ORMOND DAY vs QOS 06/12 - Singing and dancing blue and white choir

why are people looking upon this as a failure, i thought the idea was to create an atmosphere which we did, even with saints not having a good first half we still had it going reasonably well and certainly better than quite a few away games, if we had scored it really would have made the atmosphere even better

i think we should look to keep doing this because i know if we dont then most of us will continue to groan and moan about the 'morgue' like atmosphere at mcd in the east stand

• Replies 681
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Think people are being a bit too quick to give up on this idea.

From sitting in the East stand (first half hour at least) the atmosphere was better than most games at McD. The smaller stand helps the noise level and with some more folk in there it would have been great.

All the things that made Dunfermline work were missing today (good performance, goals, big-ish support for both teams).

With a bigger fixture or better performance I think it could work really well.

Also worth noting that it looked like the police were hell bent on stamping their authority down and ruining the day from the word go! And what was with the copper standing right next to the Queens fans at the back of the main stand watching them for the entire match?!?

Oasis were on TV last week playing a gig at Man City's ground with 40,000 people singing and dancing in the stands. Where is the difference?

I never seen any flags on canes in the ground, did anybody try? Most people had the flags tied round them including my wee lad.

With regard to flags, I was in the Queue at turnstyle for Ormond stand just after 2pm and there was a couple of young lads behind me being told by the Police to remove the canes/sticks from their flags.

Atmosphere today would have been even better if goals were scored, but good none the less.

Today, as with the Dunfermline away day, are incentives that can and will be built on, gaining coverage via various media on the journey towards Saints promotion to the SPL.

It would be boring if every journey we took, to get us from where we are to where we want to be, was on a perfectly flat and perfectly straight road. It's the many twists and turns, dips and rises on the way that makes the journey more interesting and worth while when completed and we have finally reached our destination.:wink:

Atmosphere started off reasonably well in the Ormond stand -but for some reason a hell of a lot therein kinda lost the idea that they were in there to sing and make some noise - thats why it didnt seem as loud as it should have - but the idea shouldnt be lost - seemed to be a bigger crowd all round and there was even a bit of a sing song in the east stand.

All that was missing today was a goal for the Saints. If we had won the game, Ormond Day would have been considered a huge success.

I can't believe the amount of negative feedback on the forum, even if we had 10,000 there today it still needs a performance on the park to keep the crowd going for 90 mins.

The police really have to have a look at themselves regarding the terrible crime of standing up at a football match. If they waited 2 minutes the fans will eventually sit down and the police will avoid the unnecessary embarrassment of having to remove people for absolutely nothing. Common sense please !

I think we should start a campaign for the Ormond Stand to be open for all games!

Well done again for setting this up Ginger, thought it was relatively succesfull considering it the 1st time we have tried this sort of thing at home. As others mentioned only the result and the antics of the polis slightly spoiled things. Looking forward to your next idea Mr Ginger.

Well done for at least trying Ginger (personally from my end of the East Stand the atmosphere was a vast improvement from usual, partly because a certain moaning postie was posted missing) - be interesting to see what ideas the Mr Negatives come up with to either try and help you carry on this initiative or even because they are so superior to take over from you!!

Oo-er, looks like Chuck has stirred a few things up on here :) you weren't the old guy who stopped me as I started the long cimb back to the tannoy box after half time were you? The one who said "more like a wall of death than a wall of sound" :)

Bit unfair but I thought that when the noise was up is was really good but there were too many quiet spells although, fair dos, the team needed to play their part as well and they certainly didn't!!

Be intersting to see what happens next, although I think some of you may have remembered just how cold it can be in the Ormond Stand in the winter :)

I dont see why fans should after sit down nowadays because of the all-seater stands and everything it makes it nearly impossible to run down to the front like the old days. And really the police should relax anyway if they know the fans are sensible why not let them stand up.

I was at an FA Cup match last week, S****horpe - Alfreton, and the police were fine with me and another 800 alfreton fans standing up for the full 90 minutes because thy knew we wasnt causing any trouble.

All i can say is I tried me best, managed to get quite a few songs started with my mate - seemed reasonably easy to get a song started today just people seemed a bit shy, its not even so much the starting of a song, all the songs we sing at saints games get a few rounds but then peter out. Thats the thing that needs to change.

Atmosphere was not helped at all by the freezing cold, 0-0 draw and general non eventful game (i thought).

Overall I was a bit dissapointed but it was definately better than usual, nice to break the 3,000 barrier with just a handful of QOS fans there.

Ghost? Were you sitting behind the goal next to the isle and about half way up? If I it was you good effort, Me and my mate joined in whenever you started singing and started quite a few of our own, think was 2 rows in from and a wee bit to the right.

