Dundee V St.Johnstone - Tuesday 2nd January

R.B.B:- Adz

3 hours ago, blueheaven said:

Who could ever have predicted that a Dundee fan would prefer a derelict stadium that was past its use-by date 35 years ago to one that's actually usable.

Most Dees would prefer to stay and do Dens up. Most Saints fans would probably bite your hand off to move back to Muirton. The older ones anyway.

1 hour ago, Gort said:

Most Dees would prefer to stay and do Dens up. Most Saints fans would probably bite your hand off to move back to Muirton. The older ones anyway.

And that's the mindset that has Dundee still stuck playing in a collapsing dump while Saints have enjoyed years of league success, trophies and European football.

Nostalgia for the past is great but anyone who would actually swap what Saints have now to go back to playing lower league part-time football in a condemned tip would be in a tiny, tiny minority.

2 hours ago, Gort said:

I have great memories of Muirton (also some pretty bad  ones) but McDiarmid even in its now rather dated state is far superior to what Muirton was latterly and I would have no wish to go back.

I am not a fan of ground sharing but I do think it could work for the Dundee clubs get a decent ground on the site of one of the present grounds.

4 hours ago, blueheaven said:

And that's the mindset that has Dundee still stuck playing in a collapsing dump while Saints have enjoyed years of league success, trophies and European football.

Nostalgia for the past is great but anyone who would actually swap what Saints have now to go back to playing lower league part-time football in a condemned tip would be in a tiny, tiny minority.

Saints were actually a decent team years ago, believe it or not. Henry Hall, Pearson, Connolly,  certainly weren't part time. Much bigger crowds back then and stadium in the perfect place. 

37 minutes ago, Gort said:

Saints were actually a decent team years ago, believe it or not. Henry Hall, Pearson, Connolly,  certainly weren't part time. Much bigger crowds back then and stadium in the perfect place. 

I may be wrong but I think that Henry Hall was a PE teacher as well as playing for Saints ?

Saints we’re defo part time when I first started watching them around 86, not sure if we had some full time players in past or were full time then stopped being.

What is for sure though, apart from first season we have been totally full time since moving to McDiarmid.

22 minutes ago, Strawman said:

I may be wrong but I think that Henry Hall was a PE teacher as well as playing for Saints ?

Saints we’re defo part time when I first started watching them around 86, not sure if we had some full time players in past or were full time then stopped being.

What is for sure though, apart from first season we have been totally full time since moving to McDiarmid.

Hall was a PE teacher after he left football.

He was also a coach at Saints for a while in the late 90s early 00s.

Saints were full time when he was with them and didn't go part time until the relegation from the premier in 75/76.

As you say, they turned full time again in 90/91 after promotion.

49 minutes ago, Strawman said:

Hall, Pearson, Connolly arrived about 1969, Hall used to bang loads of goals in the net in the early 70s. I was down south in the 80s so didn't realise Saints were part time then. 

3 hours ago, Gekko said:

Hall was a PE teacher after he left football.

He was also a coach at Saints for a while in the late 90s early 00s.

Saints were full time when he was with them and didn't go part time until the relegation from the premier in 75/76.

As you say, they turned full time again in 90/91 after promotion.

Correct

14 hours ago, Gort said:

You say that as if you think I'm unaware of it. I know about my own club's history thanks, but that was half a century ago and it's irrelevant to our current situation. In those days Muirton was fit for purpose and similar to other grounds being played in by the top sides at the time. By the time it was demolished it was well past its best and parts of the ground weren't even allowed to be opened any more. What would it be like if we were still playing in it today? And what level would the club be at, if the club even still existed at all?

If Saints had stayed at Muirton Park our only direction would have been down. Moving to McDiarmid gave us the platform and structure to build the success we've seen in the 30-odd years since. Anyone who'd swap all that to keep us playing at a crumbling relic purely for the sake of nostalgia would be in a tiny, tiny minority.

1 hour ago, blueheaven said:

You say that as if you think I'm unaware of it. I know about my own club's history thanks, but that was half a century ago and it's irrelevant to our current situation. In those days Muirton was fit for purpose and similar to other grounds being played in by the top sides at the time. By the time it was demolished it was well past its best and parts of the ground weren't even allowed to be opened any more. What would it be like if we were still playing in it today? And what level would the club be at, if the club even still existed at all?

If Saints had stayed at Muirton Park our only direction would have been down. Moving to McDiarmid gave us the platform and structure to build the success we've seen in the 30-odd years since. Anyone who'd swap all that to keep us playing at a crumbling relic purely for the sake of nostalgia would be in a tiny, tiny minority.

Most clubs upgrade their stadiums, Ibrox and Parkhead were khazis in the 60s and 70s. Look at them now. Two parts of Dens and Tannadice are out of time, one club is moving and the other is staying put. Once they see us challenge the old firm regularly they are gonna want to move. 

