give an honest overview of his performance

But you'd criticise a player on his appreciation thread? If you don't think he is a good player, don't post on his appreciation thread. The point of an appreciation thread is for people to post their appreciation of a player. I didn't create a 'Nigel Hasselbaink Appreciation or Disappointment Thread - Either Applicable.'

I don't claim to know Mark but I have had some communication with him and read some of his views and I value his opinion. I disagree this time but that doesn't mean I have to call it a wind up. In fact I have seen some if his views on this that suggest the opposite.

Well I got six highers, two advanced highers and an honours degree, and I reckon wee Nige is shit hot. That's my uneducated opinion!

Caveat - being educated don't make me less of a muppet.

I'll match that and raise you an MBA. And I'm a feckin eejit. Education maketh NOT the man. Nige has a centre of gravity even lower than Maradonna's - he could be carrying a  sack of tatties and still put Ross County defenders on their arses 8 days a week.  

Bit worrying though that we now have four or five players who are likely to be getting on the radar of scouts. Also really brilliant. That's what being a diddy team is all about. Enjoy Nige and the rest while we can, I suppose is the lesson. 

Fantastic thread. The one guy who is connected with football and has badges to prove it gives his honest opinion ( rightly or wrongly ) and gets slaughtered by the " Football Manager " brigade. This site is quite incredible at times.

Billy Stark has football badges and he is a bloody idiot.

Agree some on this site are quick to put the boot in if they disagree though. I think if Marks opinion would have come after any other game it wouldnt have had as hostile a response. In my opinion that was Nigels best game for Saints.

You obviously need to be 'qualified' now to have an opinion. Lomas clearly thought the same player was shite, and he's the bloody Millwall manager!! Clearly he knows more than us.

Tommy Wright on the other hand clearly isn't qualified to make comment, despite masterminding our most fantastic performance for 15 years.

Never once have I said being qualified makes my opinion more or less valuable than anyone else's

So in the interest of debate lets be honest and look at these questions - We had a Left and a Right Attacking Mid so during the game

Who made more forward runs with the ball and beat their man?

Who Completed the most passes?

Who tracked their man back to the edge of their own box?

Who came inside to get the ball when it wasn't going out wide?

Which player covered more ground?

Never once have I said being qualified makes my opinion more or less valuable than anyone else's

So in the interest of debate lets be honest and look at these questions - We had a Left and a Right Attacking Mid so during the game

For me that's Craig Brown style box ticking. Great wing play isn't about statistics.

You are probably right that Spoony was better and did all these things above....but that doesn't mean Nige played shite.....more than one player can have a good game (by their standards even) at any time you know. By your argument, do you think Edwards would have outclassed Spoony in all these departments, therefore allowing you to say Spoony had a shit game?

I also realise that it was not you that raised the 'badges' thing

Here's a couple for you

Were these 2 runs that were worthy of note in the first or second half?

Are you seriously saying that Nigel did not make any forward runs with the ball?