Hibernian V St.Johnstone - Saturday 6th April

SaintJet

7 hours ago, PSJ.84 said:

Our last win was away, we scored two goals and kept a clean sheet.

Gordon was playing. 

Just saying…

What’s the points/win ratio when he’s no playing 

just asking 

3 hours ago, Dav69 said:

What’s the points/win ratio when he’s no playing 

just asking 

Won 2, drawn 1, lost 2 

7 hours ago, Saintdunc said:

Due to the absence of Gordon, Dan Phillips was Captain and we won. He was not booked either. In other games, when taking the armband, have we been victorious and  has he been cautioned, as he appears to thrive on the responsibility?

We appear more cohesive with him doing the job. Gordon might also return to the decent player he was prior to being made captain.

If he has signed a PCA elsewhere, would Phillips really be given the job to do, because Management would be aware that he was offski, or am I being naive?

Won 1, drawn 2 and lost 1 with Phillips as captain, only booked once in those games. Small sample size but he does look a lot more disciplined when given the captaincy - the draw at Celtic Park is the one that sticks in my mind in particular. Keeps things simple in possession, doesn’t go barrelling around chasing lost causes, and for the most part, cuts out the daft niggly fouls.  

With regards the last paragraph, I doubt it’d make much of a difference tbh. 

7 hours ago, slf said:

Nice too see mr levein applauded the visiting fans at end of game

had a stonking day on the chooch  ye cannae beat it 

got a wee shot on the tram cars as well .

Sunday papers to buy the morn.braw

Well done trooper, hope you have a sair heed this morning 

Always nice to get a reminder of the fact that, as bad as we've been, the other teams around us are pretty guff too and it often only takes one win to make the picture look a bit rosier. Reminded me of the Aberdeen game in that our opponents looked really poor on their own patch and we managed to take advantage, mainly thanks to the pace of our main striker.

I felt there were loads of question marks over the team selection and substitutions yesterday but having someone like Sidibeh (and also Kimpioka against Aberdeen) has given us that small margin of difference that has allowed us to get three points from these games where we'd previously only have got one point or even zero. Turn those Hibs and Aberdeen wins into draws and we'd be on the same points as County right now, so those two signings have been absolutely vital.

Forgive me one moan, but does anyone understand Levein's hesitancy to make subs? Just what is the logic there? Again yesterday Sidibeh was knackered by around the hour mark but it took another 20 minutes to get Kimpioka on to replace him. He then brought Stevie May on when there were about 30 seconds to go and we were about to defend a corner. Surely that's the worst possible scenario to be introducing a new player into? Madness. But anyway. Three points. Phew.

Given the quality of Sidibeh and Keltjens, and to a lesser extent Kimpioka, I have reasonable confidence that if we manage to stay up this season (which I think we will - 10th place), Levein has an eye for a player, and the contacts to ensure we can have a decent squad next season and be more like 7th/8th finishers. We have some high earners whose contracts will be finishing in the summer, and some older players who will be moving on.

Both Livi and Ross County are likely to lose their final game before the split (against Hearts and Rangers respectively). We have a really good opportunity at home against Killie to pull 7 points ahead, which would then make it very hard for Ross to catch up.

3 hours ago, blueheaven said:

Always nice to get a reminder of the fact that, as bad as we've been, the other teams around us are pretty guff too

I thought our defence was a bit leaky but ****ing hell, I'd have more confidence in Considine and McGowan than in Hibs CBs.

One of the worst groups of defenders I can remember seeing this season.

A massive 3 points, as stated earlier it’s a free hit against Killie, hopefully Rangers will tear RC apart and do some damage to RC’s goals for and against tally.

if we can get atleast a point at home against Killie it will keep putting the pressure on RC, if we jag all 3 then a 7 point cushion will hopefully keep us up, but being a saintee we know things are never that easy or simple haha.

COYS

22 hours ago, Linky said:

Given the quality of Sidibeh and Keltjens, and to a lesser extent Kimpioka,

Might just be me, but I cant say that I have been overly impressed with Keltjens. He loses possession and seems to be caught out of position frequently without offering much going forward. I appreciate that he has just moved to a new country and playing in a new league, so it may take him some time to adapt.

Sidibeh on the other hand is impressing more and more every week. He has provided our front line with a freshness and given his pace and constant effort, I don't think many defenders will enjoy coming up against him. 

Kjeltens first game he genuinely reminded me of Rooney, he just had that same sort of directness and aggressiveness going forward, but haven’t see any of that since.

Signings of Sibideh and Kimpioka alone are probably going to keep us up, Levein should be credited with that. Hopeful that with a few solid additions alongside a couple other punts in the summer, think we could build an alright squad for next season. Wouldn’t be against MacPherson on a massively reduced deal to prove fitness.

1 hour ago, Aitchy said:

Might just be me, but I cant say that I have been overly impressed with Keltjens. He loses possession and seems to be caught out of position frequently without offering much going forward. I appreciate that he has just moved to a new country and playing in a new league, so it may take him some time to adapt.

Sidibeh on the other hand is impressing more and more every week. He has provided our front line with a freshness and given his pace and constant effort, I don't think many defenders will enjoy coming up against him. 

I think Keltjens looks a pretty good player though not currently in the best of form. Hopefully that's something that can be worked on as I feel he has a lot more to give. I'm not even sure RB is his preferred position, though? Part of me wonders if he might move into midfield when Phillips moves on.

Totally agree on Sidibeh and I really don't think it should even be a surprise. There was some ridiculous stuff being said by some fans when he first arrived, without even seeing him play or knowing anything about the level he'd come from.

On 3/31/2024 at 10:11 PM, dave mc said:
21 minutes ago, blueheaven said:

I think Keltjens looks a pretty good player though not currently in the best of form. Hopefully that's something that can be worked on as I feel he has a lot more to give. I'm not even sure RB is his preferred position, though? Part of me wonders if he might move into midfield when Phillips moves on.

Totally agree on Sidibeh and I really don't think it should even be a surprise. There was some ridiculous stuff being said by some fans when he first arrived, without even seeing him play or knowing anything about the level he'd come from.

Danny Swanson was playing for a bit below the leagues, that didn't work out too bad, there are rough diamonds to be found, for various reasons some end up in these leagues, but most of the time a real punt to see if they can move up. In this case with Adama think he's the real deal.