Dobbie released?

Broon

I think the post refers to him being released by Sons. Coyle has been reported as looking for a striker as feels the midfield has been criticised but it is not the only part of the team that needs streathening ,unquote.

We certainly need a goalie as back up for Cuthbert :wink: I see Corr & Ferguson are available

• 2 years later...

I stand by what I said almost 2 and a half years ago. Stephen Dobbie is a quality striker, better than any other in the division, and it would have made the world of difference to have had him playing for us this season. I always thought he was capable even when he was 'overweight', and it was a shame that Coyle didn't agree. Oh well, we can't change the past. Maybe he'll return some day..

It was bloody obvious watching Dobbie at Saints that he was a terrific player who never got a chance. Coyle was such an arrogant t*** he couldnt see it.

There was no doubting his quality but at the time he was here, he didn't show it often enough. I can only recall a handful of games where he did anything useful. I think it was his alleged penchant for fast food and the accompanied weight problem that Coyle got fed up and got rid of him as he quite probably didn't follow advice given to him.

As Bruno said, being released by Saints was the biggest kick up the backside he needed to get his career back on track. I'm sure he admitted as much in the press not long after he joined QOS

Do you not think Dobbie has improved with Billy Dodds coaching him? Maybe we need a forward coach at least two or three days a week for all our forwards. JC as a player was a natural and you couldn't pass that on because he picked the ball up in midfield and created openings all over the place but maybe today for out and out forwards we could get Billy Dodds in twice a week. :shock:

Hindsight is great though, isn't it? Does anyone deny Dobbie is a fantastic player now? I doubt it. But this is a guy that scored just 3 league goals about 35 appearances for the club.

At the time, Jason Scotland was our number one striker and, I think correctly, Coyle felt they couldn't play together. Even ignoring that though, Savo had scored 14 goals before New Year and Peaso was developing an outstanding partnership with Scotland. It was hard to make a case for him to be anything but fourth choice striker and he was understandably unhappy with that.

We can now all see we should have kept him for the next season (or instead of Lerek Dilley) when Scotland had left for Swansea but it's one of those things and there remains no doubt he's a much improved player now. He never performed for Saints as he did for Queens yesterday.

Hindsight is great though, isn't it? Does anyone deny Dobbie is a fantastic player now? I doubt it. But this is a guy that scored just 3 league goals about 35 appearances for the club.

At the time, Jason Scotland was our number one striker and, I think correctly, Coyle felt they couldn't play together. Even ignoring that though, Savo had scored 14 goals before New Year and Peaso was developing an outstanding partnership with Scotland. It was hard to make a case for him to be anything but fourth choice striker and he was understandably unhappy with that.

Scotland and Dobbie could have been a terrific partnership though - I' remember a game at Hamilton where they got a rare run-out together and were absolutely superb playing off each other. And I think the point is that it's not really a case of hindsight, as there were lots of us saying these very same things at the time when Coyle still had him at Saints but was ignoring him, sending him out on loan and eventually releasing him.

Of course it'll all in the past now, but I think Coyle was guilty of a massive mistake with this one, which should have been avoided, and now it's well and truly come back to bite us on the bum cheeks.

2 and a half years ago now.

Think this link should be locked.

I agree he is a good player but lacks pace to beat players. He looked good yesterday due to our defenders being sh*t scared of him and not putting a tackle in. If you give any player that amount of time they will beat you.

Still agree though, he is a good player. Better than the pische we have up front the now.

why do you think players are shit scared to put a tackle in st mikey? its because he will likely skin them, in many ways he is like jason scotland and has the ability to strike fear into the opponents when he has the balled at his feet, whilst not as good as jase he certainly has the ability to take defences apart

Pace isn't necessary for a striker when he has such a good footballing brain. Dobbie is an all-round better striker than, say, Collin Samuel. The latter has plenty of pace, but I don't necessarily think he knows instinctively what to do with the ball when he has it at his feet, other than run and hope for the best. Unlike him, Dobbie is an intelligent player, and what he does with the ball seems almost planned in advance.

Pace isn't necessary for a striker when he has such a good footballing brain. Dobbie is an all-round better striker than, say, Collin Samuel. The latter has plenty of pace, but I don't necessarily think he knows instinctively what to do with the ball when he has it at his feet, other than run and hope for the best. Unlike him, Dobbie is an intelligent player, and what he does with the ball seems almost planned in advance.

i rather samuel playing on the wing