Youth News 2009/10

Dev

No surprise there!! All I am saying is that whilst the big clubs have more scouts the scouts go looking at tip offs and players that they have been told to have a look at,

I know, so do we. But you'd struggle to go to Parkbrox or Ibhead and speak with their Head of Youth Development in order to make a player recommendation. You can at Saints and that's mostly because we are a wee team.

• Replies 399
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know, so do we. But you'd struggle to go to Parkbrox or Ibhead and speak with their Head of Youth Development in order to make a player recommendation. You can at Saints and that's mostly because we are a wee team.

No not a problem! You can call both grounds and speak to that Dept.

Or in some cases you might have their assistants mobile nos in your phone,

most of saints coaches are from perth how the hell are they not watching players 2 weegies yet virtually everyplayer we get is from outwith perth it cannot be difficult to wartch games and select boys

yes but what they are looking at is the standard of the players overall. Whilst you may think that a player is of high quality the coach may think that in comparison with someone else he falls below the standard.

This is not just a complaint about Saints there is aexactly the same complaint made about other teams in the country. Aberdeen bus their players up from Glasgow for under 12's fixtures. The Alloa touchline is a mixture of east and west coast accents half the time.

Also these coaches will have teams to take on sundays when the boys fixtures are on so you can't slag them.

Would be great to hear some audio from Alec or Tommy after these games. Might create some enthusiasm and encourage a few more fans to turn out and back our young lads.

Sorry but i find it a bit sad that people have nothing better to do than go and watch the under 15's etc (I would include going to watch the first team train in the same bracket). Even at under 19's its all about developing players not having supporters coming along and shouting from the sidelines.

Fair enough if you have a relative etc in the team but do the youths really need backing?

The reports on the web site suffice to let the supporters know what's going on and we can then back the players when they are developed in the first team.

As to the comment on scouts, I know from speaking to TC in the past we have a team of scouts, they do watch games in Perth (He was able to tell me enough about the team I was coaching with at the time to prove we had been looked at) but they also look at players from all over Scotland. Players need to remember the standard in the Perth and Kinross or Dundee leagues is not as high as say Fife or Glasgow so a star in Perth may not even get in a side else where.

Sorry but i find it a bit sad that people have nothing better to do than go and watch the under 15's etc (I would include going to watch the first team train in the same bracket). Even at under 19's its all about developing players not having supporters coming along and shouting from the sidelines.

Fair enough if you have a relative etc in the team but do the youths really need backing?

Real I find your attitude really strange given that you no doubt like watching football yourself.

Some folk actually enjoy watching football irrespective of who is playing. I am one of these sad people (as you put it) who go and drive through to Perth to watch the under 15's etc when I have time and went to watch the 19's play motherwell, just in the same way as I will go and see a sunday league match or a boys team match. I was working to lunch time yesterday so couldn't make it through to Paisley so I actually went and watched the Falkirk v Aberdeen youth game at Stirling.

And I think the answer to your question is that it does not do them any harm to have folk along watching them and showing an interest,.

Real I find your attitude really strange given that you no doubt like watching football yourself.

Some folk actually enjoy watching football irrespective of who is playing. I am one of these sad people (as you put it) who go and drive through to Perth to watch the under 15's etc when I have time and went to watch the 19's play motherwell, just in the same way as I will go and see a sunday league match or a boys team match. I was working to lunch time yesterday so couldn't make it through to Paisley so I actually went and watched the Falkirk v Aberdeen youth game at Stirling.

And I think the answer to your question is that it does not do them any harm to have folk along watching them and showing an interest,.

I can understand people stopping and watching a game in the local park but not driving miles to "support" an under 15 team. If your job is so flexible that you can do that then good luck. I know you put a lot of time into your own youth side, but too many other people just watch. We need more people to participate. If Rangers under 5's were playing Celtic under 5's they would probably get 10,000 to come and watch.

At risk of contradicting myself I would say that by watching these games you will help your own players as you are bound to pick up some things but the point was more raised at those who get excited if our under 15's beat Motherwell but the also think the world is going to end because the 17's lose to Alloa.

At risk of contradicting myself I would say that by watching these games you will help your own players as you are bound to pick up some things but the point was more raised at those who get excited if our under 15's beat Motherwell but the also think the world is going to end because the 17's lose to Alloa.

I know what you mean, But just like picking points up from matches you also pick up a few points watching training sessions.

