The Travel Thread

TheBigCheese

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anybody travelling to the game from Aberdeen, or i'm considering driving if any fancies a lift in my rust bucket.

I will be going from Aberdeen, but not sure if i am driving or training/drinking... may be meeting with a few guys in perth and staying over afterwards...

phone john and get the supporters bus or if you getting the choo choo head to glasgow then head to airdrie i think its the lower platform at queen street

I think drumgelloch station is actually closer to the ground than airdrie station.

But yeah you can get the train from the lower level at queen street.

• 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

A80 road works are getting worse this weekend with the contraflow in place and also a 40mph average speed camera network being put in place. This will mean at least a 2 hour drive to/from Glasgow at weekends. Plus, if you are going to the Killie game, the M8/M77 junction has more roadworks with the new M74 bridge being put in place. I would reckon about 3 1/2 hours to Killie on Saturday

I reckon the best way to go at the moment is to go into Stirling, through Denny and possibly even as far as Cumbernauld on the back roads. Come back out on to the A80 after Condorrat.

Then when you get to Glagsow, if you want to avoid M77 works (which actually weren't that bad last time I went through them) drive through city centre to Pollokshaws or something. Although like I say, the M77 ones weren't half as bad as the A80 ones last time I went through them.

• 2 weeks later...

Im taking the car with the mrs to Aberdeen. Got room for two (no giants please) if anyone fancies petrol sharing. Leaving at 11am from Perth city centre, coming back straight after game. Alternatively if anyone is taking their car and fancies the same PM me and we can sort something out! Word.

Edited by williamwonka

I don't normally go for the away games. I really dislike travelling, especially for the worth of a football game, but I feel like making an exception for the Aberdeen game. Our form is good, theirs is not, could make for an interesting game.

I've never driven to Aberdeen before, been as far as Arbroath but thats about it. Is it a particularly hectic place to be? Can anyone tell me what the ground is like for parking, is the ground easy to find via signposts. I realise I could get most of this information from Google Maps but I'd rather hear first hand accounts. That and the forums a bit dead at half 10 on a wednesday morning.

So whats it like driving to Aberdeen? Is it best to go via Dundee or Forfar? What are facilities like at the ground? How fars the ground from a boozer since I may be taking a few friends? Is it as much of a headache to get out of at full-time as McDiarmid?

Basically, Aberdeen travel questions thread.

Yep, take the Aberdeen Harbour turnoff from the A90. Piece of piss. You should either be able to get parked on Beach Boulevard or in one of the side streets near the ground. Away fans are (usually) at the beach end corner of the stand opposite the main stand. Wrap up warm. It's always ****ing freezing up there, but if the game is shite it's fun watching the seagulls circling overhead.

Very easy place to get to - if coming from Perth or outlying villages on the Scone side then join the A90 at Forfar, otherwise head to Dundee and on from there.

Watch the numerous speed cameras on the road - there are far too many of them for that stretch of road both ways.

Once in Aberdeen, cross the river and then take a right (if I am not mistaken) and drive along the riverside and it is well signposted from there. If up early enough, plenty of parking and some nice places for food and a few beers for your passengers (obvioucly only orange juice for yourself McSaint!!!)

Watch the numerous speed cameras on the road - there are far too many of them for that stretch of road both ways.

For all those that havent made the journey recently there is a new section of 50MPH in the middle of the A90. There is a camera right after entering this Zone. Beware, I have seen this one flash many times in front of me other driver caught unaware

For all those that havent made the journey recently there is a new section of 50MPH in the middle of the A90. There is a camera right after entering this Zone. Beware, I have seen this one flash many times in front of me other driver caught unaware

This is at the Lawrencekirk junction I think. In addition to the cameras, the police also have a habit of hiding up wee farm side roads to try to catch you when you think it's safe. bastards.