Updates saintees v airdrie

pezza70

The worrying thing is the manner of this defeat. Defence were clueless. Ruti, James and Anderson (who had a howler) are all liabilities. Sheerin and Mensing looked lost in the middle. Henry, although he tried to create something when he could, was simply being muscled off the ball. Savo had an off day, I'm not really sure what position Stevenson was meant to be playing, but Jason was our best performer. Dobbie? Dear, oh dear... To be honest, it always looked a huge effort for us to get forward, and our play looked awkward and shapeless. One bright note was that Doris looked lively when he came on. Roll on the transfer window.Herts

Don't agree that things were near as bad as posted here.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dobbie for Scotland at half time was enforced due to an injury Scotland picked up when shooting in the first half. Kevin Fotheringham replaced Henry to sit at centre half and allow James to go up top in a 4-3-3.

Mensing was heading for a red card (as I said to Messrs Alahan and Beatson from the forum) although I disappeared with a couple of minute's injury time left as we were rank roten so did not see the 2nd booking.

The big problem is we are so bloody predictable. Things arent going our way - throw James up front. Rubbish.

Doris has shown more in one half for Saints than Milne has for months - give him a start. Dobbie isnt good enough either. Also, we are so weak in the middle - muscled out of every 50/50. I also think we need an intelligent central defender. Ruti and James are good in the air but awful when players run at them.

Now, the positives.

We do manage to create chances - Stevenson had 4 very good ones today and could easily have had a couple of goals. If we can try and play the ball on the deck a little more we would be so much better than we are.

The big problem is we are so bloody predictable. Things arent going our way - throw James up front. Rubbish.

Doris has shown more in one half for Saints than Milne has for months - give him a start. Dobbie isnt good enough either. Also, we are so weak in the middle - muscled out of every 50/50. I also think we need an intelligent central defender. Ruti and James are good in the air but awful when players run at them.

Now, the positives.

We do manage to create chances - Stevenson had 4 very good ones today and could easily have had a couple of goals. If we can try and play the ball on the deck a little more we would be so much better than we are.

That is spot on Broon - Savo is lacking in confidence and needs a goal desperately but Doris nearly had one with his first effors in the match!!! He is definitely worth a shout against a Dundee defence that is shockingly slow.

On the other hand, the decision may be forced as Scotland's injury looked like a hamstring strain from his shot (he should have been taken off immediately) so he would more than likely be missing on Monday.

On the other hand, the decision may be forced as Scotland's injury looked like a hamstring strain from his shot (he should have been taken off immediately) so he would more than likely be missing on Monday.

Thought it was more a knock than a muscle injury he got treatment to the front of his leg i thought.

Just back from the game - have to say, today was very, very dissapointing. I felt first 20 mins we were excellent, good running off the ball, good tempo and short, accurate passing, culminating in the penalty and then goal. And then for some reason we decided to start defending like a pub team. Very clumsy challenge by James for their pen, and the defending for the second goal was just catastrophic.

Still at 2-1 I still felt we could at least get a point from the game, but the second half performance was extremely poor in my opinion. We seemed to forget everything that we did well in the first 20 mins, and resorted to simple high punts up the pitch, completely missing out the midfield. You could praise Coyle for pushing James upfront as an attacking move, but in my opinion it was a mistake. It just left us far too one dimensional, and Airdrie coped with him pretty easily. Its an understandable move in the last 10 mins, but with half an hour to go there was plenty of time to keep trying to play football, and bringing Doris on or Jancyzk for more creativity from the midfield would have been a better move IMO.

All in all, I don't feel we deserved anything from the game. We had a couple of chances late on to get a point, but then Prunty missed a sitter for them which would have made it academic. Airdrie deserved their win. As for positives, I felt Mensing did well in midfield until he was harshly sent off, and Doris was more threatening in his first 5 mins on the pitch than Milne was for his 70. If Scotland's fit on Monday, I would like to see Doris play alongside him. Milne seems to need a break.

Today showed we have a lot of work to do if we're going to have any chance of challenging for the title - at least three quality signings are a must IMO.

Forgot to add, nice to see K Fotheringham back who slotted in well and played some decent stuff.

I agree, it's been a long time. He seemed to calm Ruti down a bit too.