And I don't have that flexible a job and taht's why i only see the training if I am on holiday. Flexi and a blackberry is great on a Friday afternoon though.

I rekon all the coaches and players will know who is SCORING the goals and who is DEFENDING well too:roll:

Team game not just strikers:wink:

That's very interesting, I never knew that. :)

I guess McInnes and the players know who scores, defends etc. but so do we. Only because we live in an open society with freedom of information. :wink:

I reckon you've not spelled reckon correctly. Who is scoring the goals ya wee defender person?

U19s lost 4-2 to Hibs today, according to their boards. Was 1-1 at half-time and although we pulled it back to 3-2 at one point in the second half, they sealed the win late on. Darren Kelly and Stevie May with our goals.

Team: Duffy, Hemsley, Sullivan, Shields, Alexander, Durnan, Kelly, O'Hear, Caddis, May, McIntosh. Subs: Moffat, Steves, Fisher.

U19s lost 4-2 to Hibs today, according to their boards. Was 1-1 at half-time and although we pulled it back to 3-2 at one point in the second half, they sealed the win late on. Darren Kelly and Stevie May with our goals.

Team: Duffy, Hemsley, Sullivan, Shields, Alexander, Durnan, Kelly, O'Hear, Caddis, May, McIntosh. Subs: Moffat, Steves, Fisher.

One of the problems of these games being on a Saturday is that the boys on the bench with the first team are missing out.

No disgrace but they are struggling a bit this year after suffering a 5-0 defeat at hands of Hamilton last saturday.

Think you will find that was a one off. Hibs had won 2 of 3 before that Accies game and had drawn 0-0 with Celtic who are undefeated and possibly top.

St Johnstone 19s have a very good team when all are fit and available, but their squad is not as strong as some of the other teams in the league.

I think some of the teams in the league will underestimate St Johnstone 19s as St Mirren did last week to their cost.

What most people dont realise is that the u19s league, whilst nice to do well in is NOT about the result, but about bringing players through who can compete for a first team place.

Our 19s are really 17s in disguise, and most qualify to play 19s next year, and the fundamental facts are that there around 6-7 players who have a chance of progressing

Think you will find that was a one off. Hibs had won 2 of 3 before that Accies game and had drawn 0-0 with Celtic who are undefeated and possibly top.

St Johnstone 19s have a very good team when all are fit and available, but their squad is not as strong as some of the other teams in the league.

I think some of the teams in the league will underestimate St Johnstone 19s as St Mirren did last week to their cost.

What most people dont realise is that the u19s league, whilst nice to do well in is NOT about the result, but about bringing players through who can compete for a first team place.

Our 19s are really 17s in disguise, and most qualify to play 19s next year, and the fundamental facts are that there around 6-7 players who have a chance of progressing

Henry you are going to fall off that high horse and hurt yourself one of these days.

I am not criticising the youths and Iam not saying that scores are the be all and end all of youth football.

If you look at the scores throughout the U19 league you will see that there are many strange and unpredictable results, Dundee Utd beating motherwell yesterday Hamilton losing to Killie 6-0 and Aberdeen 5-0 and then beating Hibs 5-0.

It is as you say all about getting players through but you also want to try at under 19 level to have a good competitive team. Motherwerll for instance had the youngest team in the league last year and are sitting top this year, that is development.

SPL are also showing yesterdays result as 4-1.

Edited by mainstand

Henry you are going to fall off that high horse and hurt yourself one of these days.

I am not criticising the youths and Iam not saying that scores are the be all and end all of youth football.

If you look at the scores throughout the U19 league you will see that there are many strange and unpredictable results, Dundee Utd beating motherwell yesterday Hamilton losing to Killie 6-0 and Aberdeen 5-0 and then beating Hibs 5-0.

It is as you say all about getting players through but you also want to try at under 19 level to have a good competitive team. Motherwerll for instance had the youngest team in the league last year and are sitting top this year, that is development.

SPL are also showing yesterdays result as 4-1.

The SPL result is wrong. It was 4-2 as Stevie May scored.

No high horse here mainstand, only facts

FACT St Johnstone have a very good team when all are fit and available, but no great strength in depth

FACT St Johnstone have the youngest team in the division, rather like Motherwell last year and look at the difference this year at Well with another year under their belt.

FACT. Very much like the 1st team, we need to be ruthless when chances come along as other teams tend to punish us when they get chances.

There is very little between most teams and it is very much " on the day"