St.Johnstone V Kilmarnock - Saturday 13th April

SaintJet

1 hour ago, rik2304 said:

Surely that's just basic management from McInnes? 

Not having a dig at you but that's just the basics and we've missed it for years now.

100% this. McInnes has always been a manager who does his homework and puts a lot of thought into everything. That's why his teams tend to do very well. Kilmarnock aren't anything special on paper, but they have a very good manager who recruits well and is thorough in his preparation and gets the very best out of his players. We, on the other hand, don't.

If only we'd gone for McInnes when he was still available, that would probably be us in fourth place right now.

6 hours ago, rik2304 said:

Surely that's just basic management from McInnes? 

Not having a dig at you but that's just the basics and we've missed it for years now.

Not only did McInnes know about our midfield shape but he said to the media days before the game he knew how we would play and also mentioned the players he was dropping for the game to deal with it! Just insane we just carried on into it.

The manager assessment of the team, is that a damming report of all those that were on the bench? If he didn't want to replace those playing poorly then he must think the subs are even worse.

4 hours ago, garydavidson said:

Not only did McInnes know about our midfield shape but he said to the media days before the game he knew how we would play and also mentioned the players he was dropping for the game to deal with it! Just insane we just carried on into it.

The manager assessment of the team, is that a damming report of all those that were on the bench? If he didn't want to replace those playing poorly then he must think the subs are even worse.

Think it's a daming inviting o himself

On 4/15/2024 at 4:03 PM, garydavidson said:

I find the reluctance to introduce Kimpioka earlier in games just baffling. He's practically a like-for-like replacement for Sidibeh so even if Levein didn't want to change our system he could make that swap and have another fast striker in the team without us skipping a beat. Surely he must see that Sidibeh is always dead on his feet after an hour?

I have no idea what kind of work he's putting in behind the scenes so this may be unfair of me, but my impression of Levein from the outside looking in is that he's a bit lazy. His teams seem unprepared, his tactics poorly thought through with very little adaptation to our opponent, he doesn't want to take training, and his players don't look fit enough which suggests they're not being worked hard enough during the week.

At least Macca cared. And his results weren't all that much worse, either.

17 minutes ago, blueheaven said:

I find the reluctance to introduce Kimpioka earlier in games just baffling. He's practically a like-for-like replacement for Sidibeh so even if Levein didn't want to change our system he could make that swap and have another fast striker in the team without us skipping a beat. Surely he must see that Sidibeh is always dead on his feet after an hour?

I have no idea what kind of work he's putting in behind the scenes so this may be unfair of me, but my impression of Levein from the outside looking in is that he's a bit lazy. His teams seems seem unprepared, his tactics poorly thought through with very little adaptation to our opponent, he doesn't want to take training, and his players don't look fit enough which suggests they're not being worked hard enough during the week.

At least Macca cared. And his results weren't all that much worse, either.

BH, I've said this before - you don't know if any of this is accurate. It's pure conjecture on your part.

I agree completley with you and others that some of the decisons are indeed baffling but we don't know what's going on behind the scenes. With respect, one thing that Levein was always renowned for was having very fit and physical teams.

I'm not believeing for a minute that our team are not prepared and I don't buy that Levein can't be arsed becasue he's not flying about in the technical area. 

1 hour ago, SaintJet said:

BH, I've said this before - you don't know if any of this is accurate. It's pure conjecture on your part.

I agree completley with you and others that some of the decisons are indeed baffling but we don't know what's going on behind the scenes. With respect, one thing that Levein was always renowned for was having very fit and physical teams.

I'm not believeing for a minute that our team are not prepared and I don't buy that Levein can't be arsed becasue he's not flying about in the technical area. 

And I'll give you the same response that I gave you when you said it before. I know it's conjecture. I'm not claiming otherwise. I'm giving my opinion based on what I'm seeing, which is the whole point of the forum. I'm not claiming to be a news source.

I literally caveated what I said in my post with "I have no idea what kind of work he's putting in behind the scenes so this may be unfair of me, but my impression of Levein from the outside looking in ..."

Just to add a bit to the discussion above, I can't comment or provide any details on perceived poor tactics or the work that goes in behind the scenes to address that but with regards the team looking unfit and not being worked hard enough.  I've actually heard from a very good source that the problem we currently have is the complete opposite of this.  There is far far too much emphasis on running and fitness training done at training to the point the players are at points absolutely exhausted by the end of the week.  This has also been pointed out as a potential to the numerous niggling injuries we seem to keep picking up to key players. 

Whether this is Levein's doing or whether this is Kirk's work ethic coming through I don't know.  But players being knackered by the end of a weeks training doesn't seem to be ideal prep going into a game at the weekend.

2 minutes ago, Lt. Col Kojak Slaphead II said:

Just to add a bit to the discussion above, I can't comment or provide any details on perceived poor tactics or the work that goes in behind the scenes to address that but with regards the team looking unfit and not being worked hard enough.  I've actually heard from a very good source that the problem we currently have is the complete opposite of this.  There is far far too much emphasis on running and fitness training done at training to the point the players are at points absolutely exhausted by the end of the week.  This has also been pointed out as a potential to the numerous niggling injuries we seem to keep picking up to key players. 

Whether this is Levein's doing or whether this is Kirk's work ethic coming through I don't know.  But players being knackered by the end of a weeks training doesn't seem to be ideal prep going into a game at the weekend.

It would be interesting to know how many players have missed games due to injuries sustained at training as opposed to injuries received during actual matches. We certainly seem to have had an awful lot of them over the past couple of seasons.

36 minutes ago, blueheaven said:

And I'll give you the same response that I gave you when you said it before. I know it's conjecture. I'm not claiming otherwise. I'm giving my opinion based on what I'm seeing, which is the whole point of the forum. I'm not claiming to be a news source.

I literally caveated what I said in my post with "I have no idea what kind of work he's putting in behind the scenes so this may be unfair of me, but my impression of Levein from the outside looking in ..."

I am sure Levein has said on tv and sacked in the morning that as you get older you dont have the energy.  Assume he was talking about himself.  Certainly doesn't look like he has the enthusiasm. 

2 hours ago, Lt. Col Kojak Slaphead II said:

So where are the sport scientists then.

On 4/16/2024 at 11:31 PM, Lt. Col Kojak Slaphead II said:

A valid question.  Do we even have any of those?  I have no idea, but considering the turnover of Physios over the last 2 or 3 years which could match the playing staff turnover I'd have my doubts. 

Just give them Tangin or other opioids and they'll run like stallions 

On 4/15/2024 at 4:03 PM, garydavidson said:

I think he just needs to look through this forum for the line up :)

We do have to be the most predictable team i've watched. if we get a goal, the play that led to it becomes the blue print until it runs out of steam.