I think we need a couple of players who are going to have a settling influence, as there seems to be a sort of panic in our play all the time. All too often today we saw Saints players clearing their lines with some mindless, aimless punt up the park. OK if you're under pressure, but when a defender with some time had the ball, it still was played long and high up the middle to nobody in particular. Even when we did get the ball in a position to deliver a decent ball into the box, the cross was hurried and the Airdrie defence dealt with it. It was obvious today that we badly need a wide player (or two) to provide some quality service into the box - Sheerin and Ryan are not natural wide players and drift inside far too often. There were more than several occasions today when we might have created something from a situation on the edge of the pitch in midfield if they'd only stayed wide.

Herts

Disgraceful stuff today!!!

I dont know where to start!! Anderson is a very good actor, cause no ****in way he is a footballer, he couldnt even kick the ball!!!, James is shite on the ground and missed most headers today, Thankfully Ruti had a resonable game! Stanic never made a mistake but never stood out. Sheerin...well wizard my arse hole, he was crap, what did he bring today except the penalty?...he doesnt spread the play, when he's playin left mid, hes in the centre giving there players all the time and space in the world up the wings, when he gets the ball, he isn't capable of taking the man on, so he hoofs it up hoping wee milnes gonna get it. Mensing plays wrestling no football, Henry couln't hold his own weight let alone anyone else, and is creating **** all, he's suppose to be the play maker in his role....HaHa, and Stevo was excellent today, yes he missed the chance early on, and had a late effort cleared, but he worked his arse off, and thats what I like to see, aslong as the players are working hard and look like they give a shit ill be happy. Milne worked his socks off, but gets caught trying to do other peoples work, mainly Henrys, and then gets caught out of position when attacking, and Scotland offered nothing today, looked to lazy to jog than run today!

Big changes need to be made, that performance today looked like a John Connolly team, no organisation, no discipline and no effort.

il probably regret some things I've said and feel I was to harsh tomorrow, but Im pissed off after watching that.

Thought it was a rotten performance today - totally unacceptable. We started well enough but once they equalised we totally lost our shape and discipline. There was no passing from the defence other than a hump up the park. Mensing did ok in midfield but once on a booking was looking dodgy (continual dissent to the ref didnt do him any favours). Henry is too poor - he had the odd run (about 5 yards) before losing the ball. Unable to keep possession or play an early pass he's becoming a liability. Stevenson was ok in the first half and seems to be the only one able to link up with a striker but again faded badly.

We missed Scotland when he went off - Dobbie has had too many chances IMHO to show he still wants to play for Saints and I'd have Doris or Jackson in the side in front of him. As for Savo there's no faulting his workrate but without the service from midfield he's too ineffective - especially if Coyle is going to persist with this bloody long ball tactic. We all know Kevin James is a perfect target man but do we have to send every bloody ball his way? Given the sort of flowing football we saw from this side at the start of the season, I'm sick and tired of seeing us resort to the hump up the park every time. There's no imagination or creativity at set pieces with James targeted every time and I could probably count on the fingers of one hand how many good passes along the ground we made today. It wouldn't be so bad if we were getting results but we're not.

My other big concern from today (and the County game) is the general fitness of the side. Too many players were struggling for pace today - how many times did Stanic, Pamela, Sheerin etc lose a 1-on-1 race for the ball or lack the sharpness to their play to make an early pass. We're being caught in possession too much and don't seem to have the ability or momentum to take the game to our opponents.

All I can say is that there had better be a bloody improvement by Monday. As it is I think we're going backwards in our style of play and just as importantly the entertainment on the park.

Just back from the game - have to say, today was very, very dissapointing. I felt first 20 mins we were excellent, good running off the ball, good tempo and short, accurate passing, culminating in the penalty and then goal. And then for some reason we decided to start defending like a pub team. Very clumsy challenge by James for their pen, and the defending for the second goal was just catastrophic.

Still at 2-1 I still felt we could at least get a point from the game, but the second half performance was extremely poor in my opinion. We seemed to forget everything that we did well in the first 20 mins, and resorted to simple high punts up the pitch, completely missing out the midfield. You could praise Coyle for pushing James upfront as an attacking move, but in my opinion it was a mistake. It just left us far too one dimensional, and Airdrie coped with him pretty easily. Its an understandable move in the last 10 mins, but with half an hour to go there was plenty of time to keep trying to play football, and bringing Doris on or Jancyzk for more creativity from the midfield would have been a better move IMO.

