January Transfer Window

pezza70

9 hours ago, Cagey said:

Strange we bring in a young guy to sit on the bench and loañ out a young guy to sit on the bench.

The fact that so many St.Johnstone fans are simply shrugging their shoulders at this and saying “oh well” just shows have far we have fallen.

10 hours ago, Cagey said:

Strange we bring in a young guy to sit on the bench and loañ out a young guy to sit on the bench.

Presumably the idea was our young player would get game time every week he wouldn't get here, while someone elses young defender rotted on the bench.

The fact McClelland hasnt played a minute for United makes you question how much thought was actually put into his destination though.

I think we've really fumbled our handling of the loan market this season. Having three different managers in less than a year has probably had a lot to do with that and I can only blindly hope we get it better next season.

I still say that when Raith Rovers needed a right-back on loan we should have sent them Olufunwa. He could be there right now getting regular game time at a good level and then come back to us next season ready to properly challenge for a place. Instead we gave them James Brown who, in my view, should have remained here as a useful back-up option.

Was Kerr Smith basically unfit the whole time he was here, was there never any real intention to play him, or did he just turn out to be a weaker player than we thought we were getting? I wonder if United fans are asking those same questions about McClelland right now, too.

I also still think it was ridiculous to give Chris Kane a new contract and then immediately decide he's not wanted. I know people will suggest various reasons for us doing that but to me it all just smacks of bad planning and weird decision making.

Also to add to the above: Max should really have been sent out on loan this season too. Half a season playing regularly in the Championship would have done him the world of good. Instead, it feels like he's missed out an important step in his development and he's paying the price for that now.

Apparently Smith had a hamstring injury in bounce game and that is why he is returning to Villa and Olufunwa has had an ankle strain for weeks.

Wondered if we would have a bounce game. Hopefully not unfit after this break as the last one.

On 3/16/2024 at 8:56 AM, blueheaven said:

I think we've really fumbled our handling of the loan market this season. Having three different managers in less than a year has probably had a lot to do with that and I can only blindly hope we get it better next season.

I still say that when Raith Rovers needed a right-back on loan we should have sent them Olufunwa. He could be there right now getting regular game time at a good level and then come back to us next season ready to properly challenge for a place. Instead we gave them James Brown who, in my view, should have remained here as a useful back-up option.

Was Kerr Smith basically unfit the whole time he was here, was there never any real intention to play him, or did he just turn out to be a weaker player than we thought we were getting? I wonder if United fans are asking those same questions about McClelland right now, too.

I also still think it was ridiculous to give Chris Kane a new contract and then immediately decide he's not wanted. I know people will suggest various reasons for us doing that but to me it all just smacks of bad planning and weird decision making.

Doesn't it give you the absolute fear when you consider how many people are out of contract at the end of this season?

Replacing that number of bodies, possibly in a lower league, isn't going to be fun when you look at the level of recruitment since Tommy left.

24 minutes ago, garydavidson said:

Doesn't it give you the absolute fear when you consider how many people are out of contract at the end of this season?

Replacing that number of bodies, possibly in a lower league, isn't going to be fun when you look at the level of recruitment since Tommy left.

A lot  more fun than re-signing the 20 odd in our present squad that are out of contract.

We will have the same problem as the last 3 seasons of being unable to make signings until we know what league we will be in and that could be the last kick of the ball.

37 minutes ago, garydavidson said:

The place is rotten and needs gutted.

59 minutes ago, garydavidson said:

No. They are all, to a man, shite.

Or crocks.

Edited by rik2304

31 minutes ago, rik2304 said:

No. They are all, to a man, shite.

Or crocks.

I am not suggesting we offer contracts to those who are failing us, I was trying to make the point that it's even more daunting than other seasons as this lot couldn't keep us up if it came to it.

Levein and Kirk will have to come up with something very impressive indeed to avoid another session of this.

