Owen Coyle for Dunfermline?

oldsaintee

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Article From Paper

PARS chiefs were remaining tight-lipped this week as the search for a new boss neared its conclusion.

A successor to Jim Leishman, who stepped down as team boss on Thursday to resume his director of football role, is likely to be named early next week.

Leishman and chairman John Yorkston are currently speaking to four men from a shortlist drawn up by the board on Monday night.

They refused point blank to reveal the names on the list but Yorkston confirmed to Press Sport last night (Wednesday) that list does contain two shock contenders.

“There are a couple of folk people would expect to be on the list and there are a couple of folk people wouldnÂ’t expect,†he said. “But there are no further developments as far as we are concerned.Ââ€

Former Pars stars Ian Ferguson and Davie Irons were the latest in a long line of names linked with the job yesterday as the tabloid rumour mill went into overdrive. But Press Sport can reveal neither is a candidate while former Hibs and Kilmarnock boss Bobby Williamson was also told on Tuesday morning he had not made the shortlist.

Terry Butcher ruled himself out of the running yesterday, while former India boss Stephen Constantine – linked with the job in the past – was also told on Tuesday he’d failed to make the final four.

Owen Coyle, Paul Sturrock, Ian McCall, Jim Duffy, Alex Smith, Tommy McLean, Donald Park, Jocky Scott, Craig Levein, Craig Brewster, John Robertson, Uncle Tom Cobbley and all have also been linked with the job.

ItÂ’s most likely that former Pars hero Brewster and, possibly, John Robertson, are the two expected names. Coyle could be a surprise contender and former Aberdeen boss Smith watched from the stands as the Pars drew at Tynecastle on Saturday.

Yorkston said the board didn’t have a first choice and revealed that Leishman could help take the burden off the new man by dealing with players’ contract talks and agents. “We are sounding out a few folk and we are in the process of speaking to folk but no offer has been made to anyone either now or in the past,†Yorkston stated.

“Some folk we know quite well, so maybe a formal interview is not needed. It will be a hard push to appoint someone before Saturday’s game so it will probably be next week.

“Whoever comes in has got two months to assess the squad before the transfer window, when they can wheel and deal if required, although I personally think the squad is strong enough, if we can get them all on the park, to be mid-table.Ââ€

Speaking of the sort of choices facing the club, Yorkston said, “Do we go for the experienced man? We did that with Davie Hay and it didnÂ’t work but does that rule out any experienced managers in the future? Do we go for inexperience that may or may not work out? I think everybody thought Dundee United had made a good appointment with Craig Brewster but for whatever reason it didnÂ’t work. Nine months ago I think Brewster would have been top of most folkÂ’s list.Ââ€

Referring to LeishmanÂ’s future role, Yorkston explained, “It all depends on the manager we bring in. Jim might get involved in contracts and that type of thing but there would be no interference and he would not be involved with team selection or tactics. What we are looking for first and foremost is a manager to work with the players and get the best out of the players and if that means Jim Leishman has to take some of the burden off them dealing with agents then he will do that.Ââ€

The new man will probably work alongside Craig Robertson initially as Yorkston explained, “When Jimmy Calderwood came in, we asked him to work with Jimmy Nicholl. It gives you someone familiar with the club and the players.Ââ€

There are 3 managers on the shortlist - one of which is not David Robertson of Montrose (see todays Courier).

If Brewster is one, then he might not be for much longer as he is over in Greece watching his old club Ionikos, with a view to taking over as manager following their match with Skoda Xanthi (from the BBC website).

Coyle may be a contender but I would hope see it as a similar challenge as to what he has here (being in the SPL next season) and as someone who is only 15 months into his managerial career and knowing he has a chairman here who is prepared to spend enough to get out of the league, I wouldn't think OC will be leaving us for the Pars at this moment in time.

if coyle goes, who does come in?

the sturrock wont happen in a million years before anyone tries that shift.

we are lucky to have coyle, not many more good options out there for us unless some of the higher calibre bosses out of work are willing to drop to our level.

If you look at our squad, and what it can sometimes produce (Thistle away, United in the Cup etc...) does it not bother you that we rarely get near the standard we can and should be producing?

Personally I feel a manager with a bit more tactical nous than Coyle could achieve so much more with these players.

It's a fair point to ask me to come up with a name and I'm not convinced Sturrock wouldn't return. I'm not usually one for wanting these well kent faces to get the job but a guy with some experience could do really well with this squad IMO.

fair play my man but i sometimes think (me included) that we expect too much from our current crop of players. our best players do generally do the business for us, SCOTLAND, SHEERIN, SAVO, STANIC. maybe the rest of the squad isnt as good as we expect them to be. maybe coyle is getting all that he can out of them. i could be wrong, i could be right but i think it would take a manager of some experience to do any better and we aint in a position to attract that sort of man at the moment.

To be honest I'd be pretty shocked if OC turned out to be a serious contender for the job. There are better candidates available - OC's doing a decent job at Saints for a beginner, but he's also making mistakes and clearly still has a lot to learn. I'm actually surprised his name is even being mentioned as being anywhere near ready to take that sort of step up. I really think it would be too much for him and he'd probably struggle. If I was a Dunfermline fan I'd definitely favour Craig Brewster ahead of Owen Coye.

The hypothetical debate about who would take over if Coyle went is always fun though. Up until a couple of weeks ago, I'd probably have said Mixu would be one of my favourites for the Saints job if it was available. Having come out of the last few years alive though, to be honest I'm pretty content with anyone these days as long as they're not called Billy Stark (or Tommy Burns)!

i could be wrong, i could be right but i think it would take a manager of some experience to do any better and we aint in a position to attract that sort of man at the moment.

Agreed, replacing Coyle for anyone would be a risk at this point in the season. We are well in the mix and a new gaffer could unsettle us. Any possible manager that would be more suitable than Coyle would be out our league.

Looking at the list, there are better options than Owen Coyle for Dunfermline for sure. I'd be disappointed if he saw them as a better option than us purely on account of them already being in the SPL. He's a title contender here, he'd go straight avoiding relegation there with a poor squad that someone else built. Unattractive proposition that - if it goes wrong - could send his very young managerial career into ruins.

He should play it safe, stay here and finish what he has started.

Talking about how well Mixu has done, didn't he want to become a coach with us but we didn't let him?

Yes but was it not Stark who wouldn't offer him a coaching contract, it wasnt the first time that man made the wrong decision with us!

Or have i got that wrong?

I can't imagine for a minute that OC is a serious contender for the Dunfermline job. For a kick-off he hasn't achieved anything yet and I doubt whether they would even consider him at this time. Secondly, Livi have already stressed that Dunfermline would need to cough up more than £50k to get Robertson so I would think that Geoff will want roughly the same for Coyle and I think they've hinted that they'd rather not go for someone where compensation would be due.

Coyle will be here for a long time yet and will lead us back to the SPL :D

Stark made Mixu a coach. John Connolly told him he only wanted him to play, not to coach, Mixu said thanks a lot and went to Love Street where he combined coaching and playing.

Billy Stark looks like Mourinho in comparison to Connolly.

Sir John Connolly was a legend and still is in my eyes. Stark, and your hero Clark, were numpties.

Stark made Mixu a coach. John Connolly told him he only wanted him to play, not to coach, Mixu said thanks a lot and went to Love Street where he combined coaching and playing.

Billy Stark looks like Mourinho in comparison to Connolly.

I stand corrected, I recall the situatuation now....Your right Stark done a hell of alot better that connolly, but that just goes to show how the man failed with us.