Is it right for st.johnstone fans to fly the union jack and tri colour

THE LARK SAINT

Is it ok for saints fans to fly the /union jack /tricolour  

100 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One of the common demoninators that truly defines a St.Johnstone fan for me is the equal dislike of both sides of the old firm. Flying the union flag or the tricolour at a football match in Scotland affiliates you with either side of the old firm. You only need to look at Hearts, Dundee and Airdrie. Would you really want Saints to be the 4th club on that list?

This may be a joke and good wind up but be wary where it all ends.

Hibernian fans fly the Irish tri colour because of their Irish roots and has absolutely nothing to do with siding with Celtic, they were formed long before Celtic and were the first team to have an Irish connection in Scottish football,then Celtic and much later Dundee Hibs who we now know as Dundee United. Hibs changed their club badge many seasons back and omitted the Irish Harp from the club badge which did not go down well with their supporters but after a long campaign it was rightly brought back to the shirt of a club who are proud of their Irish roots and rightly so.

Seems like some people's true colours are coming out now.

In 30-odd years of supporting Saints I've never seen a Rangers flag or a Celtic flag at either of our beautiful grounds and I don't think we need to start that p*sh now. (Seen plenty of the former at Dens in times gone by, and I certainly don't think that's anything we want to be associated with.)

The best flag for supporting Saints is a saltire, especially when it has the words First Division Champions on it.

we dont have red in our kit, we dont have green in our colours, so the only reason I could see having one of the flags, as if the players name was clearly marked on it. Although I did not find the T&T flag repulsive without Jason Scotlands name on it, Id certainly have a strange thought if peeps were turning up with the flags in question.

In the tiny country of Scotland and the SPL, we would be associated with the bigots on the west coast. Although singing hail hail the saints are here with the union flag would confuse the hell out of the majority of bigots :)

no thanks to the two flags in question.

Sew the two together and make it a big banner. Normal fans would get it but the OF ones' last remaining brain cells would give up trying to cope with the irony ! :laugh:

YES! Finally someone who agrees!

Both can be waved together as well as the Saltire!

This would in my opinion have the best result as it would completely confuse/infuriate the majority of OF fans and I reckon we'd be complimented by others for doing so.

saltire_union_jack_stirling8554a.jpg

sorted :laugh::wink:

Could you take the red bit out of the flag on the right. :laugh:

Scotland is a country it's just that it's in two unions at present - the UK and the EEC, the former having lasted since 1707.

The United States is different in that although it is constuted by 50 states, they are not individual counties so there is only one country. Over here we have England, Wales and Scotland as countries and Northern Ireland as a province since it has never had national status and that might be a lot to do with some of its problems, it doesn't know what it is so it just copies England (67% want to stay with Britain) and has other institutions to copy Ireland for those concerned (33%).

I think Jody, Gartland and Sammy know their playing for a Scottish club somehow. :)

Summary: Saints flag should be the Saltire.

(Rangers and Celtic - now there's a real problem, very odd with a confused identity).

Wouldn't this leave some sort of Finnish/Scottish flag? :?

Might have worked for Mixu! :wink:

Not really, if you take away the red English George Cross you get the Scottish flag. :laugh: True I've done it. I've always thought that it was a sneaky snidey act to place the English flag over ours instead of under. It was subtle and a sign of Things to come e.g. Let's call the Bank Of Britain the Bank Of England. Slippery slope.