Celebrity Saints...

Saintkev

You are quite correct. Alan Gorrie is a fervent Saintee and this is mentioned in the book 'Twixt Castle and Mart which is a social history of Needless Road. There are a few other Saints references in this book including that of former player Alan McKillop.

The actor Alistair Mackenzie who played Archie in the BBC series Monarch of the Glen is originally from Calvine and is also a Saints fan.

A social history of Needless Road sounds like an amazing read. Where can i lay my hands upon one?

I'm sure when he was telling the joke he said it took place at 'McDiarmid Stadium', which I think is unforgivable.

I believe Alan Gorrie of the Average White Band may be a Saintee. I certainly recall an article in the herald/scotsman referring to the band's 'fondness' for St Johnstone.

Went to see them play at the Perth Concert Hall, he told the crowd he had a fondness for the Saintees, but his true love was Jeanfield Swifts!!! Think he was having a local laugh

Well if that's the case he should be able to recite some Saints-related tales on the radio, without reciting tales from fanzine articles as if they were his own.

There's a difference between being a celebrity that claims allegiance to Saints and someone who actually counts as a supporter - SoulfulSaint and I have had differences on this forum but you can't doubt his credentials. Same for Colin McCredie.

Soulful Saint is innocent. Chuck fetishises violence through his macho on screen avatar. Peace to the forum and all who inhabit it. To be honest I really hate the 'celebrity' thing, Sergei Baltacha is a celebrity. Fred, Colin me are 'B' division people with jobs in the local Scottish media. Biggest pisser for me is that this so-called 'celebrity' thing has meant that some fud periodically posts falsely using my name. Means I had to leave forum for six-months. Hate stuff like that. C'mon Saints.

Back on thread I once met the former Brookside/Royal Family actress Sue Johnston (Sheila Grant) Because her name is S. Johnston she adopted a soft spot for saintees as a kid, when the name came up on teleprinter.

You are quite correct. Alan Gorrie is a fervent Saintee and this is mentioned in the book 'Twixt Castle and Mart which is a social history of Needless Road. There are a few other Saints references in this book including that of former player Alan McKillop.

The actor Alistair Mackenzie who played Archie in the BBC series Monarch of the Glen is originally from Calvine and is also a Saints fan.

...as is David McKenzie his brother who directed the Film 4 movie 'Hallam Foe.'

...for old R&B trainspotters Allan Gorrie was originally in Perth band the Vikings, then the LOndon based, Scots of St James. Again a high Saintee quotient among both bands.

I also knew Fred years ago and can confirm he was not a "supporter" but did claim Saints as his first allegiance. When he went to work in Glasgow he went to Rangers games along with celeb **** and was thought to be a supporter but when pressed did say that the team he supported was Saints.

Ed robertson from Barenaked Ladies is a confirmed saints fan. When I met them in 2002 i said if they were going to any st johnstone games , they said no. Asked them in 2003, they said no, and the same for 2004,2005. When 2006 came around I traditionally asked them the same question and to my amazement ed replied' no.....but hopefully coyle can take US back to the Major league' Okay he obviously read a british paper that day and added his Canadian take on how the league goes over here but Im convinced hes a saintee.

Back on thread I once met the former Brookside/Royal Family actress Sue Johnston (Sheila Grant) Because her name is S. Johnston she adopted a soft spot for saintees as a kid, when the name came up on teleprinter.

Has she got a website and if so, can you get her to state her allegience, without evidence, she can't make the list!

• 2 weeks later...

Hmmm, at least the Saints have genuine 'celebrity' fans. Most well-kent Jags fans are nothing of the sort and use supporting Thistle as a way of disguising their admiration for one of the ugly sisters. Guys like Connolly and Carlyle spring immediately to mind.

It was sad to hear Kevin McDermott, a man with strong ties to Thistle, admit he's recently succumbed to the pull of the east end of the city. In saying that, given the fact he cited the d*** Campbell era as an excuse, I don't think he's the only one.

Guest Mongy Max

I can confirm that I have a new celeb Saints fan!!!!!!!

At the CSE show for troops in Kandahar last night, I told her all about Saints then I asked singer Lucie Silvas if she would be a Saintee, after looking at me like I had just commited a horrible sex crime on her, she said of course I would, wish them luck!! I dont think she a f^*%@n clue to be honest!

At the CSE show for troops in Kandahar last night, I told her all about Saints then I asked singer Lucie Silvas if she would be a Saintee, after looking at me like I had just commited a horrible sex crime on her, she said of course I would, wish them luck!! I dont think she a f^*%@n clue to be honest!

I don't have a clue either... who she? I need hard evidence to add her to the list...

Guest Mongy Max

Some yank singer, pretty fit actually, even for Kandahar standards!!

she is gonna put somethin on her blog apparently, i ll believe it when i see it, they have gone now, ill wait for the next batch of entertainment which is rumoured to be kid rock and robin williams, courtesy of the yanks again!!

• 1 year later...
ok then, you obviously know him better than me, so i bow to your superior knowledge of the guy and the fact that has been 'reciting talesfrom fanzine articles as if they were his own', is just despicable.

Shame on you fred!

has anyone ever seen him at a game?

I very much doubt it

Guest Bertrand

I was always under the impression Lucie Silvas was Scottish

And that guy from Monarch of the Glen was on channel 5 the other night in some Tv show called the mentalist (cool name) - no ideahe was a saint though

XFM no longer exists - was replaced by Galaxy radio (therefore re-tuning my car radio to destroy all trace of the frequency) - the guy Fraser from XFM towers used to mention saints all the time, and get pelters from hibs fans in particular for doing so for some reason

Excuse my ignorance but who is the "celebrity" that posts on here? Soulful saint? I am indeed very confused?! Could someone clarify this for me!

I was always under the impression Lucie Silvas was Scottish

And that guy from Monarch of the Glen was on channel 5 the other night in some Tv show called the mentalist (cool name) - no ideahe was a saint though

XFM no longer exists - was replaced by Galaxy radio (therefore re-tuning my car radio to destroy all trace of the frequency) - the guy Fraser from XFM towers used to mention saints all the time, and get pelters from hibs fans in particular for doing so for some reason

Excuse my ignorance but who is the "celebrity" that posts on here? Soulful saint? I am indeed very confused?! Could someone clarify this for me!

You are really off the ball mate!:laugh:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/scotland/tv_and_radio/7133168.stm

He is a friend of my brother and I remember him and his brother, Duncan, well from my schooldays. He was at Hampden for the Celtic semi.

I used to see him at games when we were in the First Division during the 1990s, but haven't seen him for years. Pretty sure he normally sat in the Ormond Stand.