Child Benefit

Fair Maid

didnt say they were the answer to poverty I said the food vouchers would go further in there than tesco. You can easily buy the ingredients and cook a decent enough meal for four for well under a tenner from any of those shops. Surely better than a McDonald's meal that many kids have as their diet

Do you genuinely believe you could provide a balanced, nutritious family meal from either B&M or a Poundshop?

IMO these are our options;

(i)  increase immigration for migrants of child bareing age

(ii) incentivise having children through tax breaks and benefits

(iii) Pipe Barry White records into peoples bedrooms

(iv) Listen to invidious bigoted morons who cannot see past the end of there effin noses and watch our society crumble

I would favour a combination of the first three.

All those options are dire. Increasing immigration or increasing birth rates simply as a way of funding future pensions strikes me as far too similar to the pyramid scheme model. It's unsustainable: what happens when our immigrants or children reach pensionable age at a time when life expectancy may be even higher: will we then require ever-greater immigration and ever-higher birthright to fund those. Eventually it's all going to collapse. I'd rather we addressed our financial shortcomings ourselves rather than lump a future generation with them.

Bring back the gas chambers if you are unemployed , disabled, have mental illness lets get rid off them.

Cant get a job where are the 40 hour a week jobs even if you are that lucky £6.31 a hour, council tax, utilities, travel to work costs you work it out

Lets degrade people give them vouchers to queue up and degrade

Some off the  comments on here sicken me .

Hope Karma comes round.

Bring back the gas chambers if you are unemployed , disabled, have mental illness lets get rid off them.

Cant get a job where are the 40 hour a week jobs even if you are that lucky £6.31 a hour, council tax, utilities, travel to work costs you work it out

Some off the comments on here sicken me .

Hope Karma comes round.

Mostly agree with the sentiment 60's. However, I would not wish homelessness, poverty or deprivation on anybody.

Rik - which comment are you addressing with those links, and what point are you trying to make? I hope I've made clear that I've no argument with the many benefits of immigration, but neither it, nor an increasing birth rate, can be a sustainable answer to our pensions shortfall for the reasons I explained earlier.

Some off the  comments on here sicken me .

Hope Karma comes round.

Sixties - it was me who mentioned vouchers. Are you assuming I hold the views I've just quoted and is your final comment directed at me?

Here is the problem. Scotland has a rapidly ageing population...pensions are paid by those in work.....if current trends are not arrested, Scotland will have more people on pensions and benefits than in work and no modern economy can sustain in these circumstances...... Scotland will become a basket case with standards of living, infrastructure, healthcare, education taking a nose dive..... therefore anyone with half a brain cell can see that we must increase the birthrate quickly, so as to  increase the number of those among us who are of working age going forward.  IMO these are our options;

(i)  increase immigration for migrants of child bareing age

(ii) incentivise having children through tax breaks and benefits

(iii) Pipe Barry White records into peoples bedrooms

(iv) Listen to invidious bigoted morons who cannot see past the end of there effin noses and watch our society crumble

I would favour a combination of the first three.

id go for

1 teach children the 65ish pension age is a fallacy, it'll be at least 75 by the time they retire. reality is a bitch.

2 education, education, education - its the only thing that can earn you decent money in youre lifetime - FFS we all get it "free"

3 as with our club - cut your cloth. If you cant afford it, dont have it. whether thats ferrarris. houses or kids.

4 never rely on the state, benefits are always the first to be cut by every government

All those options are dire. Increasing immigration or increasing birth rates simply as a way of funding future pensions strikes me as far too similar to the pyramid scheme model. It's unsustainable: what happens when our immigrants or children reach pensionable age at a time when life expectancy may be even higher: will we then require ever-greater immigration and ever-higher birthright to fund those. Eventually it's all going to collapse. I'd rather we addressed our financial shortcomings ourselves rather than lump a future generation with them.

Sorry Brogan I'm not having it...Christmas or not that is an effin liberty....and you better take it back! :twisted:

There is nothing dire about the Walrus of Luv!

I'd like to know if things have improved since they disbanded the CSA and set up that new system. Is it working? The whole premise of deducting "x" amount of money at source from the wages or personal benefit allowance from the non-care taking parent strikes me as a better practice than taking away child benefit.

No the comment wasnt aimed at you, the voucher bit annoyed me as i do not like to see people stigmatisied.

With the caveat that I didn't advocate vouchers, here's why I think they might be worth investigating.

First, child benefit no longer has its original purpose. It was intended on its introduction to ensure that those with large families weren't penalised at a time when Britain needed a higher birth rate. I don't think it was even given to the first child; only second and subsequent children. Equally child benefit shouldn't be thought of as a flat benefit for poor people - it was, until a couple of years ago, universal, and there are simpler channels to help to the less well off.

So its remaining value, surely, is to ensure that all our children are fed and clothed properly. Does it fulfil that purpose? No. The stats on nutrition and dental health in this country could be confused with those of a third world nation. For all sorts of reasons, some children are not getting the diet they need to grow up healthily. So why not encourage good diet, or good healthcare by offering goods in kind rather than cash?

I'm surprised you see that approach as implying any sort of stigma, any more than Tesco vouchers or ration books.

. The stats on nutrition and dental health in this country could be confused with those of a third world nation. For all sorts of reasons, some children are not getting the diet they need to grow up healthily. So why not encourage good diet, or good healthcare by offering goods in kind rather than cash?

"Free" school lunches for every kid, along with an education of whats in them, how to cook them, and why you need to eat them. Breakfast clubs seem to be a bit of hit in some areas too. And bring back milk, i remember when it was snatched   :(

As an ex-Grammar pupil, like most, lunchtime was spent at the Good Luck on the Dunkeld Road and buying a single and a match from the shop next door. Hardly the healthiest of diets (although i do admit the guilty pleasure of the occassional chips and curry when i make it back to Perth)

With the caveat that I didn't advocate vouchers, here's why I think they might be worth investigating.

First, child benefit no longer has its original purpose. It was intended on its introduction to ensure that those with large families weren't penalised at a time when Britain needed a higher birth rate. I don't think it was even given to the first child; only second and subsequent children. Equally child benefit shouldn't be thought of as a flat benefit for poor people - it was, until a couple of years ago, universal, and there are simpler channels to help to the less well off.

So its remaining value, surely, is to ensure that all our children are fed and clothed properly. Does it fulfil that purpose? No. The stats on nutrition and dental health in this country could be confused with those of a third world nation. For all sorts of reasons, some children are not getting the diet they need to grow up healthily. So why not encourage good diet, or good healthcare by offering goods in kind rather than cash?

I'm surprised you see that approach as implying any sort of stigma, any more than Tesco vouchers or ration books.

Some interesting things there Brogan will go away and have a wee think

Do think Child Allowance should stop if you are earning 50 K.

Foodbanks rik2304 are used by many people who will spend their benefits on fags, alcohol and drugs before buying food because they no they can rely on these lovely Foodbanks that are being setup. Not all foodbank users are like that I may add

Where do you get your facts from?

Are they available on line?

Are statistics kept?

How do you know the type of customer using this facility?

Do food banks keep a breakdown of referrals? ... Are recipients asked if they are working/in receipt of benefit?

Don't mean to sound like I am getting at you, however in the absence of your evidence it sounds like some unconscious bias is being used on your part.

Child Benefit, historically paid direct to the mother who would have access to money should she be the victim of an abusive spouse, likely to drink wages/welfare away.

Only in exceptional circumstances paid to males unless lone parent responsible for child.

In today's climate with domestic violence just as prevalent & not just exclusive to working class folk the safety net of universal child benefit just as pertinent.