The Nigel Hasselbaink Appreciation Thread

The Real Saints

• 2 months later...

Got to say, letting Hasslebaink go when we knew Stevie May was going to leave was a monumental mistake.  In several games this season we've struggled to open teams up and wee Nigel would have made a massive difference. He's currently wasting away on the bench in the Greek premier league (his team is doing well though).

The more I think back on the summer's dealing the more it makes my blood boil. What a royal **** up that was.

That's all well and good Broon. The fact remains he sat on the ball during a warm up and once looked vaguely unhappy about something. That's without even mentioning bootlacegate.

Him being a skilful, pacey, tricky option that would offer us something different in forward areas, particularly useful in tight matches, is completely irrelevant in light of the above. There's no room for players like him at Saints.

Got to say, letting Hasslebaink go when we knew Stevie May was going to leave was a monumental mistake.  In several games this season we've struggled to open teams up and wee Nigel would have made a massive difference. He's currently wasting away on the bench in the Greek premier league (his team is doing well though).

The more I think back on the summer's dealing the more it makes my blood boil. What a royal **** up that was.

Could be wrong, but at the time we let him go we were still under the impression that Stevie's agent would do business on a new deal. It was only some weeks after that it became appartent he had no intenton of letting May sign a new deal with us.

Nigel was a good impact player, however, if it was correct that he was one of our highest wage earners...did he deserve to be?

I don't think that's correct Rick. He was trying to contact Nigel to tell him personally he wasn't being kept on, couldn't get hold of him so had to go through agent.

I can't remember totally. But I was sure TW was trying to reach Nige to arrange talks but was being blanked.

The interview will be on here. Might look later.

I think it will be inconclusive - he was going to speak to Hasselbaink but he wasn't answering calls. Tommy didn't say what the calls were about though. 

Having said that, I don't think he was going to be kept on. By all accounts he was expensive and failing to make the cup final team may have been the final nail in the coffin for both parties. 

What a surprise that he has already been relegated to the subs bench, surely all these managers can't be wrong!!

I believe they were tying to contact Nigel to tell him no offer was going to be made but he wasn't answering the calls.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing. In at least one of the goals we have lost by 1 goal this season he surely would of produced something Nigelesc to get something out of the game.

I agree as many said could be lazy etc at times and I was his critic as much as many others but looking at out squad it's full of "hard working honest pros" but no one with the unpredictable magic on occasions?

I don't actually think Nigel was lazy at all. It's just a myth pedalled about that style of player. Jason Scotland got the same. He did most of his running with the ball - you expend much more energy doing that than you do chasing down lost causes. He wasn't a Savo but he certainly wasn't lazy.

Could be wrong, but at the time we let him go we were still under the impression that Stevie's agent would do business on a new deal. It was only some weeks after that it became appartent he had no intenton of letting May sign a new deal with us.

Nigel was a good impact player, however, if it was correct that he was one of our highest wage earners...did he deserve to be?

SB said May said he was going to sign then 2 days later he was down south talking to Rotherham. His agent wanted him to move & he ended up at Sheffield Wed. Mind you with a 4 yr deal on offer at much higher wages you can't blame him. By that time Nigel was away. TW said he tried to contact him but Nigel didn't take his calls so there wasn't much Saints could do about it. It was reported that he was 1 of our highest paid players.

Now this is just my opinion only. Nige was a lazy chunt who didnt really care for the club that much or if he did he might have put a bit of effort in. . Now this is based on only live games on TV. Im glad he is gone and never want him back again. Just my opinion.

Nigel finished as one of the top few players in WAP's 'Man of the Match' polls last season. I think that says a lot about the greater level of consistency he found and the quality of his performances in general. He was one of the few players who was actually capable of creating chances and scoring goals. I find it bizarre that anyone would 'never' want one of our better players back, especially considering how much we are struggling at the moment. I realise you are only basing it on live TV games, but I don't think many people would think of commenting negatively on a player's overall season contribution if they had only seen a few live games on TV.