The Nigel Hasselbaink Appreciation Thread

The Real Saints

Posted missing in action in the first half.

Roared into the second half after a team roasting at half time maybe.

Scored his goal very well and done well after that but then tired a little.

Sometimes feel he needs a boot up the erse to get him going. This goal was his first in 4 MONTHS!! 

Hopefully kick starts him off on the goal scoring again as May can't burden all the weight for scoring.

I still think it was a myth that Nigel was lazy this time last year. I always thought he contributed enough to be in our team and thought that Lomas just simply didn't rate him. He is maybe working slightly harder now but that in no way suggests he was lazy. Just in the same way Jason Scotland was never lazy. Glad that he's finally being appreciated by everyone.

Lomas seemed to favour Edwards over Nigel - ridiculous IMO. TW has picked him much more & has got more out of him as a result. Now that we're into the SC semi-finals the extra cash we'll get may allow us to tempt Nigel & a few others to extend their contracts.

Lomas seemed to favour Edwards over Nigel - ridiculous IMO. TW has picked him much more & has got more out of him as a result. Now that we're into the SC semi-finals the extra cash we'll get may allow us to tempt Nigel & a few others to extend their contracts.

Semi-final? Extra cash? What extra cash? We're going to the final this time and we'll have loadsamoney :laugh:

Lomas seemed to favour Edwards over Nigel - ridiculous IMO

Edwards only played 143 minutes last season, and only featured in 7 matches. Hasselbaink played a part in every single match after Edwards was signed. I've no idea where you've got the idea Lomas preferred Edwards from  :huh:

• 3 weeks later...

Edwards only played 143 minutes last season, and only featured in 7 matches. Hasselbaink played a part in every single match after Edwards was signed. I've no idea where you've got the idea Lomas preferred Edwards from  :huh:

So why was Nigel in the papers saying he was looking to leave at the end of the season due to his lack of games?

The way Croft, O'Halloran and Wotherspoon are performing I believe he will struggle to regain his place. The others are team players and workers but he is a lazy glory hunter who only wants to think of himself. He will never be a team player. He scored against Raith Rovers but contributed little else. I can see him leaving in the summer.

The way Croft, O'Halloran and Wotherspoon are performing I believe he will struggle to regain his place. The others are team players and workers but he is a lazy glory hunter who only wants to think of himself. He will never be a team player. He scored against Raith Rovers but contributed little else. I can see him leaving in the summer.

Still amazes me people don't appreciate wee Nigel. Lazy? Couldn't disagree more. The difference with Nigel is he spends his energy running with the ball not without it. He has also put a lot of effort into the defensive side of his game and frequently chases back.

Unfortunately he's been labelled just as Jason Scotland was. He's one of the few with genuine ability to do something different.

Nigel has chipped in with a few goal this season, not sure if the three above have a lot of goals in them, but are probably more team players, but in a team that struggles for goals apart from May and MacLean, sometimes need that wee extra spark that provides a goal threat, so team players or added goal threat, that is the question?

Nigel isn't lazy. There's a massive difference between not being that effective at helping out the defence and being lazy. He's also been one of our best players for large swathes of the season. And he's got great dance moves.

Still amazes me that people think a club like Saints can afford to carry a player for his odd bits of brilliance and forget about his exceedingly poor choice of passing, his appalling crosses and his constant sulks when he loses the ball yet again. He is an enigma and I actually thought early in the season he was coming good at last, but he seems to have gone backwards again and can only have himself to blame for his lack of game time recently.

I think Nige has improved massively in terms of his attitude over this season. This period will be a test for him in that regard though as he does look to be below others in the pecking order for those midfield berths.

The trouble with starting with Nige is that, fair enough, if he is on form and things are working for him, great addition, but my concern is when he is having an off day or things just not going his way.....it then becomes like playing with a man down as he is not the type of player to just dig in (think about Midge, even if having a bad game, he still gets stuck in and doesn't hide). Wotherspoon, if playing poorly, will still get stuck in with tackles and always offers a dead ball option. O'Halloran looks like he will be like Midge....will never settle for just not being involved because he is playing poorly....Croft is maybe a bit similar to the Nige scenario, but always offers that better delivery into the box imo 

Depending on the rest of the games and who stays on / goes, I could see Nige moving on in the summer

Still amazes me that people think a club like Saints can afford to carry a player for his odd bits of brilliance and forget about his exceedingly poor choice of passing, his appalling crosses and his constant sulks when he loses the ball yet again. He is an enigma and I actually thought early in the season he was coming good at last, but he seems to have gone backwards again and can only have himself to blame for his lack of game time recently.

On the same token, it amazes me that people think a club like Saints is going to have a player who produces moments of magic that doesn't have bad days. He'd be a great addition to any club at this level as he is a game changer, something which we lacked for years, especially in the wide areas. We've an embarrassment of riches in the attacking midfield areas and O'Halloran and Spoony will be hard to displace, but there are definitely games that Nigel is extremely useful in. Edited by Ali91

Hasselbaink has scored and set up at least 20 goals, probably more, since he signed for us at the start of last season. Considering a decent percentage of his appearances have come from the bench, that's a brilliant record. He only gives you 60 minutes, but he's a very good player at this level. If he goes to another Premiership side, we'll regret it.

I sincerely hope we sign him up again.  People who think he is lazy just amaze me - would we rather have a team of players with less ability who ran about a lot?  Nigel has been very good this season, and is very hard to get off the ball.

I think his workrate has vastly improved this season...but still stand by my thoughst a few posts up

I think his workrate has vastly improved this season...but still stand by my thoughst a few posts up

It wasn't your post I was disagreeing with to be honest.  I think your points are valid, even though I wouldn't necessarily agree 100%.  There are other posts on here that write Nigel off as a luxury player we can't afford, or worse as "lazy".  These are the posts that I disagree with.  I think he has made a significant and positive contribution this season.

Think calling Nige "lazy" is really unfair. There's been a big improvement in his attitude this season, and I've watched him run himself into the ground in a lot of matches. He's also far better positionally than he was in his first season here. He's still a young player and he's been improving a lot. Unfortunately he always seems to be the guy who gets either subbed off or dropped, regardless of how he plays. Not sure why that is, but if it's making him want to move on then I think that's understandable.

It wasn't your post I was disagreeing with to be honest.  I think your points are valid, even though I wouldn't necessarily agree 100%.  There are other posts on here that write Nigel off as a luxury player we can't afford, or worse as "lazy".  These are the posts that I disagree with.  I think he has made a significant and positive contribution this season.

Yeah, I realised that it wasn't my post you were directly responding to :cool:

A year ago, I was one of those that was in the camp that you disagree with. Since then, Nige has won me over, to a degree.

I still don't think he is 'all that'...often, I think the things he does have a degree of good fortune as opposed to great skill about them, and therefore, if his luck isn't in, you gt little from him

I'm not going to lose my cool here. I will remain calm.

I'm a bit concerned that people are missing the point of 'The Nigel Hasselbaink Appreciation Thread'. This thread is for people to show their appreciation for Nigel Hasselbaink. If you have no appreciation to show, you can feel free to create a 'Nigel Hasselbaink Criticism Thread' or a thread simply entitled 'Nigel Hasselbaink' in which people can state their opinions, both positive and negative, freely.

Would you go onto the St Johnstone v Partick Thistle thread and discuss the upcoming fixture between Stranraer and Airdrie? No, you would not. This is the NIGEL HASSELBAINK APPRECIATION THREAD. IF YOU HAVE NOTHING APPRECIATIVE TO SAY, DON'T POST ON THIS THREAD!

Sorry, I lost my cool there.