The Nigel Hasselbaink Appreciation Thread

The Real Saints

All 11 players deserve great acclaim for their performance today. However, I'd like to take a moment to focus on wee Nigel who I thought took a lot of unfair flack from some supporters last season. Despite the criticism he received, I have always considered him one of our most dangerous attacking players. Fair play to him for plugging away and working his way into a regular starting slot (which he very much merits). Keep up the good work, Nigel!

I think his work-rate has improved immensely.  I don't think he was lazy towards the end of the game today - I think he was utterly confused at how much space he was getting.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although he has shown flashes of brilliance and certainly played very well in patches today, he needs to work harder for me and cut out the  laziness towards the end of games.

Credit where credit is due today though..

I think his work-rate has improved immensely.  I don't think he was lazy towards the end of the game today - I think he was utterly confused at how much space he was getting.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although he has shown flashes of brilliance and certainly played very well in patches today, he needs to work harder for me and cut out the  laziness towards the end of games.

I think he was tiring towards the end but despite that I thought he kept giving it a go and he played a lot more cleverly than he has done in the past. He took his goal well and the right side of the County defence never had a clue on how to cope with him.

Although he has shown flashes of brilliance and certainly played very well in patches today, he needs to work harder for me and cut out the laziness towards the end of games.

He's not lazy he was just shattered. He can't run at his man every time, nobody is fit enough to do that. He was so involved today that he had to take breathers. He regularly runs 70 yards whilst muscling out s defender. That in itself is shattering. If anything he showed maturity today and instead of running picked some beautiful passes through.

Edited by Broon

Hasselbaink has been an excellent player for us from day 1. He's scored 8 goals from the left wing position and has started more of half his games on the bench, as well as loads of other assists/telling contributions. The criticism he got last season was ridiculous, most of which stemmed from the fact he said he wanted to play in the Championship when he left Saints.

Bev Callard and Kyle are spot on. On a 'minutes played - contribution' ratio last season, Hasselbaink would have been top of the list.

It is also worth adding that he is incredibly stylish. He possesses a fantastic fashion sense and I can't stress this enough. 

hsslbnk.jpg

Love wee Nige and was delighted to see him get full ninety. Just having him on the pitch puts the opposition on the back foot as they are terrified of his speed. Beginning to show signs of when to pick a pass, some of the link up play was great. Remember the crackingggoals scored against Celtic and Motherwell home and away and that outside of the foot cross to set up McLean vs Inverness, guy is quality and lucky to have him. Think the fans are beginning to see this and nice to see him getting some good support!

His pass to Muzz was world class. I was willing him to release May, but he spotted that May had dragged two defenders to the left, so he held it up and held it up waiting for the run that Muzz should have made 3 seconds earlier. Great vision, which wasn't in his locker last year.

Nigel's performances yesterday and against Minsk were testament to TWs man management skills. A somewhat unassured and peripheral character now firmly part of a close team spirit.