The Police were on a tirade yesterday, one guy was thrown out right at the start for nothing at all, standing and singing within a group is not a crime

If someone is deliberately standing to create trouble with the Police then fair enough they should be thrown out but for god sake, people get thrown out of McDiarmid for nothing

The Policeman standing right next to the QOS fans was out of order, prisioners don't get watched or treated like that!

It seemed as if the old Policeman in the Ormand Stand was hell bent on stamping 'his authority' on the crowd, one of my mates was on duty in the stand and thankfully didn't think it necessary to throw folk out for nothing

I'm glad people are trying new ideas to get a better atmosphere - but I don't think it weas ever really going to be a roaring success on a freezing cold day against QOS a few weeks before Christmas - things likem this should be used for a game in the Spring in nice weather close to the title celebrations

why are we not allowed to stand?

is it a safety thing? or for others 'viewing pleasure'?

anyone know the reasons?

if it is purely for safety then why is everyone allowed to 'stretch their legs' at half time

i personally thought the polis were bang out of order ejecting folk 2-3 minutes into the game, and that contributed to the lack of others standing for fear of being ejected

also agree with others in the fact that you dont need three strikers to be positive. look at chelsea, 35 goals this season - 5 more than the nearest team (man city) - with a narrow 4-4-2

rant over

I dont think the Ormond day was a failure the only failure was that of the team to produce on the pitch.This in turn was translated to the atmosphere in the stand.I fully expected to return home with no voice but as the game progressed it was clear that singing was not going to be the order of the day its called human nature.I admire and salute folk who sing through thick and thin unfortunatly these types are few.But overall the atmosphere was far better with three stands open it would only take a few hundred more supporters to attend regularly to justify the Ormond being opened again or at least on a more regular basis.

why are we not allowed to stand?

is it a safety thing? or for others 'viewing pleasure'?

anyone know the reasons?

if it is purely for safety then why is everyone allowed to 'stretch their legs' at half time

i personally thought the polis were bang out of order ejecting folk 2-3 minutes into the game, and that contributed to the lack of others standing for fear of being ejected

Why do people feel the need to stand?You arent allowed to stand-thats it!

There were three guys in front of us who stood every time they started to sing.Bloody annoying especially as they sung one line and sat down again.Can people not sing sitting down?

Most of the guys I saw standing are so young they have probably never been on a terracing in there lives and therefore have never stood at a game.

I dont think anyone got ejected.The chap the polce took from his seat was allowed back.

If he hadnt argued with them when they were just doing there job there wouldnt have been a problem.

I did hear one guy say during that incident 'do the polis no read the papers?We are allowed to stand'Where do people get these ideas from?

Standing up doesnt make you a better fan,it just makes you an annoying one.

ray - standing makes for a better atmosphere. i personally was never at the terraces at muirton, but have experienced terracing before and it was much more lively.

if you dont like it - sit in the west/main or try sitting at the front because no-one can annoy you there - unless of course those annoying fans try and sing behind you

ray - standing makes for a better atmosphere. i personally was never at the terraces at muirton, but have experienced terracing before and it was much more lively.

if you dont like it - sit in the west/main or try sitting at the front because no-one can annoy you there - unless of course those annoying fans try and sing behind you

I am aware that standing makes a better atmosphere.But you arent allowed to and if you do it obstructs the view of the people behind you.I am able to sing sitting down and do so on occassion.

why is it that people who sit down for the whole game and want everyone to sit down for the whole game came to the ormond stand where we were meant to be creating an atmosphere? theres rakes of seats where your next to gauranteed no-one will stand up in front you, but no they have to come to the ormond stand to drag the others to sit down too

Yes we can sing sitting down but its frankly quite pish.

why is it that people who sit down for the whole game and want everyone to sit down for the whole game came to the ormond stand where we were meant to be creating an atmosphere? theres rakes of seats where your next to gauranteed no-one will stand up in front you, but no they have to come to the ormond stand to drag the others to sit down too

Yes we can sing sitting down but its frankly quite pish.

This sums up my feelings well, the guy that asked me to sit down after singing a song for about 15 seconds standing up was well out of order. It was only opened to create an atmposhere - he obviously chose to sit in that stand. I was even standing when he took his seat seconds before the flaming kick off. Anyway when I passed comment, he did shuffle along a seat so I suppose fair play.

The polis were just being idiots. No discretion applied what-so-ever. as for the canes getting taken off outside the ground, this is outrageous it was in the bloody paper to take them! Communication is obviously seriously lacking somewhere for this to happen.

I was in the East Stand with the kids though I moved nearer to the Ormond than usual to hear the atmosphere. Personally I thought that it was qualified success, especially early on. A goal would have helped keep it going though.

Not a great difference to the support in the E. Stand though obvious the usual guys were away from the away end.

Anyway not too bad crowd considering there were not very many QOS through.