Queen of the South vs. Saints 04/08/07

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A good point given the situation, but drawing

against teams like QOTS will not get us up this season!

If your happy with drawing against teams of this caliber I give up!

I am guessing you weren't at the game, Queens looked of decent calibre; solid and focussed at the back, with Dobbie and O'Connor worked tremendously for each other up front. And whilst they didn't have many chances took the ones that came thier way, and very weel i must add.

I have just read TOS' report and agree with it word for word. The defence cost us dear today, Mcmanus and Lawrie looked clueless, but both for different reasons. Lawrie seemed to have no knowledge of the game, his posistioning is rotten, and due to this unless a commanding figure tells him what he should be doing he as good as not playing. On the other hand Mcmanus thought he was Mr Bigshot and strolled around the pitch, clueless of how to deal with Dobbie or O'Connor.

Lawrie's performance brought back too many anxious moments from last season, and although at the end of last season thought he was improving, i feel another right back has to be priority, over even a central midfield player.

On a more upbeat note a great comeback from the boys, and very much a point gained, as 3-1 queens would have been a fair result. Today we have shown we still have the fighting spirit, and that is of great importance.

Take a point away from home in the first game of the season. We played good enough football yesterday but defence was all over the place. Weatherston was class first half but they played him better second half. Hopefully the signing target is a centre midfielder as we are in urgent need of one. I think if we had McFarlane in centre midfield today instead of McInnes we would have won quite easily.

We never played well as a team... but showed a lot of battle and heart, we all know they can play better and will do so... so that coupled with the fight should see us in good stead for this season.

................. I think this sums up yesterday spot on. We were absolutely gash in defence with McManus stuggling badly, Dobbie ran rings round us. Have to give huge credit to Weatherston who played a blinder, his runs at defence from the side were great to watch.

I think there were some positives and certainly the fightback near the end of the match is something we have not had for a couple of seasons.

I am still quietly confident, bring on the "coags".............

Not much to add on what's been said but that was a game we would have lost at the start of last season, without a doubt. The players went that extra mile in the last 5 minutes yesterday and fought hard and got the reward. Great spirit.

Been well documented on but the defence couldn't settle yesterday and Weatherston ended up dropping back far more than he should have. Said it all when Goran Stanic was over defending on the right hand side. Hopefully be worked on this week during training and be sorted for Stirling Albion.

I think we're also not giving Queens enough credit also, we're looking at it from our point of view in which we were disappointing bar a few players Queens were well up for it and have assembled a good squad. We are still trying our striker partnership, whereas O'Connor and Dobbie are settled and this will be their season after gelling last year. I thought the latter (and i'm being genuine here, not biased) had a point to prove and i think he did. Thought he played well yesterday. Neil McFarlane battled for them in midfield and their goalkeeper commanded well and made a few good, confident saves. Was he signed in the summer? I didn't catch his name.

Their goalkeeper commanded well and made a few good, confident saves. Was he signed in the summer? I didn't catch his name.

It's Jamie MacDonald, on loan from Hearts again. He's a decent 'keeper to be honest.

Regarding the highlights, is it certain we'll be able to us away games? I know other clubs do but that's there own highlights AFAIK. Do Saints video away games as well as home games?

It's Jamie MacDonald, on loan from Hearts again. He's a decent 'keeper to be honest.

He certainly made a good save from a Sheerin effort in the first half. Shot look destined for the bottom corner - I thought it was in all the way and was up out of my seat. V embarrassed when he saved it! :oops:

My thoughts on the game:

Day Light Robbery! We didn't deserve anything near a draw. Queens looked the hungrier and fitter team out their. Reminded me of the bad spell we had after the Rangers game!

The defence was everywhere. None of them could handle Dobbie (who proved again we shouldn't have let him go) and the presence of O'Connor. Lawrie was shite, but had a cracking last man tackle to stop a sure goal, after James messed up. McManus was also hopeless. Far to slow and Dobbie took the piss on countless of occasions. James posed no attacking threat as O'Connor was man marking him at set pieces. Goran i thought wasn;t his usual self. A few misplaced passes.

Weatherston was excellent when he took his man on, but didn't do it often enough. Seems to lack the confidence. Was quiet in the second half. Hardie was his usual self did seem a little unfit though and struggled to keep up with the play at times. But his determination took him on and scored a could be important goal. McInnes was posted missing the whole match. Queens won practically every ball in midfield, and had plenty of room their as McInnes was behind the play. Costing us the second goal. Sheerin seemed to turn back into the ghost of a few years ago.

Peaso and Stewart worked hard but go nothing. To similar in players to play together. Far to often their was no one in the box when a ball was played over.

I seen to many similar problems to last year. The players looked unfit(to old maybe) and lacked any motivation or determination to win the game. We do the same old boring set piece, even when it never works. A bit of variety would be nice. Coyle left the subs far to late to make an impact. James should have been stuck up front after we had made it three each - looked like we were playing for a draw even when we had the momentum.

Maybe I've been a bit harsh, but it was a dire performance.

Great Saints Support! Loads of us and noisy aswell!

I went up to Palmerston yesterday and couldn't of put this better myself. Queens were the better side and the Saints performance was a total contrast from the last game I saw the 2-0 win at Gretna.

Did anyone notice that when the second penalty went in the cheering was a bit subdued as though many were slightly embarassed that Saints had to rely on two penalties to get into the game rather from open play.

I hope I see a better performance when I come up to Perth for the Dundee game in a couple of weeks.

sure you weren't getting Stewart and Peaso mixed up

Nope, could not believe the abuse Peaso was getting from some folk, not his greatest game by a long way but to me he was trying and had a couple of attempts, not to mention the pass that put Weatherston away for the first penalty.

If people genuninely think Stewart did more in that game that Peaso then I must have been at the wrong game :)

I don't know what to think about Saturday, going forward I thought we looked very good but at the back - the area I thought would be our strength this season - we were bloody awful thoughout. Lawrie and McManus were both terrible (Lawrie's excellent tackle on O'Connor being the only thing he did right all day) and James seemed incapable of winning a header. Stanic was the only defender who played well and he was extremely unlucky to give away a penalty for next to nothing.

For the Queens goals I thought Main's positioning was poor for the first goal but he might well have expected that someone would have closed down Dobbie or that his defence could clear their lines. He certainly wasn't at fault for the second which was a cracking strike but again the defence failed to clear their lines or close down a man. The third had been coming all day, Lawrie letting a ball bounce over his head instead of challenging then getting nowhere near the ball - a new right back is a priority.

The big plus form Saturday was Weatherston, he's skillful and pacey but doesn't feel the need to beat his man four or five times before going past him. That sort of direct play will work well in this league and long may it continue. Stewart, on first look, looks a bit to lightweight to do anything at this level and Daal looks like Bambi on Ice but seems to be able to put himself about a wee bit more than stewart does.

Overall the performance was a bit dissapointing but if every game has the excitement that one had then I won't complain.

I thought we looked alot better when Daal came on. The 'Big striker, wee striker' combo seemed to suit us better. Also thought MMMH came more influential when Daal came on. In the first half most of the balls were aimed at him and he wasnt getting any, then when 'Bambi on ice' came on he was able to get the flick ons and second balls as he wasnt the main target man.