Dundee V St.Johnstone - Tuesday 2nd January

R.B.B:- Adz

1 hour ago, R.B.B:- Adz said:

He should have put some more effort into signing a centre half in January then. The centre backs at the club at the moment are dire. For a man who apparently prides himself on defending and managing clubs who are hard to score against, he is putting a lot of faith in 4/5 very average defenders.

Andy Considine will be 37 years old in a few weeks.

Liam Gordon is very limited.

Ryan McGowan is a converted right back who will be 35 years old in the summer.

Luke Robinson is a rookie learning his trade while having his role chopped and changed weekly.

Tony Gallagher is just simply a championship player.

He did sign Kerr Smith tbf.

30 minutes ago, RandomGuy said:

He did sign Kerr Smith tbf.

Sort of my point though.

He signed Kerr Smith you would assume as an upgrade on Gordon or Considine.

He signed Keltjens as an upgrade on Brown or McGowan.

He brought Robinson back as an upgrade on Gallagher.

HOWEVER, we are yet to see a starting defence that doesn’t contain McGowan, Gallagher and Gordon or Considine in it since he signed those three. What’s the point!

Edited by R.B.B:- Adz

2 hours ago, Setting Son said:

Sam looks a decent signing as well . Hopefully gets game time at United . I find it bizarre you bring in Kerr Smith and put Sam McClelland out on loan 

What little we’ve seen,Sam looks at least as good as Smith imo

I wasnt overly impressed by Kerr Smith v Dundee, tbh.

You can tell hes been playing youth football for a while and the speed of the game caught him out. A few times he took too long to do something with the ball as he didnt expect pressured so quickly.

McClelland i didnt overly like either. Agonisingly slow, to the point id say Considine is quicker. Interested to see how regular games at United makes him look.

3 minutes ago, Two Cups 2021 said:

Feel like Levein keeps changing players positions, which doesn't help them to settle in one position. 

E.G. Played Max left midfield, yet he scored twice against the Fun earlier in the season when played on the right.

We love a manager that like to tinkle

I think if McClelland gets a decent amount of game time at United then the move will have been beneficial for him. I still think we probably should have done the same with Olufunwa. Max too, in fact. I think all three of them would benefit from playing regularly in the Championship and then coming back here in the summer.

I'm not convinced Kerr Smith is going to start all that many games for us, but we'll see.

4 hours ago, blueheaven said:

I think if McClelland gets a decent amount of game time at United then the move will have been beneficial for him. I still think we probably should have done the same with Olufunwa. Max too, in fact. I think all three of them would benefit from playing regularly in the Championship and then coming back here in the summer.

I'm not convinced Kerr Smith is going to start all that many games for us, but we'll see.

Dont think we could have loaned out Olufunwa -  would have left us relying on Gowser, Considine, Gordon and Keltjens to cover 3 centre halves plus fullback/wingback roles. Given the heavy fixture list, lack of match sharpness for Keltjens and the likelihood of one or more of them picking up suspensions Olufunwa is a good player to have for cover. 

1 hour ago, templeofsaints said:

Dont think we could have loaned out Olufunwa -  would have left us relying on Gowser, Considine, Gordon and Keltjens to cover 3 centre halves plus fullback/wingback roles. Given the heavy fixture list, lack of match sharpness for Keltjens and the likelihood of one or more of them picking up suspensions Olufunwa is a good player to have for cover. 

I agree now, but only because we chose to make a more experienced right-back surplus to requirements and loan him out. Personally I think it would have been a better long-term plan to hold onto Brown until the end of the season as back-up, and let Olufunwa go out on loan to get experience.