1 hour ago, garydavidson said:

I think it’s a positive, as can get shot of all the deadwood and wage thief’s we have accumulated, regardless of the league it’s a fresh start, really depends on the manager and board to get it right, but hopefully a bit more thought than last year when we had to play the kids in the league cup and plan for both scenarios depending on where we end up.

If we did go down I doubt most of this crew we have now have the ability or fight to get out of the championship.

If we stay up this season, I'm reasonably positive that we could be mid-table next year.

I think Levein has an eye for a player - Keltjens, Sidebar & Kimpioka have all been improvements on what we had before. Connor Smith is young and will develop. I think he can build a decent squad given the chance.

Presumably Gordon, Keltjens and Clark will get new contracts.

I would worry about offering Wright a new contract given his injury problems. Macpherson, Crawford, Carey, Gallacher, McGowan, Considine, Booth will be gone. Phillips has signed a pre-contract.

We'd presumably look to move on Kane, May & Brown

Robinson, DJ and Richards loans will be ending.

That's 15 senior players leaving. I'd say we'd be looking to cut down the squad, so bring in maybe 8.

2 hours ago, garydavidson said:

Dundee have shown it can be done. Im happy that so many of these sh***bags are out of contract. Get rid. Start again with a much much better ethos.
Signing young or proven players and developing them, loving them, making Perth their home. Look at the way Dundee, St.Mirren and Killie have built their respective squads - you could say that they have copied the St Johnstone blueprint. A couple of seasons ago chairman around Scotland were saying how envious they were of our model.

Tried and tested guys, still at a good age, like Shaughnessy, Tiffoney, Lamie, Kennedy, Polworth, Watkins, Tanser, Dunne, Gogic, Kiltie, O’Hara.

Now I am not saying any of them are world beaters or necessarily want all of them at Saints but they are exactly the sort of players we would have picked up instead of them going to Dundee/Motherwell/St.Mirren type clubs. We offered players something different. We offered a decent enough wage, but an ethos - a changing room that would bring out the best, a chance to flourish, a chance for cup runs and European football ambitions.

We will never know what they would have done here, but missing out of guys like Robbie Deas and Kyle Turner is symptomatic of who wants to come to us.

Now signing guys coming to the end of their bang average SPL career like McGowan and Considine and holding on to guys Stevie May, all the while pining after Chris Kane and David Wotherspoon.

What a painful decline it has been!

3 hours ago, Linky said:

If we stay up this season, I'm reasonably positive that we could be mid-table next year.

I think Levein has an eye for a player - Keltjens, Sidebar & Kimpioka have all been improvements on what we had before. Connor Smith is young and will develop. I think he can build a decent squad given the chance.

Presumably Gordon, Keltjens and Clark will get new contracts.

I would worry about offering Wright a new contract given his injury problems. Macpherson, Crawford, Carey, Gallacher, McGowan, Considine, Booth will be gone. Phillips has signed a pre-contract.

We'd presumably look to move on Kane, May & Brown

Robinson, DJ and Richards loans will be ending.

That's 15 senior players leaving. I'd say we'd be looking to cut down the squad, so bring in maybe 8.

Who has Philips signed fir ?

5 hours ago, garydavidson said:

I am not suggesting we offer contracts to those who are failing us, I was trying to make the point that it's even more daunting than other seasons as this lot couldn't keep us up if it came to it.

Levein and Kirk will have to come up with something very impressive indeed to avoid another session of this.

I wish I had your confidence.

The dinosaur and Rookie will not keep us up.

5 hours ago, garydavidson said:

Maybe they will use the next 2 weeks to practice , passing the ball to their team mate,how to defend set pieces, how to take corners and free kicks.

Most of all how to play football , it's a simple game complicated by Largs mafia.

