Paris

THE REBEL SAINT

It's high time other Arab countries got involved in sorting out ISIS and all the other vermin, this cannot be done by the West and Russia on its own.

If this had happened in Tel Aviv on Friday ISIS would already be smashed to smithereens.

I hope Sturgeon and Yousaf have done proper checks on the plane load of Syrians that are due to land in Glasgow on Thursday or will it be a game of refugee roulette.

Going to Tel Aviv next weekend. Should be interesting.  

Feel fairly conflicted about the chimera of who is to blame, what should be done and how etc.

All I know is Islam needs a new PR machine!

Hollande will try to persuade the Yanks and us to put boots on the ground in Syria. I don't think it will happen, so expect the French to ramp up the air strikes and put some special forces in.

quite ....willing to listen to you on this, how do you think it will play out? As in.....we knew post 9/11 what was coming...US go mental....france tho?

I think the argument of let's not attack them and wind them up to take revenge on us is flawed. I believe these guys will keep attacking us regardless of what we do (or don't do). It's time for an international coalition of forces, including those from the Arab World, and even the Russians, to go and clean house there. Obama and Cameron are both shitting themselves that they'll be vilified like Blair was. How many other people need to be kidnapped, beheaded, bombed, machine gunned, drowned in a rubber boat before they discover their courage. Leaders of the free world my arse.

Go back and look at American policy from the 50s they have been behind all the dirty dealings,aided and abetted by British / French securities,  take off your rose tinted glasses.

Do I have rose tinted spectacles or are you looking for something that isn't there?

Any kind of spin can be put on any situation, people will believe that they want to and often need little convincing.

Didn't the Americans deliberately bomb a hospital and kill loads of patients and doctors and nurses from MSF a few weeks ago? A self-evident war crime? No? Nah, that didn't happen, cos most of the dead had brown skin. 

They sure as hell did after the Yankee ****ers had finished burning them to death.

in the same vein Abernethy, why is nobody giving the same sympathy to Lebanon as they are giving to France?

Hidden agenda's at work here I think.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-34805466

Can you imagine if 276 school girls were kidnapped from a British, American or French school? Its pretty sickening to me how you barely see this ever covered on American news (perhaps its on in the uk) nor that western powers have jumped in to help find these people. Maybe they have and we don't know I guess....

I agree with above comments in general, we have been bedding the Saudi's for years for obvious reasons (politically) and its time to cut that chord and/or put them on notice to be part of addressing these issues at their root and hold them to it. And clearly I would hope we all agree that wars conducted for similar reasons like Iraq are stupid beyond belief.

Short-term, as expected the French are on an aggressive bombing campaign....I still don't see how that is going to do anything other than make Paris a dangerous place for the ongoing future.

--- Abernathy --- some more research on Belgium and the gun issue.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/worldviews/wp/2015/11/16/frances-real-gun-problem/

It's also perhaps important to note that much of the planning for the attacks in Paris may have taken place in neighboring Belgium, which appears to have become a regional hub for weapons.....

To get a sense of how different things could have been for France and other countries in the Schengen area without this illegal trade in guns, consider the case of Britain — not only a non-member of the Schengen area, but also an island. Britain is a country with many problems and has its fair share of organized crime.....However, gun crime is generally rare in the country, a reflection of the fact that guns themselves are rare.  A Paris-style shooting isn't impossible in Britain, but it would be significantly harder to organize. 

Can you imagine if 276 school girls were kidnapped from a British, American or French school? Its pretty sickening to me how you barely see this ever covered on American news (perhaps its on in the uk) nor that western powers have jumped in to help find these people. Maybe they have and we don't know I guess....

I agree with above comments in general, we have been bedding the Saudi's for years for obvious reasons (politically) and its time to cut that chord and/or put them on notice to be part of addressing these issues at their root and hold them to it. And clearly I would hope we all agree that wars conducted for similar reasons like Iraq are stupid beyond belief.

Short-term, as expected the French are on an aggressive bombing campaign....I still don't see how that is going to do anything other than make Paris a dangerous place for the ongoing future.

--- Abernathy --- some more research on Belgium and the gun issue.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/worldviews/wp/2015/11/16/frances-real-gun-problem/

It's also perhaps important to note that much of the planning for the attacks in Paris may have taken place in neighboring Belgium, which appears to have become a regional hub for weapons.....

To get a sense of how different things could have been for France and other countries in the Schengen area without this illegal trade in guns, consider the case of Britain — not only a non-member of the Schengen area, but also an island. Britain is a country with many problems and has its fair share of organized crime.....However, gun crime is generally rare in the country, a reflection of the fact that guns themselves are rare.  A Paris-style shooting isn't impossible in Britain, but it would be significantly harder to organize. 

If you're referring to the Nigerian girls who were kidnapped, I was i Nigeria at the time and many of my colleagues said that it was massively over estimated the amount who were kidnapped.

That said, when in Nigeria I hear of whole villages that are wiped out by Boko Haram and the west hears nothing of it.

I suspect that the reason we don't hear about there bombings etc from other countries as it's more the norm there, not saying that makes it ok but when a bomb goes off in Europe of USA then it's big news as it rarely happens.

Much like in the USA when a shooting happens it's not news as it happens so often but if it were to happen in the UK it's front page news.

Do I have rose tinted spectacles or are you looking for something that isn't there?

Any kind of spin can be put on any situation, people will believe that they want to and often need little convincing.

You are absolutely correct about your 2nd point, anyone can and will put their own spin anything, including the West. Everything that is in the so called news is spun so it suits the Western agenda.

Is it that hard to believe that we aren't the good guys in all of this? 1 thing for sure is we certainly aren't innocent in whats happened in the Middle East.

"1 thing for sure is we certainly aren't innocent in whats happened in the Middle East."
^^^ This

Unfortunately the latest calls for bombing "them" into submission, would be yet another short term sticking plaster, killing the
bad guys now, but doing nothing to solve the long term problems.
The west has spent at least the last 100 years propping up/arming/ and then attacking pretty much every country in the middle east.
Is it Eastasia or Eurasia we're at war with this week?

The Governments of Kuwait, Qatar, and Saudi Arabia were indeed funding IS at one point, in order to use them as a proxy for pushing the anti-Shi'ite line. Once it became clear how bad these boys were, they yanked the funding. Of course there are a great many high net worth individuals in that part of the world and some are continuing to support IS.

As to bombing the Saudis, it's a case of my enemy's enemy is my friend, not to mention all the money they spend with us. Sickening I know, but the Sauds do help out against IS and other terrorist outfits so it's worth keeping them onside.

Sickening I know, but the Sauds do help out against IS and other terrorist outfits so it's worth keeping them onside.

Aye, just like when they "werent" supporting Al-Queda! That Osama bloke had no Saudi links!!!!!!

The middle east , in fact the wider world, would be a far better place without the house of saud. Any country that has a human rights record that would make China blush, should not be considered a friend.

I'm not suggesting we endorse their culture or way of life - they pay good money and help us so let's take both while secretly despising them. It's called realpolitik.

...and then some of them plant airliners straight into skyscrapers.

9/11 was pretty much all saud, and the extended bin laden family where all spirited out of the US even tho there was a no fly zone