All in all, I don't feel we deserved anything from the game. We had a couple of chances late on to get a point, but then Prunty missed a sitter for them which would have made it academic. Airdrie deserved their win. As for positives, I felt Mensing did well in midfield until he was harshly sent off, and Doris was more threatening in his first 5 mins on the pitch than Milne was for his 70. If Scotland's fit on Monday, I would like to see Doris play alongside him. Milne seems to need a break.

Today showed we have a lot of work to do if we're going to have any chance of challenging for the title - at least three quality signings are a must IMO.

much like our game there in august, fine until the equaliser, terrible after.

Goodness me! Should we keep kidding ourselves that we can win this league? We havn't a hope in hell!

How can these 'players' seriously be called professionals. Anderson is a disgrace, i have never rated him, he is utter pish and today it has gone too far. Because there is not left footed player in the midfield every time they retreat the ball goes right, thus to Ando and he hasn't a clue what to do. This is blatantly obvious - surely Owen should 'manage' to work it out! Also building from the back - it always goes right - how on earth can you build with that, he can't even punt the ball for christ sakes.

Saints had the odd have chance today but at times they didn't look close to creating anything. Every ball in the final third was either a flick on or a blind pass. PUNT after PUNT after PUNT PUNT PUNT!! For 15 quid that is shite! Lets hope Dundee are just as gash on Monday!

Goodness me! Should we keep kidding ourselves that we can win this league? We havn't a hope in hell!

How can these 'players' seriously be called professionals. Anderson is a disgrace, i have never rated him, he is utter pish and today it has gone too far. Because there is not left footed player in the midfield every time they retreat the ball goes right, thus to Ando and he hasn't a clue what to do. This is blatantly obvious - surely Owen should 'manage' to work it out! Also building from the back - it always goes right - how on earth can you build with that, he can't even punt the ball for christ sakes.

Saints had the odd have chance today but at times they didn't look close to creating anything. Every ball in the final third was either a flick on or a blind pass. PUNT after PUNT after PUNT PUNT PUNT!! For 15 quid that is shite! Lets hope Dundee are just as gash on Monday!

I feel exactly the same!!!

The posts really sum up our season and a big question mark against the management.

We have struggled without a right back all season, the central defence is okay if nobody runs at them, midfield is woefully slow, inept and clueless and up front we have headless chickens.

If I was a player in the Saints squad in these positions especially and not being given a chance, I would be looking to leave. I would not blame Dyer, McManus, Scrabble if they choose to join McInespie and Paterson. By Coyle's own admission, McInespie was fit for a few weeks and still did not get a chance to show what he could do when the midfield has been crying out for some pace and width.

As for fitness I have brought this up many times and been shot down but it is there for all to see.

New signings, players and backroom are needed. When Saints mark 2 visit next saturday I fear the worst.

I agree he's been poor at right back but last season when he was forced to switch to centre-half he was a much better player. As it is he lacks confidence and any sort of ability to distribute the ball from defence - our back 4 are more concerned with getting the ball clear than worrying about whether the ball will find a teammate (never mind the stupid situation where we seem to have 10 men in the box and one sole striker who doesn't stand a chance of picking up the scraps from defence)

We all know Kevin James is a perfect target man but do we have to send every bloody ball his way?

That was the biggest problem of the lot yesterday - as Nick has already pointed out - James hardly won a header all day, in either defence or attack, gave away the penalty, was at fault for the second goal, kept screaming at Ando to cover player X and then giving him a row for not covering player Y (no wonder the lads confidence is shot). The one nice touch was when Ando asked James if it was o/k for him to take a throw in as he didn't want to out of position!! (Not his exact words but do not wish to offend the mods all ready :roll: ).

Roll on Monday and 'last chance saloon' for these guys to show they can do it for Saints.

Thought we played some nice stuff in the opening 15-20 minutes - Stevenson was really unlucky not to score, Wiz took his penalty well and Mensing looked far better in central midfield than I'd ever have predicted. We fell apart after they equalised though, and from that point on it was probably one of the worst (if not the worst) performances of the season. I think the second half just proved how massive Sheridan and Scotland are for us. Take those two players out of our team and we really struggle.