Updated first team squad status:

Goalkeepers 

Dave Richards - 2024 - on loan from Crewe Alexandria 

Jack Wills - 2024 

Dimitar Mitov - 2025

Ross Sinclair - 2026

Defenders/wing backs

James Brown - 2024 - on loan at Raith Rovers 

Ryan McGowan - 2024 

Liam Gordon - 2024

Andy Considine - 2024

Liam Parker - 2024 - on loan at Edinburgh City

Callum Booth - 2024  - on loan at Spartans 

Luke Robinson - 2024 - on loan from Wigan

Tony Gallacher - 2024

Olusadare Olufunwa - 2025

David Keltjens - 2025

Sam McClelland - 2025 - on loan at Dundee United

Midfielders/wingers

Drey Wright - 2024

Cammy McPherson - 2024

Daniel Phillips - 2024

Ali Crawford - 2024

Graham Carey - 2024

Cammy Ballantyne - 2024 - on loan at Clyde

Sven Sprangler - 2025

Connor Smith - 2025

Max Kucheriavyi - 2025

Matt Smith - 2025

Alex Ferguson - 2025 - on loan at Queen of the South

Attackers

Diallang Jaiyesimi - 2024 - on loan from Charlton Atheltic

Chris Kane - 2024 - on loan at Dunfermline

Taylor Steven - 2024 - on loan at Alloa Athletic

Stevie May - 2025

Nicky Clark - 2025

Benjamin Kimpioka - 2025

Adama Sidibeh - 2026

20 hours ago, garydavidson said:

It's a pretty similar situation to last season, really (can't remember the exact number but I think we lost something like 12 players last summer).

I'd love for us to get back to the situation we were in under Tommy where we had a settled squad that only needed one or two additions to keep things fresh in each window. That's what you get when you have a long-term manager with a long-term plan, and players who are happy and want to stay. Sadly I think we're a long way from getting back to that place, if we even manage to get back there at all.

Right now I don't think there's any other choice but to have another pretty big clear out. Of the players who are out of contract, I'm not sure there are any who I'd be particularly desperate to keep. I'd offer something to Drey Wright and I'd like Phillips to stay but he seems to be off elsewhere. I'm a bit on the fence about McGowan and Gordon. And youngsters like Jack Wills and Taylor Steven will hopefully be kept on. But other than that, I don't really see much argument for keeping any of the others.

13 minutes ago, blueheaven said:

Goalkeepers 

Jack Wills - 2024 

Dimitar Mitov - 2025

Ross Sinclair - 2026

Defenders/wing backs

Ryan McGowan - 2024 

Liam Gordon - 2024

Andy Considine - 2024

Tony Gallacher - 2024

David Keltjens - 2025

Midfielders/wingers

Drey Wright - 2024

Cammy McPherson - 2024

Daniel Phillips - 2024

Ali Crawford - 2024

Graham Carey - 2024

Sven Sprangler - 2025

Connor Smith - 2025

Max Kucheriavyi - 2025

Matt Smith - 2025

Attackers

Stevie May - 2025

Nicky Clark - 2025

Benjamin Kimpioka - 2025

Adama Sidibeh - 2026

Gee lucky we don’t have a reserves team as we would struggle to fill two teams next season if all the off contracts walked.

2 hours ago, blueheaven said:

Goalkeepers 

Jack Wills - 2024 

Dimitar Mitov - 2025

Ross Sinclair - 2026

Defenders/wing backs

Ryan McGowan - 2024 

Liam Gordon - 2024

Andy Considine - 2024

Tony Gallacher - 2024

David Keltjens - 2025

Midfielders/wingers

Drey Wright - 2024

Cammy McPherson - 2024

Daniel Phillips - 2024

Ali Crawford - 2024

Graham Carey - 2024

Sven Sprangler - 2025

Connor Smith - 2025

Max Kucheriavyi - 2025

Matt Smith - 2025

Attackers

Stevie May - 2025

Nicky Clark - 2025

Benjamin Kimpioka - 2025

Adama Sidibeh - 2026

Look on the bright side at least we have 4 strikers signed for next season . Two rookies and 2 pensioners who out of a total of 21 goals in 30 games have scored ???. The rest defenders and midfielders who aren't even contributing enough.

Maybe it's the system..