10 minutes ago, Gort said:

Most clubs upgrade their stadiums, Ibrox and Parkhead were khazis in the 60s and 70s. Look at them now. Two parts of Dens and Tannadice are out of time, one club is moving and the other is staying put. Once they see us challenge the old firm regularly they are gonna want to move. 

You seem to be saying that you think moving will bring Dundee success, but at the same time you don't want it to happen and you think Saints shouldn't have moved?

Moving rather than upgrading gave Saints far more land/space to expand and improve their facilities. If Dundee only upgrade Dens instead of moving, what conference facilities will they have, what training space, what car parking space? By moving, Saints gave themselves all of those things that have helped the club to make money and grow. An upgraded Muirton Park would never have been on a par with what McDiarmid has given us (and upgrading Muirton was never an option anyway - where would the money have come from?).

Both Dundee clubs should have got their heads together 25-30 years ago and sorted out having one good stadium for both clubs to use. They can't play at home at the same time anyway, so why not just play at the same place? Sell both grounds, combine the money and build one good stadium for both to use. Instead, they've both chucked endless money down the drain chasing after short-term gains, while Saints have flourished in a far smaller city with a smaller fanbase. 

I was suspicious of a shared stadium once I heard United had new American owners as well, and you know what that would lead to. Some rich guy doing Dens up would be the ideal scenario but it's not looking likely so Lochee way it is. Ghastly pubs and natives over there, but the new stadium might grow on people. 

The new stadium will feature a home-end safe-standing tribune, activated concourse areas and LED screens. The scheme will also feature a 1,000-capacity multi-use venue, a 120 room hotel with health and wellbeing facilities, Dundee FC training centre, residential development, a city crematorium, tiered hospitality experiences and a 250 capacity brewhall.

Can't find any information about funding.....

dundee-stadium-concept-holmes-miller-architects.jpg

16 hours ago, Strawman said:

Henry was a Pe teacher

37 minutes ago, sixties saintee said:

Henry was a Pe teacher

Dave Nicol was a teacher at the Harris when I was there in the 70s. He played in goal for Saints, not often, can't remember who was Saints number one in the early, mid 70s. 

8 minutes ago, Gort said:

Dave Nicol was a teacher at the Harris when I was there in the 70s. He played in goal for Saints, not often, can't remember who was Saints number one in the early, mid 70s. 

Going further back Gerry Follon taught geography at Lawside Academy whilst he played for Saints.

50 minutes ago, Gort said:

I was suspicious of a shared stadium once I heard United had new American owners as well, and you know what that would lead to. Some rich guy doing Dens up would be the ideal scenario but it's not looking likely so Lochee way it is. Ghastly pubs and natives over there, but the new stadium might grow on people. 

What would be the benefit of a renovated Dens, other than maybe some better seats and an improved pitch? Hasn't the club already done that anyway? But it's still stuck with mis-matched, weirdly-shaped stands because that's all that can be done with the space it has. On the footprint of the ground there's just not enough room to do anything else. Look at the land McDiarmid Park is on and compare it to the lands Dens Park is on. If you want the club to actually grow, it needs the physical space that can only come from a move.

If the clubs had had any foresight they'd have sat round a table and done something about it long before American owners got involved. It's crazy to think how much both clubs must have spent since the 90s on half-arsed improvements to two grounds that still aren't good enough.

1 hour ago, weesainty said:

Will they be refunding the tickets for those who can’t me the rearrange game 

The Tayside Derby at Dens Park will now take place on Wednesday, February 14th at 7.45pm.

Ticket information 

Tickets for the original fixture on 2nd January WILL BE VALID for this rearranged game.

However, any supporters who are unable to make the game on the new date will be entitled to a full refund of the ticket values.

As these are paper tickets, in order to receive a refund, tickets will need to be submitted back to the McDiarmid Park ticket office and this can be done in one of two ways:

·       In person at the McDiarmid Park ticket office Monday to Friday 10am to 4pm.

·       By post to Ticket Office, McDiarmid Park, Crieff Road, Perth, PH1 2SJ.  PLEASE ENSURE that along with the unused tickets that you enclose details of your name, address and a contact telephone number.

Refunds will be made in the following manner:

·       If you made your purchase online via the Saints ticketing platform then the money will be recredited to the same card you used to make the purchase.

·       If you paid by card at the ticket office then, if you are returning your tickets by post, we will need to contact you to arrange to recredit the card you used.

·       If you paid by card at the ticket office and hand your tickets back in person then please bring the same payment card you used for the purchase so that we can make the refund.

·       If you paid by cash at the ticket office then you will be refunded by cash.

Please note that the deadline for acceptance of refund requests is Friday 2nd February 2024.

Email - ticketsales@perthsaints.co.uk

Telephone - 01738 455000