Coyle at least tried to shake things up with some brave substitutions, but for my money he got those substitutions completely wrong and only served to make things worse. The defence were left in complete disarray when James moved up front - there was nobody to do the organising, and to make matters worse his performance as a striker was woeful. It should have been Rusty that was moved forward - I think he'd be a better frontman than James, and he also wouldn't be missed as much from the back 4.

I'd also have had Doris on for Milne much earlier (in fact, I'd probably have done it at half time), because Doris continually shows that he can cause problems to opposition defences, while Milne does not. You can't question Milne's workrate, but he should start concentrating on actually being a striker, because when he's running all over the place attempting to help out with the defending, all he's really doing is leaving us short up front. I've heard it said on here that it's the midfield's fault for not providing him with chances - I don't doubt that that doesn't help, but Doris seems to do alright with the same players behind him. I might be being a bit harsh on Milne here, but I actually think that if you took him off the pitch and didn't even bother to replace him, it wouldn't really make any difference to the team. The guy just never looks like either scoring a goal or creating one for anyone else - I personally think he should be dropped for a few games and Doris should be given a deserved chance in the starting line-up (in fact, I'm going to start a new thread on it right now!).

As for the midfield, Henry was again awful and I can't understand why he's even here. I've never seen anything from him to suggest he's even worth a place on the bench, let alone his regular starting place. With Sheridan missing, we really needed Henry to stand up and make himself counted today, and he completely failed to produce the goods.

Anderson was again very poor - Radford says above that he's "worse than Jordan Tait" as if that should come as a surprise, but I personally think Tait is clearly a better full-back than Anderson and he'd probably have played quite a lot for us this season if he was still here.

The only real plus for me today was the attitude and workrate shown by Stevenson, who never stopped running and giving it his all. He's gone from being the squad's perennial Mr Podgy to looking like he's arguably our fittest (NB - by fittest I don't mean "most handsome" :wink: ) player on the park.

For the first half an hour i was fairly pleased with our play..but after we scored we conceeded one near enough straight after - has this ever not happened when we play away at Airdrie?? :roll:

Thought James had a honking game today, he's bad enough with the ball at his feet but he missed near enough every header aswell. James has the height but i thought with Ruti being a striker previously he would have punted him up front but he opted for James. James was causing some confusion quite a few times today - and Phil's example with Anderson proves this point.

There wasn't much of a midfield the day, Stevo worked his socks off especially with that cockmuncher Lovering 'cuddling' him at every opportunity. Henry has been shocking since he came back - pish at Brechin, pish at St Mirren, pish against County and, as expected, pish at Airdrie!

Would love to see Henry dropped for Monday but with only Jancjyk, Stevenson, Sheerin, McManus fit (i think that's them all) and Hannah who is not match fit and not trained for days not likely to be playing. Well, if he plays before Stevie McManus there's something FAR wrong!

Guest imported_Jamie_Beatson

Hazel - I don't see a problem with a midfield of Janczyk Sheerin McManus and Stevo.

John Henry has been awful since he's been starting games, Mensing is an idiot and should be fined an astronomical sum of money for being such a tit. The long ball tactic was a stupid idea and I really think if we had calmed down and tried to pass the ball like we did in the early stages of the game we would have equalised. We were all over them early on and created a couple of really good chances before the penalty, after which we fell to pieces.

I like the look of Doris and I'd have him in ahead of Dobbie any day. Milne still works hard but never seems to be in a scoring position. As soon as we lost Scotland the team looked devoid of any attacking ideas and had to resort to launching it first at Milne then at James.

Fotheringham looked OK when he came on, I'd give him a chance.

We need to try something new. I'm all for giving Janczyk/Doris/McManus/Jackson a chance from the start in the next few weeks. The league is over and I'd rather see us losing games with youngsters getting a chance and maybe bringing some new ideas to the team than seeing us lose with the same old starters in the side. I've seen these guys play and they are certainly no worse than what we are seeing just now. The U-19 team plays some great football when they have the better players fit, and theres no reason why they can't do it in the full side.

Jamie